Author Topic: Bike for street/park and also flat?  (Read 9444 times)

Offline myke

• Hitchhiker
Bike for street/park and also flat?
« on: April 03, 2021, 03:35:44 PM »
Anyone know if a complete bike that would be good for some light street and park riding but that could also be used to ride some flat?

Offline out~riding

• Global Team
  • GF Inhabitant
Re: Bike for street/park and also flat?
« Reply #1 on: April 03, 2021, 07:11:41 PM »
There's really no complete out of the box that will fit everything, except for maybe Motelworks and Ares but those are almost only available in Japan.

Haro is coming out with the 2011 Ground Master but that bike is expensive at 1600 USD.

Offline myke

• Hitchhiker
« Reply #2 on: April 03, 2021, 07:19:31 PM »
There's really no complete out of the box that will fit everything, except for maybe Motelworks and Ares but those are almost only available in Japan.

Haro is coming out with the 2011 Ground Master but that bike is expensive at 1600 USD.
Interesting thanks. I'm thinking maybe a street/park bike with a shorter top tube perhaps would get me there. Just something that enables me to ride some flat too, streamrollers, hang 5s, firehydrants, mccircles...

Offline out~riding

• Global Team
  • GF Inhabitant
« Reply #3 on: April 03, 2021, 07:45:26 PM »
One of the better options is the 2011 WTP CRS FC

It's a shorter street bike with 20,25" TT that comes with a freecoaster already.
Swap the tires, get some pegs and your good.
It's got gyrotabs if you want to install a gyro. 165mm cranks.

The downside is it's not 100% cromoly. A little over 500€/£ you can't expect much more.
You can upgrade to a shorter stem and cromoly forks later on.

https://wethepeoplebmx.de/bikes/crs-fc

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JEhYVRbFwHM

Error 404 (Not Found)!!1 Small | Large

Offline myke

• Hitchhiker
« Reply #4 on: April 03, 2021, 08:41:45 PM »
One of the better options is the 2011 WTP CRS FC

It's a shorter street bike with 20,25" TT that comes with a freecoaster already.
Swap the tires, get some pegs and your good.
It's got gyrotabs if you want to install a gyro. 165mm cranks.

The downside is it's not 100% cromoly. A little over 500€/£ you can't expect much more.
You can upgrade to a shorter stem and cromoly forks later on.

https://wethepeoplebmx.de/bikes/crs-fc

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JEhYVRbFwHM

Error 404 (Not Found)!!1
Cool, that looks decent. You must have meant 2021 tho, not 2011? It's a bit on the heavy side at 27 lbs but that's to be expected I guess...

Offline aliasdck

• Cliffhanger
« Reply #5 on: April 03, 2021, 09:08:27 PM »
I like wtp, is a great company with great products.

I don't think 27lbs is too heavy when you're looking at a hybrid street/park/flat bike though, what's considered normal for such a setup these like 25lb or so? You could buy it then slowly get it down a couple pounds by upgrading some parts over the future. Though then you may as well build up a custom bike instead. Which I'd recommend anyways: it's fun, you get exactly which parts you want plus you can also get some of it used from here or bmxmusuem or whatever.

Offline Mambocowboy

• Backpacker
« Reply #6 on: April 03, 2021, 09:18:50 PM »

I don't think 27lbs is too heavy when you're looking at a hybrid street/park/flat bike though, what's considered normal for such a setup these like 25lb or so? You could buy it then slowly get it down a couple pounds by upgrading some parts over the future. Though then you may as well build up a custom bike instead. Which I'd recommend anyways: it's fun, you get exactly which parts you want plus you can also get some of it used from here or bmxmusuem or whatever.
Custom is the way to go.

Offline out~riding

• Global Team
  • GF Inhabitant
« Reply #7 on: April 04, 2021, 02:52:54 PM »
Building a new custom gets expensive. It really depends on your budget.

Offline myke

• Hitchhiker
« Reply #8 on: April 04, 2021, 03:13:35 PM »

Yeah that's true, I actually have a wheel that's a khe rim with 36h nankai, it's insanely light, I could put that on it and probably shave a couple pounds right there. But I don't want to be swapping a bunch of parts.

Custom is the way to go.

Building a new custom gets expensive. It really depends on your budget.

Cool, I'm not going custom though. Actually I just sold a flat bike recently that I had for like 15+ years. Also just bought a 24" bmx as well.

Remember aaron benke way back, he used to ride flat and some ramps as well, I wonder what bike that was?

Offline 89schwinnsting

• Backpacker
« Reply #9 on: April 21, 2021, 01:57:00 AM »
Aaron Benke did have his own frame, the DK Transmitter. 19" top tube, I think.

Offline myke

• Hitchhiker
« Reply #10 on: May 30, 2021, 12:29:30 AM »
Cool, thanks...

I got to try ouy my nephews regular stock bmx bike for flat and it was not very conducive, less so than I expected...

Offline smsabb

• Hitchhiker
« Reply #11 on: July 23, 2021, 04:03:57 PM »
Colony sweet tooth is a good choice ,Or the Apprentice if you want a shorter frame .

Offline myke

• Hitchhiker
« Reply #12 on: December 22, 2021, 08:38:08 PM »
One of the better options is the 2011 WTP CRS FC It's a shorter street bike with 20,25" TT that comes with a freecoaster already.

Hey guys, OP here. I am once again on the street/flat bike kick. I had 24" stolen saint for the past year and it was great but I want a 20" again.

But I want more of a street bike that I can ride flat on, more than a flat bike that I can ride street on if that makes any sense.

So my question comes down to what top tube length would be best for this. Obviously if I can try some out that would be ideal but I still want to get a better idea of what I need.

So the last flat bike I owned was a Fly and it was 18.8" tt. Obviously way to small to ride street on. (By street I'm talking manuals, rollbacks, bunny hops, 180 bh, etc. - I'm old and old school kinda).

So the top tube lengths I'm thinking about are 19.5, 20, 20.25, 20.5. Of those I'm thinking 19.5 may be too small and 20.5 probably too big. So I guess that leaves me at 20 or 20.25. Thoughts?

Also, I'm on the smaller side at 5'7". I rode my nephews bike last month which is probably 21" tt (but need to confirm). It was awesome for doing manuals, but as far as fire hydrants and steam rollers and hang 5s forget it, way to long for me.

Offline smsabb

• Hitchhiker
« Reply #13 on: December 22, 2021, 08:46:06 PM »
Im riding a sunday park ranger right now its a 19.75 tt .

Offline myke

• Hitchhiker
« Reply #14 on: December 22, 2021, 11:55:22 PM »
Im riding a sunday park ranger right now its a 19.75 tt .
Cool, what kind of riding are you using it for?