Author Topic: Top tube length and tricks  (Read 3053 times)

Offline Mambocowboy

• Backpacker
Top tube length and tricks
« on: January 20, 2021, 08:19:29 PM »
I have two bikes with very similar frames, a FEC Hudson 19.5 and an FEC turbo 18.8. Both have Alienation rims, FEC free coaster, Autum zero forks and MOC ten inch bars. The Turbo has 1.6 tires and the Hudson 1.75 tires but the bikes have very similar parts and the main difference is top tube length. I am noticing that megaspin and g turns are easier with the Turbo (shorter top tube) and basic rolling tricks like fork glides and cyclones are more comfortable with the longer top tube. Also, scuffing is easier on the longer top tube but not sure if that is due to wider tires...I'm interested to hear since most of you have been riding way longer than me and do much more advanced tricks, if you've  noticed what type of frame geo is more favorable for certain tricks? What frame geo is a necessity for you?

Offline mal

• Hitchhiker
Re: Top tube length and tricks
« Reply #1 on: January 21, 2021, 10:56:08 AM »
if the longer top tube comes with a longer overall wheelbase then the bike will feel and be more stable.From my experience i have also noticed that on tricks that go in circles if you have a longer wheelbase you tend to go in wider circles/more linear and the opposite happens on small frames.

That was very obvious to me when i started flat again and switched from a midschool Big Daddy to a new school Deco Jackpot.But check this out,the Jackpot has a longer top tube than the big daddy but the chainstays on the Jackpot are almost 2 inches shorter,making its overall wheelbase shorter aka making the Jackpot less stable even if its top tube is longer!

So in my opinion the top tube alone doesnt impact handling,it only impacts the space you have for moving around above the top tube. What matters is the overall wheelbase length including the fork's angle and offset (which of course counts in the wheelbase overall length and in turn the overall stability) 

So to conclude if you like spinning/turbine tricks go shorter,if you are into more linear and midschool tricks go longer.Also on a shorter bike it is easier to lift the front or back wheel and move the frame around,on a longer bike you will be more stable. I would suggest to someone who is starting flatland a longer frame until he gets the hang of it.

These are just my thoughts from personal observation.
« Last Edit: January 21, 2021, 11:22:19 AM by mal »

Offline Mambocowboy

• Backpacker
« Reply #2 on: January 21, 2021, 06:15:09 PM »
if the longer top tube comes with a longer overall wheelbase then the bike will feel and be more stable.From my experience i have also noticed that on tricks that go in circles if you have a longer wheelbase you tend to go in wider circles/more linear and the opposite happens on small frames.

That was very obvious to me when i started flat again and switched from a midschool Big Daddy to a new school Deco Jackpot.But check this out,the Jackpot has a longer top tube than the big daddy but the chainstays on the Jackpot are almost 2 inches shorter,making its overall wheelbase shorter aka making the Jackpot less stable even if its top tube is longer!

So in my opinion the top tube alone doesnt impact handling,it only impacts the space you have for moving around above the top tube. What matters is the overall wheelbase length including the fork's angle and offset (which of course counts in the wheelbase overall length and in turn the overall stability) 

So to conclude if you like spinning/turbine tricks go shorter,if you are into more linear and midschool tricks go longer.Also on a shorter bike it is easier to lift the front or back wheel and move the frame around,on a longer bike you will be more stable. I would suggest to someone who is starting flatland a longer frame until he gets the hang of it.

These are just my thoughts from personal observation.
My bikes have similar chain stays. The longer tt has 12.4, the 18.8 has 12.6. The 18.8 feels more squirrelly.

Offline razorlab

• Forkglider
« Reply #3 on: January 21, 2021, 07:04:32 PM »
The Hudson has a 73.5* (!) HT angle and 12.5" CS's. The Turbo is 74* and 12.65" CS.

So it sounds like, with the TT and angle differences, the Hudson has a more "chill" wheelbase overall so it makes sense what you are feeling.

I always thought that HT angle was oddly mellow.

Offline Mambocowboy

• Backpacker
« Reply #4 on: January 27, 2021, 08:59:55 PM »
The Hudson has a 73.5* (!) HT angle and 12.5" CS's. The Turbo is 74* and 12.65" CS.

So it sounds like, with the TT and angle differences, the Hudson has a more "chill" wheelbase overall so it makes sense what you are feeling.

I always thought that HT angle was oddly mellow.
Yes it is. St Martin Weast build coming next : 75 ht, 71 st, 12.2 cs.