Author Topic: is goin crankless good?  (Read 8817 times)

Offline tallyman

• Forkglider
is goin crankless good?
« on: January 28, 2008, 04:51:38 PM »
i jus went crankless today and i want to know if its a good idea like on learnin tricks because i dont have much money to go out and build a new back wheel with a freecoaster ha

Offline Robbie Belding

• Funky Chicken
Re: is goin crankless good?
« Reply #1 on: January 28, 2008, 04:57:39 PM »
well I am in the same position as you. I rode crankless in my basement and I found it kinda easier to monouver and all that jazz. Plus I found it better to balance steams too lol.

Ill give you some pros and cons to crankless-

Pros- No pedals getting in the way, Easier balance, no pedals going into your leg.

Cons-You have to push to get speed, some tricks involve pedals(Some of the cool tricks),

If I were you I would buy some small pegs then it would perfect for you.

Offline tallyman

• Forkglider
« Reply #2 on: January 28, 2008, 05:04:09 PM »
ight thanks man =) um quick question though i have my sprocket still on the bike its pretty small though but the only way i cude take it off is pulling the spindal out of the rame and then takin the sprocket off now wen i do tht is it goin to make the pressed bearings come out?

Offline Robbie Belding

• Funky Chicken
« Reply #3 on: January 28, 2008, 05:11:08 PM »
umm I think it would but if it doesn't take that spindle out then use something small piece
of wood or something to fit into the hole of the bearing. gently hammer out the bearings then BAM! job done.

Offline Patrick Stadler

• Backpacker
  • awesome !
« Reply #4 on: January 28, 2008, 05:13:21 PM »
no the bearings are gonna stay in , even if you take away the spindal, and take it away lol its useless wait when ridin crankless  :P

timk4130

« Reply #5 on: January 28, 2008, 05:14:07 PM »
also cons involve  when you put them back on........... you are going to have to adjust to  the weight difference

also , it is not a bike you are riding ,it is a scooter!

Offline tallyman

• Forkglider
« Reply #6 on: January 28, 2008, 05:27:03 PM »
lmao why is it a scooter dude?

Offline Robbie Belding

• Funky Chicken
« Reply #7 on: January 28, 2008, 05:37:49 PM »
Well I hate to say this but it is called a scooter because you know you have to push a scooter. Without cranks you have to push your bike.

Offline Moya-1

• Cliffhanger
« Reply #8 on: January 28, 2008, 05:41:45 PM »
im riding crankless now cuz ive broke my freecoster... so i put a fronwheel in the back...
i have learn many tricks since then.  :ph34r:

Max S

« Reply #9 on: January 28, 2008, 05:42:18 PM »
I rode crankless for close to 1 year and I found that it really helped my riding. The biggest issue that I had when putting cranks back on was adjusting to the extra weight. Don't listen to the haters on here who are going to give you shiit about it being a scooter. If Wolfgang is riding a scooter then flatland on a scooter is cool with me.

Take your bottom bracket out, get a couple of the pegs that I have linked to(or make your own), and put a bolt through with a washer and locknut and you will have a small platform to put your feet on and they will not damage the threads in you BB shell. Have fun with it.

http://www.danscomp.com/518176.php?cat=PARTS
« Last Edit: January 28, 2008, 05:57:00 PM by Silky Johnson »

Offline tallyman

• Forkglider
« Reply #10 on: January 28, 2008, 05:53:30 PM »
o ok i get why its called a scooter haha but o well i still love riding

sumthinluv

« Reply #11 on: January 28, 2008, 06:23:40 PM »
Con - You can no longer ride down to your spot/shops/pub! lol

You could always just go chainless if you want that freecoaster feeling? And if you need to ride to your spot you could get one of those links in your chain that you can undo (I've forgotten the name) so you can take it off once you get to your riding spot, then put it back on when you're done.

TJ Perry

« Reply #12 on: January 28, 2008, 06:50:41 PM »
Asking if going crankless is a good idea, is along the same lines as asking if stapling your dick to your leg is a good idea because the damn thing gets in the way all the time.

No, it's not a good idea.

Offline RhodeIslandRick

• Hitchhiker
« Reply #13 on: January 28, 2008, 06:54:09 PM »
If Steve O can staple his sack to his legs then tallyman can take his cranks off

Offline AbFeR

« Reply #14 on: January 28, 2008, 07:05:40 PM »
those peg on dans how big are they will they fit in a Spanish bb????