Author Topic: Pegs on the edge of the dropout,how far is it safe?  (Read 3906 times)

Offline mal

• Hitchhiker
Pegs on the edge of the dropout,how far is it safe?
« on: January 05, 2021, 02:24:20 PM »
I moved to a smaller sprocket and now for my chain to be tight i have to move the axle far back on the dropout or really slammed,which i don't like very much because my chainstay is short enough for my tastePlus i am ok really with adding some milimeters to my chainstay.

The question is : Is it safe to have the pegs that far out?

I am worried about bending the axle/dropout (14mm KHE axle from the Grayhound freecoaster)
I have normal weight,around 77kg

IMG-20210105-150558" border="0
IMG-20210105-150619" border="0
IMG-20210105-150637" border="0
IMG-20210105-150740" border="0
IMG-20210105-150753" border="0
IMG-20210105-150910" border="0

« Last Edit: January 05, 2021, 06:16:14 PM by mal »

Offline DaddyCool

• Deathtrucker
Re: Pegs on the edge of the dropout,how far is it safe?
« Reply #1 on: January 05, 2021, 11:57:15 PM »
Hm, I did not run my backwheel like this. I would say it may work but it is a little bit critical. Could you post a side view picture? I guess a halflink would be possible. It reduces the actual chainstay lenght about 6 mm. One more tooth on you sprocket reduces the chainstay lenght about 3 mm.

Offline DaddyCool

• Deathtrucker

Offline metalbmxer

• GF Inhabitant
« Reply #3 on: January 06, 2021, 01:45:42 AM »
That's nothing to worry about. Mine are about there too. As long as the entirety of that lock nut on the inside of the dropout is able to sit flush you're good.
Dax (now in LAS VEGAS as of July 2022)

Offline mal

• Hitchhiker
« Reply #4 on: January 06, 2021, 01:36:13 PM »
Hm, I did not run my backwheel like this. I would say it may work but it is a little bit critical. Could you post a side view picture? I guess a halflink would be possible. It reduces the actual chainstay lenght about 6 mm. One more tooth on you sprocket reduces the chainstay lenght about 3 mm.
DaddyCool,i made a very stupid mistake in the measuring and you helped a lot finding that out!I measured a chainlink from pin to pin to be 12mm and stupidly assumed that the axle would move by 12mm and not by 6mm as you correctly said!
The halfink will work.Thanks!

I am just wondering if the setup i presented here will be ok,because i always thought the 13'' chainstay was short for me,in that position it makes it 13.2'' which sounds better.
IMG-20210106-141730" border="0
IMG-20210106-141755" border="0
IMG-20210106-141813" border="0
« Last Edit: January 06, 2021, 01:52:58 PM by mal »

Offline mal

• Hitchhiker
« Reply #5 on: January 06, 2021, 01:41:04 PM »
That's nothing to worry about. Mine are about there too. As long as the entirety of that lock nut on the inside of the dropout is able to sit flush you're good.

I worry more about the freecoaster axle which would be a pain to find and install if bended.The dropout is fixable.

I think the only way to find out is to ride it..

Thanks for the answers guys.
« Last Edit: January 06, 2021, 01:51:39 PM by mal »

Offline razorlab

• Forkglider
« Reply #6 on: January 06, 2021, 07:12:52 PM »
If you are worried about the axle bending, what is between the peg and the outside of the dropout on the left side? Looks like you have a tensioner or washer of some sort?

Offline mal

• Hitchhiker
« Reply #7 on: January 06, 2021, 10:53:48 PM »
There isn't anything there,its the peg's shape that way.
« Last Edit: January 06, 2021, 10:57:05 PM by mal »

Offline DaddyCool

• Deathtrucker
« Reply #8 on: January 06, 2021, 11:48:01 PM »
Hi mal, good that I could help somehow  :) The pin-to-pin distance is 0.5 inch to be precise, so 12.7 mm. But the pin-to-pin line is not parallel to the BB-to-rear-axle line, so it is only an approximation to say that one linke would make 12.7 mm difference. That is one aspect that I wanted to know exactly when I tried to derive that formula in the link I mentioned.
I agree with razorlab: It looks like there is a washer between the dropout and the cone nut on the left side. By the way: What hub is it? Isn't it with KHE internals? So you would find an axle easily.

