Author Topic: Etnies Marana or Five Ten MTB shoes?  (Read 2626 times)

Offline Sensei

Etnies Marana or Five Ten MTB shoes?
« on: October 10, 2021, 11:19:54 PM »
I mostly ride mountain bikes with clipless pedals, but I got a flatland BMX last year and love it.  I want to get the Etnies Marana shoe, but I'm hoping for a shoe that I could maybe use for both?  Anyone have any experience using the Five Ten shoes for flatland? Specifically, ones that might be clipless compatible.  Or are the soles too stiff for flatland? 
I see there are Etnies Marana Crank MTB shoes, but not clipless, I don't think.
Or are these two styles of riding to different to share a shoe?

Offline metalbmxer

• GF Inhabitant
Re: Etnies Marana or Five Ten MTB shoes?
« Reply #1 on: October 11, 2021, 02:27:09 AM »
trying to run 1 shoe for both sports is just compromising yourself. one shoe for 1 sport and 1 shoe for the other. You'll be happy with the Marana as many riders have ridden it and myself even found the michelin soles really good for flatland. that being said, I have no expereince at all with Five Ten so I guess the only way to really know is get them and see how they are
Dax (now in LAS VEGAS as of July 2022)

Offline Sensei

Re: Etnies Marana or Five Ten MTB shoes?
« Reply #2 on: October 12, 2021, 06:11:54 AM »

This makes sense.  Are the Marana soles stiff, or flexible? And I assume you mean the Michelin soles are good for flatland because they're sticky?
I think the Five Tens are popular for mtb because the soles are stiffer and grippy, but also no experience with them (I use my old cross-country clipless mtb shoes which are those really stiff, no flex soles because you're clipped in...)

trying to run 1 shoe for both sports is just compromising yourself. one shoe for 1 sport and 1 shoe for the other. You'll be happy with the Marana as many riders have ridden it and myself even found the michelin soles really good for flatland. that being said, I have no expereince at all with Five Ten so I guess the only way to really know is get them and see how they are