Author Topic: Forks w/ tall steerer w/990s AND high offset?  (Read 2010 times)

Offline vortexblue

Forks w/ tall steerer w/990s AND high offset?
« on: April 16, 2021, 05:27:06 PM »
My son Has a Sunday NightShift frame with a 5" headtube. 
He like to ride with front brakes and a gyro, but due to the taller headtube, we lose a little space in the stack for the upper gyro cable slack.

Currently he's got a set of older Odyssey Freestyle forks with a 165 headtube.  We have to run knarps on the top gyro cable to shorten it.  A longer steerer would eliminate this issue, and let him run a modern gyro that only accepts the ball ends.

What I'm looking for:
-Forks with 990 mounts and a 170-175 steerer tube.
-Preferably 28-32 offset.  25 and lower is probably too steep.
-3/8" dropout
-maybe not a flatland specific fork (I run Steep Flatwares), my kid does park/ dirt/ etc.

I've scoured a lot of listings recently, but maybe there's an older fork I'm missing?

Offline razorlab

• Forkglider
Re: Forks w/ tall steerer w/990s AND high offset?
« Reply #1 on: April 16, 2021, 07:13:01 PM »
The Odyssey Gouin fork is 28mm and a 185mm steerer. If you can find one.

Odyssey R32 had a 170mm steerer I believe at one point but new versions are 165

Offline mal

• Hitchhiker
« Reply #2 on: April 17, 2021, 09:15:20 AM »
My son Has a Sunday NightShift frame with a 5" headtube. 
He like to ride with front brakes and a gyro, but due to the taller headtube, we lose a little space in the stack for the upper gyro cable slack.

Currently he's got a set of older Odyssey Freestyle forks with a 165 headtube.  We have to run knarps on the top gyro cable to shorten it.  A longer steerer would eliminate this issue, and let him run a modern gyro that only accepts the ball ends.

What I'm looking for:
-Forks with 990 mounts and a 170-175 steerer tube.
-Preferably 28-32 offset.  25 and lower is probably too steep.
-3/8" dropout
-maybe not a flatland specific fork (I run Steep Flatwares), my kid does park/ dirt/ etc.

I've scoured a lot of listings recently, but maybe there's an older fork I'm missing?
If you only want to change the fork because of the gyro cable maybe you could get the Shadow Sano gyro with built in knarp screws?

Offline vortexblue

« Reply #3 on: April 22, 2021, 09:37:13 AM »
Yeah, the plan is to mess with the upper cable rather than the fork at this point.
He's got a Snafu Mobieus gyro, without the knarps, so I'm trying to figure out if there's some sort of 'upper london mod'...