Offline metalbmxer

• GF Inhabitant
« Reply #9 on: January 06, 2021, 11:52:44 PM »

I worry more about the freecoaster axle which would be a pain to find and install if bended. The dropout is fixable.

I think the only way to find out is to ride it..

Thanks for the answers guys.

I made my answer specifically regarding the axle. The inner locknut of the hub sitting flush on your axle is a good thing for the strength of your axle. I was never worried about your dropouts. I don't think you have anything to gain by moving the wheel forward, especially if you like the longer rear end length. Now if it doesn't bother you to have a shorter CS length then by all means move it in! You could easily take out a half link if not a full link.

Offline mal

• Hitchhiker
« Reply #10 on: January 07, 2021, 09:49:38 AM »
Hi mal, good that I could help somehow  :) The pin-to-pin distance is 0.5 inch to be precise, so 12.7 mm. But the pin-to-pin line is not parallel to the BB-to-rear-axle line, so it is only an approximation to say that one linke would make 12.7 mm difference. That is one aspect that I wanted to know exactly when I tried to derive that formula in the link I mentioned.
I agree with razorlab: It looks like there is a washer between the dropout and the cone nut on the left side. By the way: What hub is it? Isn't it with KHE internals? So you would find an axle easily.
Yes there is a washer but on the inside not the outside,i thought razorlab was talking about the outside.The washer is there to make up for a mod i had done (long story..),i made the cone nut thinner and that makes up for it for the wheel centering.You think it would be a problem?

Yes its the KHE grayhound adjustable freecoaster,i don't know about availability since its not a normal KHE axle,it has the slack adjustment mechanism inside the axle too.I would just like to avoid the hustle of taking out a bent axle,so many bad memories from the mid school era!
« Last Edit: January 07, 2021, 06:04:03 PM by mal »

Offline mal

• Hitchhiker
« Reply #11 on: January 07, 2021, 05:59:53 PM »

Update: For the record,i had a hard session today and the axle didn't move a hair.So its all good with that configuration.It can hold up fine.

But i am gonna put on a halflink and push it forward a bit because it made the front wheel hard to pull up.The bike was more stable though with the added length.

Later I will also post my feelings (at the correct section) about the new Heresy Zephyr flatland tires,the Heresy Evergrip grips tape and the 160mm/20t/9t configuration that i tested today.
« Last Edit: January 07, 2021, 06:08:47 PM by mal »

Offline metalbmxer

• GF Inhabitant
« Reply #12 on: January 08, 2021, 02:09:37 AM »

Update: For the record,i had a hard session today and the axle didn't move a hair.So its all good with that configuration.It can hold up fine.

But i am gonna put on a halflink and push it forward a bit because it made the front wheel hard to pull up.The bike was more stable though with the added length.

Later I will also post my feelings (at the correct section) about the new Heresy Zephyr flatland tires,the Heresy Evergrip grips tape and the 160mm/20t/9t configuration that i tested today.

the slight increase in difficulty to pull the front end up is worth it so long as you can avoid clipping your heels on the back pegs. Makes certain tricks more difficult when your feet are constantly hitting the back pegs because your wheel is moved in too far.

That is amazing you got the new Heresy tires. Let us know how they ride!!!!

Offline mal

• Hitchhiker
« Reply #13 on: January 08, 2021, 10:06:32 AM »

the slight increase in difficulty to pull the front end up is worth it so long as you can avoid clipping your heels on the back pegs. Makes certain tricks more difficult when your feet are constantly hitting the back pegs because your wheel is moved in too far.

That is amazing you got the new Heresy tires. Let us know how they ride!!!!

http://www.global-flat.com/smf/index.php?topic=66531.15