Author Topic: Reduced Slack on Far East Cycles Freecoaster  (Read 6531 times)

Offline rpl3000

Reduced Slack on Far East Cycles Freecoaster
« on: August 22, 2021, 04:52:05 AM »
I was able to reduce the slack on my FEC freecoaster. Thought I'd share what I did. I can't comment as to the durability and possible problems with use. I've only got a few hours on it like this but its reversible and I can't see how any permanent damage could occur.

I found a scrap o-ring that had a cord diameter of 0.100". I cut it about 3/8" long and put in in the groove as shown in the picture. This reduced the driver rotation until it hits the piece that slips on the axle. At first I cut the o-ring about 9/16". The freecoaster still worked 100% but the slack was almost zero. Way too big a different for me to cope with after having the stock set-up. The 3/8" length gives me about an 1/8 turn on the crank before engagement.

Offline metalbmxer

• GF Inhabitant
Re: Reduced Slack on Far East Cycles Freecoaster
« Reply #1 on: August 22, 2021, 07:24:08 AM »
Cool you found a way to modify it. I’m perfectly happy with the slack as is on the FEC tho
Dax (now in LAS VEGAS as of July 2022)

Offline rpl3000

« Reply #2 on: August 22, 2021, 03:26:33 PM »
I wasn't unhappy with the slack. I think because I'm a new rider I'm not great at setting it and I haven't really built up that awareness of how much slack to expect when I try and ride out of tricks. Sometimes it really catches me out. I think one of the criticisms of this hub was lack of adjustability. I saw on the how-to video that the mechanism was fairly simple and I decided to have a go at a mod. Its probably the best I can do to contribute to this site. Certainly my riding isn't worth posting about!

Offline metalbmxer

• GF Inhabitant
« Reply #3 on: August 22, 2021, 09:14:13 PM »
I wasn't unhappy with the slack. I think because I'm a new rider I'm not great at setting it and I haven't really built up that awareness of how much slack to expect when I try and ride out of tricks. Sometimes it really catches me out. I think one of the criticisms of this hub was lack of adjustability. I saw on the how-to video that the mechanism was fairly simple and I decided to have a go at a mod. Its probably the best I can do to contribute to this site. Certainly my riding isn't worth posting about!

Yeah from what Pat @ FF said there is no way to adjust the slack on it, perhaps by changing the sprocket size you could a faster engagement tho. Solid work tho figuring out how to do it
Dax (now in LAS VEGAS as of July 2022)

Offline Mambocowboy

• Backpacker
« Reply #4 on: August 23, 2021, 04:04:12 AM »
Really cool and thanks for sharing. Minimum slack helps with riding out from 2 wheel tricks I'm finding. Just got a minimum slack ring on my zcoaster and greatly prefer it. Without a slack ring it was 1/2 crank slack. Awful...