Author Topic: KHE Reverse and Geisha field reports  (Read 7625 times)

Offline D

• Deathtrucker
KHE Reverse and Geisha field reports
« on: November 16, 2007, 04:33:26 PM »
How are these things holding up for everyone?  Nankai has held the market forever because no one has been able to make a better product, but it seems like that might be changing.  Nankai has made it pretty clear they have no interest in making a more modern product (sealed bearing, aluminum shell) or giving much support to the retrofits that other companies are offering (Profile aluminum shell)
I'm hoping that the Reverse, and G's freecoaster when it comes out, will start giving Nankai some real competition. 

So who is using the Geisha or the Reverse?  Which is better?  Problems?  And those of you that are, are you familiar with freecoasters in general, do you know how to service them, and have you run a Nankai or a Suntour or something before?   

TJ Perry

Re: KHE Reverse and Geisha field reports
« Reply #1 on: November 16, 2007, 06:05:57 PM »
I had two nankais in 4 or 5 years. Both of which gave me endless amounts of grief trying to keep them tight enough or loose enough only to have them either tighten up or loosen up within a session or two. in fact I almost switched to running a freewheel and just saying to hell with it because they are such a bitch to keep dialed.

Then I get my geisha, used from Moncho. All i had to do was open up the hub once.. throw in a little grease... and it was smooth as butter. It's completely hands off. I never f*ck with it at all and it always rolls super super smooth. No side to side wobble.  No having to regrease my bearings once every month or two. No screwing around with cone nuts. No bent axles from dropping the bike hard and then having to completely replace the whole axle because they break so easily.

Geishas are just a billion times better.

Offline EZChris

• GF Inhabitant
« Reply #2 on: November 16, 2007, 06:31:40 PM »
Word to that!

My Geisha is solid and smooth no problems

like TJ said opened her once cause factory grease always sucks and after that its all love.

I tottaly recommend Geisha for hassle free hubs!
Proud member of the Spaff Cartel.

moncho

« Reply #3 on: November 16, 2007, 07:37:09 PM »

Then I get my geisha, used from Moncho. All i had to do was open up the hub once.. throw in a little grease... and it was smooth as butter. It's completely hands off. I never **** with it at all and it always rolls super super smooth. No side to side wobble.  No having to regrease my bearings once every month or two. No screwing around with cone nuts. No bent axles from dropping the bike hard and then having to completely replace the whole axle because they break so easily.

Geishas are just a billion times better.

After selling that Geisha to TJ, I got a brand new Nankai.
What a mistake.
My bike rolled sooo much slower, felt heavier, and I had to adjust the cones pretty often.
I got another Geisha about a month and a half ago, and it works even better than the one I sold to TJ.
Hands down- the Geisha is superior. :beer:

Offline JAY1WM

• Cliffhanger
  • 1WM
    • 1WMBMX
« Reply #4 on: November 16, 2007, 07:42:03 PM »
a friend of mine has both ? Geisha internal's on a 48 Reverse shell, i'll let you know how he gets on with it .

Offline johnu773

• GF Inhabitant
« Reply #5 on: November 16, 2007, 07:47:48 PM »
i just recently got the reverse hub and it is very smooth!!! haven't ridden it enough to verify it's durability but i'm sure it will be fine(based on others comments so far).  my nankai was good but sluggish compared to how smooth the reverse rolls. my old suntour's i had b.i.t.d. actually felt smoother than my nankai did, but they had waaaaay too much slack compared to the nankai.

Offline Andy Marsh(Mallow)

• Backpacker
« Reply #6 on: November 16, 2007, 11:41:20 PM »
I have had no problems with my Geisha.  Except that I can't get the smaller sealed bearing in all the way.  It is 99% in, so it still works.  Even so, it still rides as smooth as when I got it.  I have no problems with it, and would buy another if I had another bike.  It even sat through the rain  :angry:  a few times while I was in class, and it still runs 100%.  It's so much better than my stock freewheel!  I can't comment on the Nankai, since I've never tried one.
being small has it's advantages... :mellow:

NoSweatShop.com" BORDER="0

Offline DaviD (dave0)

• GF Inhabitant
  • Flatland from Israel
« Reply #7 on: November 17, 2007, 12:47:24 AM »
i had problem with taking off the driver, but just to figure out how to tap it and play around with it is all the problem i ever had, had to tighten once side to side wobble... takes 3 seconds..

rolls forever, my first freecoaster but i say it rocks

kurtvs

« Reply #8 on: November 17, 2007, 02:18:28 AM »
i just have to say i bought a geisha and it never worked right- it would lock up and pedal forwards-i am a heavy guy (215) so this may something to do with it- so if you did a pedalling trick the cranks would move after you went back to pegs like a fixed hub- no reply from manufacturer-

Offline williamflat

• Backpacker
  • Williamflat
« Reply #9 on: November 17, 2007, 02:50:07 AM »

anybody knows about taska freecoaster

is it good

i'd like to buy one
Face your fears and live your dreams

www.facebook.com/williflat

Offline lJohnnyTheFoxl

• Cliffhanger
« Reply #10 on: November 17, 2007, 03:02:40 AM »

is it good

i'd like to buy one

NO, stay away.  It's cheap as dirt, but you get exactly what you pay for.  I've spent hours and hours regreasing it and tinkering with it and I still get the pedals ghosting forward and backwards all the time.  It doesn't make riding impossible, but it's got absolutely nothing going for it other than the price.  I'd recommend going for the top-of-the-line and not having to ever upgrade your hub.  Don't waste your time and money on the Taska.

Offline timmyg

• Hitchhiker
    • myspace
« Reply #11 on: November 17, 2007, 04:07:11 AM »

is it good

i'd like to buy one

NO, stay away.  It's cheap as dirt, but you get exactly what you pay for.  I've spent hours and hours regreasing it and tinkering with it and I still get the pedals ghosting forward and backwards all the time.  It doesn't make riding impossible, but it's got absolutely nothing going for it other than the price.  I'd recommend going for the top-of-the-line and not having to ever upgrade your hub.  Don't waste your time and money on the Taska.

i second this, saving up for some new wheels as i type hehe
What man, whose the man,
what makes a man a man,
Am I a man? Yes, technically i am

Prasheel

« Reply #12 on: November 17, 2007, 05:00:49 AM »
I've had the same Nankai for over 6 years now, with a minimal amount of problems.  About two years ago, when I broke an axel (which only happens about once every two years), I noticed the bearing cages were going, so I started running it loose balled.  This is actually better for operation; you'll have a smoother rolling hub and the increase in bearings increases the strength.

Oh, about two years ago as well, I switched out my shell to the KHE 32 one, but I've never had to replace any of the bearings.

« Reply #13 on: November 17, 2007, 06:10:46 AM »
I've had the same Nankai for over 6 years now, with a minimal amount of problems.  About two years ago, when I broke an axel (which only happens about once every two years), I noticed the bearing cages were going, so I started running it loose balled.  This is actually better for operation; you'll have a smoother rolling hub and the increase in bearings increases the strength.

i am the same way as well,  i  did the same thing as you did, with no problems @ all!

Offline ancientskool

• Deathtrucker
« Reply #14 on: November 17, 2007, 01:06:14 PM »

is it good

i'd like to buy one

The sealed ones aren't bad.  They are almost the same as an Ares Boo.  I have a friend who has one whose had no problems.  The cheap ones aren't as terrible as some make out.  I've used one for about 6 months now with ZERO problems and ZERO maintenance.  Neither are as nice as a Geisha, but if you aren't real hard on your bike the Taskas still are a reasonable option.