Author Topic: Aliasdck's Second Bike Check (06 May 2021)  (Read 5561 times)

Offline aliasdck

• Cliffhanger
Aliasdck's Second Bike Check (06 May 2021)
« on: May 07, 2021, 01:10:53 AM »
Frame: 2021 We The People Utopia Hybrid frame with 20.5" TT
Bar: WeBicycles Gov Handlebar with 9.0" rise, 3 degree up and 3 degree backsweep
Grips: ODI Longneck ST
Bar ends: Armour Bikes Everlast Titanium Bar Ends
Grip Rings: Armour Bikes Grip Rings
Stem: Sequence Hook Stem with 26mm reach
Headset: Odyssey Conical Pro Integrated Headset
Spacers: Salt Headset Spacers, Black alloy (18mm worth)
Fork: Odyssey F-Zero Fork
Cranks: 160mm Profile Magnutanium Cranks with hollow 19mm titanium spindle
Pedals: KHE Stimulatorz Pedals
Sprocket: 20 Tooth Profile Spline Drive Sprocket
Chain: some generic black chain
Bottom Bracket: Deco Spanish Bottom Bracket kit for 19mm
Seat: Autumn Stay Hungry Seat
Seat Post: Thomson Elite Seat Post
Front Hub: Armour Bikes F1 Grenade Front Hub
Rear Hub: Far East Cycles Freecoaster Hub - all steel with 14mm axle
Spokes: DT Competition 14/15g Double Butted Spokes
Spoke Nipples: GSport Taper Hex Nipples
Rims: Sun Envy Lite Rims
Tires: Ares A-Class 1.75" Kevlar in black regular compound
Rim Strips: St Martin High Pressure Rim Strips
Tubes: Heresy Fond Tubes
Front Pegs: Deco Wu Pegs in 1.5" Diameter, knurled
Rear Pegs: Ares Flawless Pegs in 115mm length

Weight: 20.3 lbs (9.2 kg)

Offline aliasdck

• Cliffhanger
Re: Aliasdck's Second Bike Check (06 May 2021)
« Reply #1 on: May 07, 2021, 01:13:20 AM »

I'm loving this frame. Feels just about perfect for me, and with the addition of new lighter wheels plus some other lighter parts, its quite a bit lighter than my last setup. I started riding again in 2018 and since then my bike has been slowly loosing weight. Started around 30 lbs (13.6 kg) i think and right before switching to this frame it was down to 23.6 lbs (10.7 kg). Now, with new frame and some other different parts, its down to 20.3 lbs (9.2 kg) and I am content with that.

Currently riding with no brakes, but I tend to switch back and forth for periods of time. So this will add a couple pounds when I put them back on, maybe after the summer is over.

The front wheel shown is my new wheel but I'm not actually using it yet. I just put it on for the photo but I am actually still using an old wheel because I am still working with Pat and Armour Bikes to see if they can replace/fix the hub under warranty. The delay in getting this done is not Pat or Armour Bikes fault, it's my fault. Pat asked for a video several weeks ago but I didn't get around to sending it until a couple days ago. Now I'm waiting to hear back.

Offline out~riding

• Global Team
  • GF Inhabitant
« Reply #2 on: May 07, 2021, 01:17:34 AM »
Nice, you just need a 1-piece curved headset spacer to match the hydroformed toptube.

https://www.instagram.com/p/CAQZFUtH6ar/

Offline aliasdck

• Cliffhanger
« Reply #3 on: May 07, 2021, 03:01:49 AM »
Oooh that is nice! I may have to get one once I've got some more money set aside. I spent all of my bike fund on this build, it's gonna be awhile....

Offline Mambocowboy

• Backpacker
« Reply #4 on: May 07, 2021, 08:33:30 AM »

I'm loving this frame. Feels just about perfect for me, and with the addition of new lighter wheels plus some other lighter parts, its quite a bit lighter than my last setup. I started riding again in 2018 and since then my bike has been slowly loosing weight. Started around 30 lbs (13.6 kg) i think and right before switching to this frame it was down to 23.6 lbs (10.7 kg). Now, with new frame and some other different parts, its down to 20.3 lbs (9.2 kg) and I am content with that.

Currently riding with no brakes, but I tend to switch back and forth for periods of time. So this will add a couple pounds when I put them back on, maybe after the summer is over.

The front wheel shown is my new wheel but I'm not actually using it yet. I just put it on for the photo but I am actually still using an old wheel because I am still working with Pat and Armour Bikes to see if they can replace/fix the hub under warranty. The delay in getting this done is not Pat or Armour Bikes fault, it's my fault. Pat asked for a video several weeks ago but I didn't get around to sending it until a couple days ago. Now I'm waiting to hear back.
Bike looks good man. Thanks for sharing.

Offline DaddyCool

• Deathtrucker
« Reply #5 on: May 08, 2021, 12:25:17 AM »
Hi aliasdck, that bike is looking good! There are a lot of nice details like the spokes, nipples, seatpost and so on. The bar (size) fits well in my opinion and all in all it looks "reasonable".
By the way: How do you like the Deco pegs? I heard the end are rather thin and so they would not last long. What is your experience?

