Author Topic: Energy/Stamina  (Read 9541 times)

Offline mal

• Hitchhiker
Re: Energy/Stamina
« Reply #15 on: January 04, 2021, 01:28:30 PM »
ALSO.....
In my case and related to stamina/focus I dont listed to music anymore, I used to ride with an mp3 player, but with the time I found that I focus more without music and I put more attention to my riding, some people love to ride with music, at the end whatever works and helps to improve is a plus.

exactly the same with me!I always used to ride with earphones but noticed it got me distracted and couldnt focus.I switched to a small mp3 player that fits in my pocket and has a small speaker,its better this way.Sometimes when my ridind spot is dead silent i switch that off too.

Offline razorlab

• Forkglider
« Reply #16 on: January 04, 2021, 05:00:54 PM »
I too also reduced the weight of my bike but was done slowly. Bike was like 28-29lbs at first, slowly replaced parts over the last two years and now it's down to like 25ish. My wheels (rims, spokes, hubs) are like 20 years old so newer ones would be lighter but I'm not ready to spend the money yet. I could also probably loose 2lbs if I removed the brakes but I like having them on for the moment. I'm happy with the current weight so not in a rush to get it any lighter.

Yea it can get pricey. I'm done for now. It gets REALLY expensive after this. After riding it for a bit now at 21 pounds, I cannot believe I ever rode flat on a bike that was 32+ lbs. It's crazy.

Hell, even grabbing my park bike that is 27lbs now feels like a tank.

Offline anthony

• Backpacker
  • You live for something or die for nothing....
« Reply #17 on: January 04, 2021, 05:04:31 PM »
Yeah, bike weight is another factor and yes is pricey... my bike is 18.8 punds and that helps me to have longer sessions... IM super happy with my current setup.
« Last Edit: January 04, 2021, 05:13:10 PM by anthony »

Offline Mambocowboy

• Backpacker
« Reply #18 on: January 04, 2021, 06:49:17 PM »
Yeah, bike weight is another factor and yes is pricey... my bike is 18.8 punds and that helps me to have longer sessions... IM super happy with my current setup.
She's a beauty. What frame is that?

Offline mal

• Hitchhiker
« Reply #19 on: January 04, 2021, 10:33:56 PM »
i can confirm that too about the weight.When i switched to a new school build i never got as tired as i got with the midschool bike,the difference was huge.

The lighter bike was never as stable as the midschool one though.You cant be as smooth when the bike is so light.The weight kept the bike stable and made runs smoother,because it wouldnt move around like a feather. But that is for another thread!

Offline anthony

• Backpacker
« Reply #20 on: January 06, 2021, 02:30:34 AM »

Thanks bud, is the Ares Good speed frame.

Offline Mambocowboy

• Backpacker
« Reply #21 on: January 06, 2021, 03:28:16 AM »

Thanks bud, is the Ares Good speed frame.
Very nice!

Offline mal

• Hitchhiker
« Reply #22 on: January 08, 2021, 12:01:12 PM »
check out Terry Adams latest video on youtube,he talks a lot about exercising and diet

Offline jerky

« Reply #23 on: January 09, 2021, 07:31:54 AM »
I just got back into riding this last June after twenty years away.

I'm 45, I work at a computer all day long and because of Covid, I was getting MUCH less daily exercise. I used to walk to/from the train station every morning and night, walk/run up stairs of transit stations and walk through NYC to get to work every day. I also had a very hard year before I started riding again. Death in the family and some life changes. I was depressed and drinking alcohol much more than I had before.

Basically, I was very out of shape when I started back up. I ended up hurting myself a bunch. Pulling muscles, all that fun stuff. I hurt myself very easily. I went over the bars a couple times relearning hang-fives and bruised my ribs. I put my foot down after a simple spinning peg wheelie went wrong and sprained my calf muscle so badly it bruised black and took me out for a month. Just getting up the stairs was a chore. I eventually got some riding centric muscle back because I forced myself to ride my bike every day. Just normal bike rides around the neighborhood. That really helped. I also started rowing with a stationary rower.

Riding also helped me start drinking much less as I noticed my balance would be all F'd up if I drank the night before, not to mention I just felt like ass and didn't want to ride if I had been drinking.

I still have a LONG ways to go to really get back into shape and get my core stronger. One day at a time.

I have no idea how much your bike weighs but the other thing that very noticeably helped me have longer sessions before getting tired was reducing the weight of my flatland bike. Going from 25 lbs to 21 lbs made a huge difference to me. It very much changed how long I could go before quitting a session.

I have to give Anthony, who posted above, credit for giving me that idea!

Out of curiosity what kind of things did you do to shave that 4 pounds off?

Offline anthony

• Backpacker
« Reply #24 on: January 10, 2021, 02:21:05 AM »
Rims, tires, titanium on hubs and freecoasters, cranks and Ti spindle, seat, pedals and pegs... that was for my bike.my bike is 18.8 for a semi long flatland bike and that's a great weight honestly.
Hey razorlab, where in NYC are you located, lmk so we can jam.Ride on!
« Last Edit: January 10, 2021, 02:23:11 AM by anthony »

Offline razorlab

• Forkglider
« Reply #25 on: January 11, 2021, 04:34:56 AM »

Out of curiosity what kind of things did you do to shave that 4 pounds off?

Wheels and cranks. I saved 2.6lbs right there. Had FIT freecoaster wheelset and Odyssey Calibur cranks before.

Then lighter tires, tubes, seat/post combo. Back brakes + gyro and cables where about 1 lb. It adds up.

Here is a list of the current parts and associated weights
« Last Edit: January 11, 2021, 04:36:31 AM by razorlab »

Offline DaddyCool

• Deathtrucker
« Reply #26 on: January 11, 2021, 11:26:33 PM »
A very beautiful bike! The tan wall tires fit very well.

Offline anthony

• Backpacker
« Reply #27 on: January 12, 2021, 03:04:07 AM »
Razor lab is you Bryan?

Offline razorlab

• Forkglider
« Reply #28 on: January 12, 2021, 02:36:08 PM »
Razor lab is you Bryan?

Hey Anthony! Yup, it's Bryan.  :beer:

Offline razorlab

• Forkglider
« Reply #29 on: January 12, 2021, 02:37:35 PM »
A very beautiful bike! The tan wall tires fit very well.

Thanks! I wasn't sold on the tan walls at first, then I put them on and it totally completed the look. It actually makes the bike look visually lighter too. Love them.