Author Topic: i need a riding spot  (Read 4311 times)

Offline Rennace

• Funky Chicken
i need a riding spot
« on: November 25, 2007, 12:56:11 AM »
been riding for about 3 months now and my progession is so slow.... i ride outside of my house and i think that is probably one of the main problems, i dont have a riding spot.  My self esteem is also pretty low with flatland the same neighbors watch me everyday and i can just think of them saying shouldnt he  just give up already.  Also it gets a bit annoying having cars pass up and down the street.  My streets arent even flat they curve in and or sort of like a sloped surface the only thing i have truley dialed is basics like fork glide, trackstand (scuff, squeak, etc.).  I have a couple options for a riding spot, one is a nice smooth parking lot behind a rite aid but the con is that there is a dog that barks his ass off each time i try to ride there and i would hate to disturb neighbors and there is a school which is basically a flatland heaven with a huge white top but i have a feeling if i rode there it would be just a matter of time before local police tell me to get out or something.  im also a very shy rider so i really dont intend to grab just any parking lot (most parking lots near here are located near major streets)  So just wondering what do you think will work best for me?  I cant stand practing outside my home anymore do any of you guys practice on sloped surfaces and are making progression?  im trying to get scuffing and some basic rolling down before the year ends.  Thanks for yall guys help and im sorry if this post sounds like too whinny and sorry about the grammer  :P

Offline blind

• GF Inhabitant
Re: i need a riding spot
« Reply #1 on: November 25, 2007, 01:11:19 AM »
dont be a puss

spot # 1 dog barking,is it your dog? no then f*ck it let the owner deal with it.is it your fault they cant control there dog?hell no.

spot # 2 is there signs posted?if not f*ck it ride there till they kick you out.when they kick you out just wait a week and go back.

in front of your house- just ride it if u want f*ck what your neighbors think.cant be worried bout other ppl like that.dont let that sh*t imped your progress.worry bout yourselfand u doing what u want. the place i ride at is in a public park with a sh*t load of ppl walking around.for the first bit i played it safe and didnt fall cuz i was worded bout other ppl.it slowed my learning so i said fuk it now i be falling into ppl hitting dogs and sh*t.fuk it they will live. now go ride.

Offline blind

• GF Inhabitant
« Reply #2 on: November 25, 2007, 01:12:51 AM »
oyeah as for riding on a slope i learned 90 % of my tricks on a slow slope.

Offline x james x

• Cliffhanger
« Reply #3 on: November 25, 2007, 01:18:02 AM »
I love a good slope. Makes rolling tricks a blast.

Offline Rennace

• Funky Chicken
« Reply #4 on: November 25, 2007, 01:20:23 AM »
but slope i mean that the surface is not flat it slops upward (slightly) one way and slopes downward the other way sometimes it throws my balance off for rolling tricks sometimes it helps but i find it easier rolling on a smooth surface, trying to work on a peg wheelie and backwards steamroller as of right now

monkeyflat

« Reply #5 on: November 25, 2007, 01:42:16 AM »
none of that sounds like a real problem...stop making excuses to yourself....if you dont like people ...like i dont....go ride somewhere at a quiet alone spot...or late at night...or put your headphones on - f*ck if people want to watch and talk sh*t

Offline Rennace

• Funky Chicken
« Reply #6 on: November 25, 2007, 01:52:45 AM »
im not trying to make excuses for myself.  i ride everyday sometimes for 6 to 8 hours and i get nowhere.  Its really frustrating, right now i just need a spot to get away from everything and just work on some stuff.  my street just dosent feel comfortable.  Its funny though every now and then ill find a kid who thinks the stuff i do is extreme and is all like woah just the other day i blew a kids mind away by doing pogos haha

joelweevil

« Reply #7 on: November 25, 2007, 01:56:23 AM »
quit and play video games. no dont do that. dude, you have some issues to get over if you want to ride. screw everyone around you and what they think of what you are doing. are you riding for them? thought so. put your headphones on and ride. go to the rite aid and let the dog bark. he'll quiet down. go test the waters at the white top. if a cop asks what youre doing, show him. be respectful though, cuz that can make or break the spot like that! and really, you shouldn't be playing in the street, you could hit a car. im shy too, but that doesn't stop my affair with my bike. like i read on here somewhere before, flatland isn't about pulling a trick then looking up to see who, if anyone, saw you. get in a zone and work work work!

Offline bloody0sabbath

• Backpacker
« Reply #8 on: November 25, 2007, 02:23:14 AM »
i have had the cops called on me so many times in front of my night spot  , i just ride for a bit and then just leave for 20 minutes come back. never ran in to the cops, makes me wonder if they even are calling the cops :P

If you are frustrated about riding your bike try a unbike, i rode mine most of this summer, didnt  touch my bike. After about 6 months of the unbike tricks are falling in to my lab, its Great. ;D
I'd Yield to the devil instantly, Did it not happen that myself am he!

Offline Rennace

• Funky Chicken
« Reply #9 on: November 25, 2007, 02:27:48 AM »
i was actually thinking of an unbike for a christmas present or something, i dont feel like the hassle of buying individual parts so where can you buy one whole ?  on flatlandfuel i belive its temporarily unavailable any help

Offline flatrider16

« Reply #10 on: November 25, 2007, 03:02:38 AM »
im about the same skill level as you. im not really worried about progressing really fast. i mean, of course i want to progress, but if progressing is getting frustrated all the time and not enjoying myself, then screw that!!!

music, patience, and a positive attitude.  ;D :beer:
« Last Edit: November 25, 2007, 03:05:11 AM by flatrider16 »

Duncan

« Reply #11 on: November 25, 2007, 03:10:43 AM »
Unless flatland fuel is selling full unbikes, you are going to have to build your own.

It's just a front wheel, 2 pegs, fork, stem, and bars. Not some huge expense, and the parts are good as spares.

Offline x james x

• Cliffhanger
« Reply #12 on: November 25, 2007, 03:12:07 AM »
I just ride around till I feel the need to bust something out. Then ride somemore, allthough that need to do a trick or 2 has been known to go on for hours. I also agree with music. Headphones in, world out. Works like a charm. As far as a spot, ride what ya got, I learned tailwhips in the grass dog. If you want to ride, you will ride.

Offline Mr.Jowee

• GF Inhabitant
« Reply #13 on: November 25, 2007, 07:07:04 AM »
I learned squeakers on my street. Same scenario; huge slope with everyone watching. I learned wheel chairs in my drive way. It slopes toward the street. I rode at a hand ball court for more than a year with two dogs barking so angrliy that I'm absolutely convinced they would have mauled me to death if they had found a way to escape. But they usually got used to me being there after 10 minutes. I'm sure the neghbors where used to it anyway, since it was a public playground.

Give the Rite Aid and the school a shot. Chances are you won't be kicked out of the school if you're there by yourself and not making a lot of noise. If you are kicked out, no big deal. You should know that being kicked out (usually just "asked to leave") happens all the time, and the police genrally don't want to be bothered with some petty bs like some guy loitering. Just don't jump any fences, don't run from the cops, and don't break any real laws.

Offline x james x

• Cliffhanger
« Reply #14 on: November 25, 2007, 07:33:19 AM »
I found that at schools, if you try to stay away from the actual building and stay in plain sight your alot less likely to get messed with. Make it obvious what your doing.