Author Topic: Bike for street/park and also flat?  (Read 9445 times)

Offline smsabb

• Hitchhiker
Re: Bike for street/park and also flat?
« Reply #15 on: December 23, 2021, 05:31:57 AM »
General assholery ...Or flatland and street jibs

Offline myke

• Hitchhiker
« Reply #16 on: December 23, 2021, 02:26:56 PM »
General assholery ...Or flatland and street jibs
So it's good for both flat and street? One more so than the other?

Offline smsabb

• Hitchhiker
« Reply #17 on: December 23, 2021, 04:15:13 PM »
Its "a tech park frame " But they made it to be flatland friendly .It has similar geometry to the flatware tango but with a shorter rear end .I went from a 19.75 big daddy to this and had to take a link out of my chain (its close to 13 now )

Offline myke

• Hitchhiker
« Reply #18 on: December 27, 2021, 03:14:50 PM »
Its "a tech park frame " But they made it to be flatland friendly .It has similar geometry to the flatware tango but with a shorter rear end .I went from a 19.75 big daddy to this and had to take a link out of my chain (its close to 13 now )
Yup, that's a good point in that it's not only the TT length that will affect how it feels and rides. But it's a good starting point.

Offline myke

• Hitchhiker
« Reply #19 on: December 27, 2021, 03:16:14 PM »
Ok so that big question is, what TT length would be best for some street and park, but also some flat?

20" maybe?

Offline smsabb

• Hitchhiker
« Reply #20 on: December 27, 2021, 05:12:30 PM »
I like the 19.75 myself .

Offline FlatSociety

• Company
  • Hitchhiker
    • FlatSociety
« Reply #21 on: December 30, 2021, 01:24:27 PM »
I like the 19.75 myself .

I ride an S&M  Dagger Frame & love it. I sell these at my shop along with Colony Sweet Tooth Frames, Total, Tall Order, and more. I should have We The People Utopias in by the end of next month as well.
my shop: [size=78%]http://www.flatsocietybmx.com[/size]

Offline myke

• Hitchhiker
« Reply #22 on: December 30, 2021, 03:25:53 PM »

I ride an S&M  Dagger Frame & love it. I sell these at my shop along with Colony Sweet Tooth Frames, Total, Tall Order, and more.

What are the specs on your dagger? Do you ride flat, street or both?

Offline smsabb

• Hitchhiker
« Reply #23 on: January 01, 2022, 08:12:34 PM »
I was looking at both frames but went with the park ranger instead mostly due to seeing a bunch of s&ms cracking at the seat tube /seat stay junction . Plus the Sunday brake mounts are a bit more solid

Offline FlatSociety

• Company
  • Hitchhiker
    • FlatSociety
« Reply #24 on: January 03, 2022, 12:22:28 PM »
I was looking at both frames but went with the park ranger instead mostly due to seeing a bunch of s&ms cracking at the seat tube /seat stay junction . Plus the Sunday brake mounts are a bit more solid
Mostly Flat but the frame is well built & solid. I currently have 19in & 19.5in in stock.

Offline myke

• Hitchhiker
« Reply #25 on: January 04, 2022, 11:43:44 PM »
Mostly Flat but the frame is well built & solid. I currently have 19in & 19.5in in stock.
Not looking to buy an expensive frame. Just looking for info on what top tube length will work best for my needs.

Offline eightyfivegt

• Hitchhiker
« Reply #26 on: January 06, 2022, 02:13:49 AM »
I’m 5’-9” and ride a 19” Dagger for flat. But, my latest project is a flat/street hybrid using an S&M ATF frame with 20” TT.  I’ve got Intrikat bars, 40mm Enduro stem, 4 pegs, 170mm cranks, recently installed a Flatware minimal offset fork and the last thing I did was grind the rear dropouts to 13.25”. Between the new fork and drop mod, I took an inch out of the wheelbase. This bike feels pretty damn good as sort of a do everything bike. I rode it on our local pump track this past weekend and then, cruised over to the ball courts and rode flatland with it.

Offline myke

• Hitchhiker
« Reply #27 on: January 06, 2022, 03:35:38 PM »
I’m 5’-9” and ride a 19” Dagger for flat. But, my latest project is a flat/street hybrid using an S&M ATF frame with 20” TT.  I’ve got Intrikat bars, 40mm Enduro stem, 4 pegs, 170mm cranks, recently installed a Flatware minimal offset fork and the last thing I did was grind the rear dropouts to 13.25”. Between the new fork and drop mod, I took an inch out of the wheelbase. This bike feels pretty damn good as sort of a do everything bike. I rode it on our local pump track this past weekend and then, cruised over to the ball courts and rode flatland with it.
Sounds great! How do tricks like hang 5s and steamrollers feel with the 20"tt? I wasn't liking how they felt when I tried them on a 20.5" top tube, but obviously that's not the only dimension that affects the feel. I'm about 5'7" so I'm hoping the 20" tt will be good for everything. I'm also looking at just getting a cheap complete bike to give it a shot and see how it feels. All 20" tt - Cult Access (longer rear end at 13.65, Verde A/V (13.5 rear), Sunday Primer (13.2" - 13.5" rear), WTP Nova (super short rear at 12.75")...

Offline eightyfivegt

• Hitchhiker
« Reply #28 on: January 07, 2022, 12:02:41 AM »
I know we’re talking just fractions of an inch or a degree of an angle but, yes, I can feel the differences between this bike and my “flatland only” bike.  It’s not dramatic but, certainly noticeable.  Any compromises with the flat/hybrid seem worthwhile to me since I can ride the same bike for park and street.  As for your selection of 20” TT completes, you should also consider a few things such as the ability to add a front brake, add pegs and none of those bikes have a freecoaster.  You may want to swap that rear wheel right away for flatland. 

Offline myke

• Hitchhiker
« Reply #29 on: January 07, 2022, 12:22:19 AM »
I know we’re talking just fractions of an inch or a degree of an angle but, yes, I can feel the differences between this bike and my “flatland only” bike.  It’s not dramatic but, certainly noticeable.  Any compromises with the flat/hybrid seem worthwhile to me since I can ride the same bike for park and street.  As for your selection of 20” TT completes, you should also consider a few things such as the ability to add a front brake, add pegs and none of those bikes have a freecoaster.  You may want to swap that rear wheel right away for flatland. 
Yeah, I hear you about needing some tweaking for flat. Although I really want to be able to do some sreet tricks on it for sure so that's just as important if not more so. Front brake will be an issue for sure, maybe I can use the old-school kind with the center bolt, or I could go without one maybe. Pegs for sure but could maybe get away with just one side, which would still allow for steamrollers, hang 5, peg wheelies etc. I also have an older khe 36h rim with a nankai freecoaster, it is super light, I could throw that on and see how it is, although from what I remember it's not the best rolling, smoothest wheel...