Author Topic: Constructing a good riding surface. Recommendations  (Read 3518 times)

Offline Mambocowboy

• Backpacker
Constructing a good riding surface. Recommendations
« on: August 09, 2021, 07:19:18 AM »
My current concrete surface is 20x 13 feet a little small  I know but  its my backyard so very convenient to ride. It does have some slick spots so ud like to upgrade and have some cash to spend. Anybody done something like this? Thanks for any insight.

Offline rpl3000

Re: Constructing a good riding surface. Recommendations
« Reply #1 on: August 29, 2021, 12:30:01 AM »
I don't have any real advice but my asphalt driveway was seal coated within the past year and it gets super slick on humid days and when its a bit damp.

Is the concrete crumbling a bit and is that what's making it slick? If you are looking to expand then I'd probably stick with adding on more concrete.

Maybe best to get some quotes on how to prep and seal the concrete.

Offline Mambocowboy

• Backpacker
« Reply #2 on: August 29, 2021, 08:13:40 AM »
I don't have any real advice but my asphalt driveway was seal coated within the past year and it gets super slick on humid days and when its a bit damp.

Is the concrete crumbling a bit and is that what's making it slick? If you are looking to expand then I'd probably stick with adding on more concrete.

Maybe best to get some quotes on how to prep and seal the concrete.
Thanks for the response. I had it sandblasted and it is so much better. I went with medium grind which is similar grip to an outdoor basketball court. It feels alot safer with no fear of the bike slipping out like before.

Offline aliasdck

• Cliffhanger
« Reply #3 on: August 29, 2021, 04:05:30 PM »
Nice, that was going to be my suggestion, I just didn't know if the existing concrete was still in otherwise good condition.

So when you inviting us all over for a session? Gotta break in that newly sandblasted surface after all

Offline Mambocowboy

• Backpacker
« Reply #4 on: August 30, 2021, 02:28:39 AM »
Nice, that was going to be my suggestion, I just didn't know if the existing concrete was still in otherwise good condition.

So when you inviting us all over for a session? Gotta break in that newly sandblasted surface after all
lol it's only 20x13 but I use outdoor work lights for night riding plus my father in  law built a roof over it for more shade during the day and so I'll be able to ride when it rains. Very stoked...

Offline aliasdck

• Cliffhanger
« Reply #5 on: August 30, 2021, 08:40:44 PM »
That is awesome, I'm kinda jealous...