Author Topic: Longest TT? Strowler?  (Read 5052 times)

Offline shanno

Longest TT? Strowler?
« on: November 16, 2007, 04:43:55 PM »
This is directed at all you guys above 6'3". And all you knowledgeable frame experts.  My size 13's and height are finding my 07 metric a little cramped. Not unrideable, but a bit more room would be great.  I am looking for a frame with rear brake mounts that is a bit longer, I would really like to run a 0 offset stem/bar, but that is just not going to happen on the Metric.  The Hoffman Strowler is the "biggest" I have found, anything else I should look at?
 Bonus Question:  Anybody run the Sequence Null Zero Stem, looking at the pic of it, I am wondering if there are problems with runing the front brake cable once the handlebars are installed?

Thanks!!

Offline D

• Deathtrucker
Re: Longest TT? Strowler?
« Reply #1 on: November 16, 2007, 04:53:17 PM »
I would look into some middle sized street frames, like maybe something with a 20" TT and a 13.75" back end.  It's my opinion that lots of flatland frames designs have gone way overboard with shortening the frames.  The back ends of some of these bikes are just way, way too short.  13.5, or at the most 13.25, works great for most things.  I think (and again this is just my opinion), that at the most 18.75" is about as short a TT as most people need.  19-20 should be perfect for most people in the height range of 5'8"-6'0" or so.  Remember when you look a signature frame, keep in mind who it was designed for.  Many of them are made for Japanese guys who might be 5'5" or something.  Since there are basically no guidelines for frame sizing (unlike other forms of bike riding), you're on your own when it comes to findind a frame that will fit you.  When I rode with Kevin Jones last year (before the Strowler came out) he was tearing it up on a 20.5" TT bike.  He's tall but not taller than 6' or 6' 1" I would imagine.  Trevor has ridden a 21" TT bike for years and he is about your height.     

Offline shanno

« Reply #2 on: November 16, 2007, 10:51:27 PM »
I will start surfing the web now for some street frames to see what my options are.  Thanks for the idea, guess I was thinking I had to stay in the flatland frame area, but it makes sense too me!

Offline standard146

• Hitchhiker
« Reply #3 on: November 17, 2007, 12:36:18 AM »
quamen makes some street frames

g-man

« Reply #4 on: November 17, 2007, 12:54:49 AM »
check out the macneil whitton 2, the 20" model is under 5lbs. has mounts and is
bulletproof for flat. thats the direction iam thinking of heading; i miss rear brakes
and dont like my feet hitting pegs when I ride my 07 sinus

Offline trevoro

• Cliffhanger
« Reply #5 on: November 17, 2007, 03:16:44 AM »
I will start surfing the web now for some street frames to see what my options are.  Thanks for the idea, guess I was thinking I had to stay in the flatland frame area, but it makes sense too me!

I am a recent convert to the big bike school of thought. I am currently riding a 20.25" Hoffman Loyalty, and ordered a 20" WTP Lofi. I chose that frame for a few reasons: low TT, 75* HTA, 20" (yea!!), shortish back end at 13.5 or so, and...its light and comes with a 2 year warranty. Granted, it is a little bit more money than some of the other frames out there. I'll let you know if it's worth it.

I would also recommend the new Fly Tierra, which also has a nice low TT, is light, and comes in good sizes.

I also agree with the above.

Offline FlatismŽ

• GF Inhabitant
    • Flatism
« Reply #6 on: November 18, 2007, 02:09:02 PM »
Both the LoFI FLy Tierra look lush!

« Last Edit: November 18, 2007, 02:11:10 PM by Trevis »
Flat-ism

Offline FlatismŽ

• GF Inhabitant
    • Flatism
« Reply #7 on: November 18, 2007, 02:15:32 PM »
Since there are basically no guidelines for frame sizing (unlike other forms of bike riding), 

Intresting point !! what do you reckon the guidelines examples should be?
« Last Edit: November 18, 2007, 02:19:16 PM by Trevis »
Flat-ism

g-man

« Reply #8 on: November 19, 2007, 10:29:17 PM »
That lofi looks sweet, thanks for pointing it out and you weren't kidding it isn't
cheap. Post a report when you get to ride it.

Offline stvnlpsly

• GF Inhabitant
  • Quest BMX
    • Quest BMX
« Reply #9 on: November 20, 2007, 01:55:33 AM »
look into a sunday.  i know a few guys who ride it for flatland.  the frame is badass and if it were shorter than 20" i'd ride one myself.  i think kent pearson rides one...not sure though.  it has a pretty short end 13.25 or something, but it's angles are good and geared towards being quick and responsive street frame.  plus Jim C. is a cool ass guy!

And G-Man - Go Sabres!!

g-man

« Reply #10 on: November 20, 2007, 05:45:17 AM »
cool man , go hockey, luv hockey ,sabres are the best coached team in league and
are fun to watch every year. 

Offline DLSJ_BermudaRider

• Funky Chicken
« Reply #11 on: November 20, 2007, 06:05:52 AM »
On another note does anybody have a Strowler frame built up? Or any videos on anyone riding this frame? I'm really interested in the longer frame though. I can't ride anything under 19inch.

Offline Nogglefish

« Reply #12 on: November 20, 2007, 03:11:54 PM »
My Strowler frame arrived last night.  The size is looking pretty promising - I'm 6'1", long arms, long legs. 

No clue what I'm going to build it up with yet...

Offline trevoro

• Cliffhanger
« Reply #13 on: November 21, 2007, 02:31:53 AM »
i got my wtp lofi today.

20" is nice. but maybe the bigger size would've been cool too...psych!

pics in due time.

Offline stvnlpsly

• GF Inhabitant
  • Quest BMX
    • Quest BMX
« Reply #14 on: November 21, 2007, 04:33:36 PM »
On the bmxfreestyler page they have some footage of the jam/contest they just had down there in TX, you can see pics of Art T and some clips of him in the video also riding his yellow Strowler