Offline aliasdck

• Cliffhanger
« Reply #6 on: May 08, 2021, 12:31:15 AM »
Thanks guys.

Daddycool, I haven't had the deco pegs long (a few months I think?) so it's hard to say for sure, but yes they ends do seem to be wearing quicker then any peg I've had before. I imagine at this rate I'll want to replace them in year maybe, not sure. I do try to be gentle with the bike so that the ends of the pegs and bar don't smack the ground too much but is unavoidable at times obviously.

This is one of the reasons I tried the ares pegs on the back (only had those a couple weeks now) because of the end caps. They are suppose to be lighter too but I don't know if the stated weight included the end caps or not.

Offline DaddyCool

• Deathtrucker
« Reply #7 on: May 11, 2021, 07:04:51 PM »
Thank you for the info. As far as I know the Deco should be definitely lighter. Don't you put every part on a scale and document it in an Excel sheet before installing it like I do?  ;D Nerdy, I know...

Offline aliasdck

• Cliffhanger
« Reply #8 on: May 11, 2021, 10:49:43 PM »
Lol actually I keep a log book of sorts. Basically just a journal where I document what changes I make to my bike including a bunch of dimensions (for example: if I move the seat up or down, then how far is it off the floor, how far to the back tire, etc) and yes I do also keep track of weights. I also take note of trick progression, time spent riding and exercising, thoughts about my riding, etc

But I can be kinda almost bipolar about my hobby. Sometimes I get very enthusiastic and focus very intently on every little detail. But then sometimes I have periods of time where I don't care so much, my interest/focus lessens considerably and my obsessiveness goes away. That happened when I installed the deco pegs, so I didn't bother weighing or documenting anything at that time. I plan to weigh them and add the details to the log next time I take them off the bike.

I like that excel spreadsheet idea. Hmmm....

Fortunately I am not diagnosed with actual bipolar disorder. I do not get the mania and depression swings. Mostly I have only just been diagnosed with general depression, nothing too serious and luckily riding my bike has been the best medicine.

Offline DaddyCool

• Deathtrucker
« Reply #9 on: May 11, 2021, 11:13:54 PM »
That's interesting. I started with the Excel stuff because I wanted to have the weigth (and weight distribution) very similar for my two main bikes (one with front and back brake, the other brakeless). I also note the time I spent for riding and I find this motivating because I want to increase the hours per month...
I hope you get along with that depression. It is good to hear that riding helps you. For me it is also one of the most stable things in my life. Whatever happens in life, I will have a session the other day. This thought makes me calm somehow.
Lately I need to adapt my attitude towards my riding a little bit because I realised that I hardly progress anymore. So I need to accept that I most probably will not achieve a level that is much higher than what I have now. This is not so nice but I still have fun doing my combos although I have done most of them many times before. So my feeling is that your riding and attitude may change over the years, but if you are really into it riding can help to make your life a little more stable. I think this is also caused by the fact that I ride alone 98% and so it has developed to something very personal. I guess this is the situation for most flatland riders.
By the way: It is really good to discuss stuff like this with you guys here. Most of my friends would not understand it in that way because they do not ride and don't do something else with that intensity.
Thank you for that!

Offline Bone

• Cliffhanger
« Reply #10 on: July 12, 2021, 04:00:22 AM »
I’m liking that handle bar…

Offline aliasdck

• Cliffhanger
« Reply #11 on: July 13, 2021, 05:33:17 PM »
Me too, they are probably the best fit for me that I've used over the years.

The sequence hook stem, however, not so much. Just doesn't quite clamp powerfully enough even when tightened as tight as I can get it with an Allen key. It holds everything in place well enough for casual riding but once you start doing any hard landings or any hard crashes then the bars can move sometimes. So I've gone back to an older stem for the moment.

Offline metalbmxer

• GF Inhabitant
« Reply #12 on: July 13, 2021, 06:47:56 PM »
Me too, they are probably the best fit for me that I've used over the years.

The sequence hook stem, however, not so much. Just doesn't quite clamp powerfully enough even when tightened as tight as I can get it with an Allen key. It holds everything in place well enough for casual riding but once you start doing any hard landings or any hard crashes then the bars can move sometimes. So I've gone back to an older stem for the moment.

wow didn't expect that from this stem. I had one years ago that cracked but had also bought it second hand

bummer it didn't work for you
Dax (now in LAS VEGAS as of July 2022)

Offline Bone

• Cliffhanger
« Reply #13 on: July 13, 2021, 07:05:23 PM »
I’ve been using the colony stem for years and that worked fine fir me and I also bought one for my son as well

Offline aliasdck

• Cliffhanger
« Reply #14 on: July 13, 2021, 07:15:04 PM »
Don't get me wrong, it works just couldn't get it to hold for those heavy landings where you land with a lot of weight on the bars or any crashes where the bar ends hit the ground really hard, but most of the time it held perfect. I just prefer my s&m stem that has yet to move/slip under any conditions.