Author Topic: When is a trick really dialed?  (Read 3313 times)

Offline Mambocowboy

• Backpacker
When is a trick really dialed?
« on: March 26, 2021, 10:48:53 PM »
When you can pull it 9/10 times? 99 out of 100? What's your standard  for your mastery and progression in learning tricks?

Offline aliasdck

• Cliffhanger
Re: When is a trick really dialed?
« Reply #1 on: March 26, 2021, 11:13:32 PM »
For me it's when I consistently pull something, say like atleast 75% of the time, without having to focus too intensely. It's also nice to have it so dialed that if I happen to return to it after not trying it for a long time that it doesn't take much to redial it in again. So frustrating to come back to a trick and have to practically relearn it all over again.

If I was dialing a trick for like a contest run I'd probably go for at least 9 out of 10 if not more, idk though haven't  had the opportunity, desire or skill to compete yet

Offline Mambocowboy

• Backpacker
« Reply #2 on: March 26, 2021, 11:54:58 PM »
For me it's when I consistently pull something, say like atleast 75% of the time, without having to focus too intensely. It's also nice to have it so dialed that if I happen to return to it after not trying it for a long time that it doesn't take much to redial it in again. So frustrating to come back to a trick and have to practically relearn it all over again.

If I was dialing a trick for like a contest run I'd probably go for at least 9 out of 10 if not more, idk though haven't  had the opportunity, desire or skill to compete yet
Thanks for the feedback. Despite practicing the same things over and over I find hard to get to the 90 percent level. Maybe I should get to 75 percent and consider it learned and start learning new stuff.

Offline aliasdck

• Cliffhanger
« Reply #3 on: March 27, 2021, 12:34:39 AM »
I don't know how long you've been riding or your skill level, but my first few years I focused more on just learning as many different tricks as I could and didn't really focus or worry too much about consistency. I'm still not very good despite so many years riding but oh well I'm just enjoying myself. Often times tricks I learn later give me some skills and new awareness that could then be reapplied to some of the tricks I learned previously thus helping consistency but further down the line.

Nowadays I do work on better consistency from time to time but I still don't fret over it too much. I'm never riding for anybody but myself, so there have been a few tricks here and there that I only pulled a couple times and then decided that was enough and moved on.

Mostly I'd just say do whatever makes you happy.

Offline Mambocowboy

• Backpacker
« Reply #4 on: March 27, 2021, 01:29:11 AM »
I don't know how long you've been riding or your skill level, but my first few years I focused more on just learning as many different tricks as I could and didn't really focus or worry too much about consistency. I'm still not very good despite so many years riding but oh well I'm just enjoying myself. Often times tricks I learn later give me some skills and new awareness that could then be reapplied to some of the tricks I learned previously thus helping consistency but further down the line.

Nowadays I do work on better consistency from time to time but I still don't fret over it too much. I'm never riding for anybody but myself, so there have been a few tricks here and there that I only pulled a couple times and then decided that was enough and moved on.

Mostly I'd just say do whatever makes you happy.
I've been riding 9 months after not riding since age 16. I definitely have an idea of what tricks I want to master down the road and am doing fundamentals to ensure I have the foundation eg master forward and back peg wheelies before trying time machine s...

Offline aliasdck

• Cliffhanger
« Reply #5 on: March 27, 2021, 08:22:08 PM »
Sounds like a great approach. I started around 14-15 years old back in 1996 but have had long periods of not riding unfortunately. Got back into it most recently about 3 years ago. I too am still working on peg wheelies a lot, have been spending a good portion of most of my sessions on them for the last six months. Forward, backward, in circles both standing on peg that's inside and outside circle, regular, opposite, switch foot and opposite switch plus turbines, pumping, etc. You could almost spend a lifetime perfecting just these alone as it ends up being so many variations possible. I love it.

Offline Mambocowboy

• Backpacker
« Reply #6 on: March 28, 2021, 03:59:40 AM »
Sounds like a great approach. I started around 14-15 years old back in 1996 but have had long periods of not riding unfortunately. Got back into it most recently about 3 years ago. I too am still working on peg wheelies a lot, have been spending a good portion of most of my sessions on them for the last six months. Forward, backward, in circles both standing on peg that's inside and outside circle, regular, opposite, switch foot and opposite switch plus turbines, pumping, etc. You could almost spend a lifetime perfecting just these alone as it ends up being so many variations possible. I love it.
Yes love it too!

Offline mal

• Hitchhiker
« Reply #7 on: March 28, 2021, 11:26:22 AM »

I also started riding again 1.5 years ago after a 20 year off and i took a different approach in practicing than back in the day.I focused more on dialing tricks than learning many tricks,the opposite of what i did back then.

I find this to be more fulfilling.For example if there is a gap of 15 days without riding i can still go out for a session and complete runs without touching,and that is way better than feeling the frustration of totally getting back to zero.

It may be more fun to learn new stuff all the time,but having tricks dialed is more fulfilling (to me).

As for the post question,i think i got a trick pretty much dialed if i can pull it 9 out of 10 times

Offline Mambocowboy

• Backpacker
« Reply #8 on: March 28, 2021, 05:45:00 PM »

I also started riding again 1.5 years ago after a 20 year off and i took a different approach in practicing than back in the day.I focused more on dialing tricks than learning many tricks,the opposite of what i did back then.

I find this to be more fulfilling.For example if there is a gap of 15 days without riding i can still go out for a session and complete runs without touching,and that is way better than feeling the frustration of totally getting back to zero.

It may be more fun to learn new stuff all the time,but having tricks dialed is more fulfilling (to me).

As for the post question,i think i got a trick pretty much dialed if i can pull it 9 out of 10 times
Good strategy. Clean riding is fun that's for sure.