Author Topic: Spoke length on hub swap  (Read 1727 times)

Offline larrybikeman

Spoke length on hub swap
« on: January 31, 2022, 01:50:39 AM »
I picked up a front wheel with Alex dm22 for a nice price.  I’m thinking about buying another new front wheel to swap in my Nankai Tech freecoaster.  The current spoke length seems to be about 191.5mm.  I calculated I need on a 3 cross pattern a length of 187mm. Double checked with another program and length checked out. Seeing as spoke length will be 4.5mm over, is it worth reusing the spokes rather than buy new ones? Or is 4.5mm too long.  If I go for a 4 cross pattern I will need 196mm spokes.

Offline DaddyCool

• Deathtrucker
Re: Spoke length on hub swap
« Reply #1 on: January 31, 2022, 09:32:28 AM »
Hello, so if I get it right you want to know if the spokes you have and which are too long may fit? From my experience even 2 mm too long does not work.
2 mm or maybe even 3 mm too less would eventually work better, depending on the nipples.
I am surprised by 196 mm. Are you sure? I most cases for cross lacing you need about 184 mm or 187 mm.
Do you have the ERD of the rim and the measurements of the hub? I would like to try my calculator just out of interest...

Offline Revig

• Cliffhanger
« Reply #2 on: January 31, 2022, 09:52:19 AM »

i add my comment: you mention a Nankai hub so I guess the spokes are like +20 years old. Using new spokes will allow you to avoid eventual hassles with these used spokes that could be bent or marked and dirty (and maybe not shiny anymore). Spokes are really not that expensive. I understand you will lace the wheel by yourself, from my experience it does not worth it to reuse these kind of parts as a whole. And if you will have a professional wheelbuilder doing that for you, I won't be surprised if he refuses to use old spokes since it would be a big difficulty quality wise

Offline larrybikeman

« Reply #3 on: January 31, 2022, 02:10:19 PM »
Erd is 394.  The wheel I’m swapping is a brand new front with sealed hub and new spokes.  My plan was to use the new spokes and the new rim.  But I think rather than guessing current spoke length I just need to unlace one spoke and check actual length vs required length.  The hub shell is 110mm nut to nut, 50mm flange diameter, 30 mm flange center to outer lock nut.  Symmetrical.   If I’m over 2mm can I cut the spokes with a Dremel provided there is enough thread ?

Offline DaddyCool

• Deathtrucker
« Reply #4 on: January 31, 2022, 03:27:16 PM »
You could cut the spoke, but what you mentioned will most probably be the problem: There won't be enough thread left.

Offline rpl3000

« Reply #5 on: February 04, 2022, 05:20:13 AM »
I've relaced dozens of wheels on bmx mtb and road. Sometimes those spoke calc programs don't get it right. If you are within +/-2 mm I'd give it a try. Worst case is you wait a few days or a week getting some new spokes. I reuse spokes and brass nipples if not damaged.

I recently relaced the stock ares generic freecoaser to a Far East. The flanges sizes were not close and it shouldn't have worked on paper but it tightened up just fine. One of the problems with too short spokes is that if the threads arent past the spot where the nipple seats to the rim, you'll eventually break nipples.

If you Dremel the length you will probably damage the threads and won't be able the thread the nipple. I'm not 100% sure but I think shops that cut custom lengths use a bespoke tool and then run a die over the threads.