Author Topic: KHE Reverse and Geisha field reports  (Read 7621 times)

Offline JAY1WM

• Cliffhanger
  • 1WM
    • 1WMBMX
Re: KHE Reverse and Geisha field reports
« Reply #15 on: November 17, 2007, 01:41:36 PM »
i just have to say i bought a geisha and it never worked right- it would lock up and pedal forwards-i am a heavy guy (215) so this may something to do with it- so if you did a pedalling trick the cranks would move after you went back to pegs like a fixed hub- no reply from manufacturer-

dose anyone know how to sort this problem out ?

Offline shahar963

• Forkglider
« Reply #16 on: November 17, 2007, 04:59:41 PM »
I was just about to order a new freecoaster, I'm thinking about the KHE Reverse or the Geisha street, accourding to what I understood the Reverse is am improvment of the Geisha so Reverse will be the right choise?
flatland style

Offline Peter Hollinger

• GF Inhabitant
« Reply #17 on: November 18, 2007, 02:24:45 AM »
I tried to order a Reverse for a customer last week and was told by a reliable source i couldnt, they are being recalled because they, in his words "are sh*te".

Anyone else heard this?

Offline ColinSmith

• Backpacker
« Reply #18 on: November 18, 2007, 03:03:53 AM »
i just have to say i bought a geisha and it never worked right- it would lock up and pedal forwards

dose anyone know how to sort this problem out ?

I don't know if this is some geisha specific thing going on, but with other free coasters, when they want to pedal forwards you need to get more friction in the drive train - run the chain tight and stop the BB from spinning too easy.

In the old days (US BB) you'd just take out the crank spacer and crank down on the bearing a bit, euro BBs really don't like that, and die right away. I have some grip flanges (rubber) on the spacer inside the BB to stiffen things up.

But..... I'm still Nankaiing..... and that thing just keeps on gliding along.... not sure what you are doing to your ones.... ;-)

TJ Perry

« Reply #19 on: November 18, 2007, 03:57:31 AM »

In the old days (US BB) you'd just take out the crank spacer and crank down on the bearing a bit, euro BBs really don't like that, and die right away. I have some grip flanges (rubber) on the spacer inside the BB to stiffen things up.

That is ingenious. 

Offline Paradoxium

• Administrator
  • GF Inhabitant
« Reply #20 on: November 18, 2007, 11:19:49 AM »
I have had a street geisha for around two years now and its as good as the day I got it, no backpedal and spins forever. However, nankai's too can last a long time, its really about how well they are set up , looked after, and serviced. I actually like my geisha better than my sym and nankai though. Its all opinion.

The ppl that had problems with driver bearings blowing up may have had a hub from a bad batch where the inside diameter of the bearing housing was too tight a fit to seat the bearing correctly, leaving such a tight fit will result in the outer bearing casing to crack, then fail. This is just my opinion from all the posts I have read about any geisha problems.

Offline Paradoxium

• Administrator
  • GF Inhabitant
« Reply #21 on: November 18, 2007, 11:23:09 AM »

That is ingenious. 

Yes Colin, I second that notion, THAT IS INGENIOUS! :mellow:

Offline sakis

• GF Inhabitant
« Reply #22 on: November 18, 2007, 11:31:37 AM »
i have changed dragonfly,dna,standard,nankai and reverse by this order.
i had my nankai for 5-6 years and its very good if you are talking care of it once in a while.
i make it with bigger gap so the pedal doesnt stuck and it was rolling very good.
the pedal was turning backwards in some tricks i was making on the pedals but it was okay.
this summer i bought a reverse, its much better than the nankai.
the pedal never stucks maybe one time in three months.
I have a small problem though it doesnt roll so good,i ll open in and regrease it soon but my friends geisha spins much better.
my vote is for the geisha but if you want something strong like solid axle and stuff i recomend the reverse

Offline Paradoxium

• Administrator
  • GF Inhabitant
« Reply #23 on: November 18, 2007, 11:34:41 AM »
i had my nankai for 5-6 years and its very good if you are talking care of it once in a while.
i make it with bigger gap so the pedal doesnt stuck and it was rolling very good.
the pedal was turning backwards in some tricks i was making on the pedals but it was okay.
I have a small problem though it doesnt roll so good,i ll open in and regrease it soon but my friends geisha spins much better.
my vote is for the geisha but if you want something strong like solid axle and stuff i recomend the reverse

Yeah, I read your thread about your reverse not rolling good, but not sure why that is the case. Something must not be right, it should roll really well. Just grease it up inside with some good grease, and hope for the best.

Offline sakis

• GF Inhabitant
« Reply #24 on: November 18, 2007, 11:44:21 AM »

Yeah, I read your thread about your reverse not rolling good, but not sure why that is the case. Something must not be right, it should roll really well. Just grease it up inside with some good grease, and hope for the best.
maybe its because i changed axle and i regrease it more than i should.
i ll check it again soon,but its very dificultt to remove the axle even with a plastic hammer.
i remove the sprocket driver as it says on khe site
and then hit the axle but the when i did that the small bearings on the axle pressed inside and then the axle was destroyed ..
so i put a new one and now i m afraid if the same thing will happen with the new axle..
it needs a lot of attention,maybe its because the hub is fitting with very big dificulty into the shell

Offline Paradoxium

• Administrator
  • GF Inhabitant
« Reply #25 on: November 18, 2007, 11:58:46 AM »
I haven't had a 14 mm axle, so Im not too sure about it. My advice would be too ask KHE nicely by email, or even Pat at FF,  or maybe Bram , because he is sponsored by KHE , he may have more info on this reverse hub. Good luck.

Offline DaviD (dave0)

• GF Inhabitant
  • Flatland from Israel
« Reply #26 on: November 19, 2007, 07:10:26 PM »
i got the geisha, its my first coaster and no problems meanwhile.. rolls more than my front that rolls forever  ^_^

Offline FlatismŽ

• GF Inhabitant
    • Flatism
« Reply #27 on: November 19, 2007, 07:55:59 PM »
mines a pain in the ass. It ghosts forwards and has side 2 cide play. Well gutted when I laced up a new wheel-set to discover the old set performed better. Oh well sometimes you have to learn the ard way...
Flat-ism

Offline DaviD (dave0)

• GF Inhabitant
  • Flatland from Israel
« Reply #28 on: November 19, 2007, 08:58:50 PM »
side to side play is fixed by putting 2 8 mm allens in the axle and tightening

Offline JAY1WM

• Cliffhanger
  • 1WM
    • 1WMBMX