Author Topic: BSD - Revolution Freecoaster  (Read 5240 times)

Offline out~riding

• Global Team
  • GF Inhabitant
BSD - Revolution Freecoaster
« on: November 11, 2020, 08:12:58 PM »
BSD has a new freecoaster hub that is based off the Freenight Planetary Coaster that came out a couple of years ago.

BSD - Revolution Freecoaster (2020)

Offline out~riding

• Global Team
  • GF Inhabitant
Re: BSD - Revolution Freecoaster
« Reply #1 on: November 11, 2020, 08:13:40 PM »
Error 404 (Not Found)!!1 Small | Large

Offline out~riding

• Global Team
  • GF Inhabitant
« Reply #2 on: November 19, 2020, 06:55:38 PM »
James White reviews the hub:

Error 404 (Not Found)!!1 Small | Large

Offline Voodoo

• Hitchhiker
« Reply #3 on: November 21, 2020, 03:08:16 PM »

This looks really nice. Looks like they took their time and did it right. I love this kind of development. I go full autist on parts for months at a time. There are sides of BMX that only a geek can see..

That said, I wish companies would do short runs of 3/8" axles for us. I don't mind slotting if I have to..I did it with a Federal freecoaster just to get an operational freecoaster on one of my rigs. Or even factory slotted for simplicity.
I don't miss old school technology one bit.
But old school style and art? We live in a world of a thousand one color decals. Old school aesthetics win a thousand times over.

Offline Mambocowboy

• Backpacker
« Reply #4 on: January 29, 2021, 12:57:47 AM »

This looks really nice. Looks like they took their time and did it right. I love this kind of development. I go full autist on parts for months at a time. There are sides of BMX that only a geek can see..

That said, I wish companies would do short runs of 3/8" axles for us. I don't mind slotting if I have to..I did it with a Federal freecoaster just to get an operational freecoaster on one of my rigs. Or even factory slotted for simplicity.
Yeah I wish but street riding is so dominant they won't even consider making 3/8 hub. I'd love to try this hub but there are no flat frames with 14mm dropouts I want to try . I hear Alienation is also developing a hub like this. Maybe they'll do 3/8? We can hope...

Offline Dmitry D.

• Forkglider
    • https://www.instagram.com/hagalazi/
« Reply #5 on: May 28, 2021, 09:47:00 PM »
I had BSD Revotion since april and this is great hub. New clutch system gives new opportunities with some new tricks ;)

Offline smsabb

• Hitchhiker
« Reply #6 on: December 23, 2021, 05:56:17 PM »
Hey Dimitri ,I just ordered a bsd hub /7ka rim to replace my Madera gulfcoaster and clutch v2 . I kept having issues with the madera hub skipping a tooth from time to time when the pawls do not fully engage .I loved how the hub felt besides the skipping and its seeming like the bsd will have the same solid feeling without the pawls not engaging properly .

Offline Mambocowboy

• Backpacker
« Reply #7 on: December 23, 2021, 06:20:15 PM »
Hey Dimitri ,I just ordered a bsd hub /7ka rim to replace my Madera gulfcoaster and clutch v2 . I kept having issues with the madera hub skipping a tooth from time to time when the pawls do not fully engage .I loved how the hub felt besides the skipping and its seeming like the bsd will have the same solid feeling without the pawls not engaging properly .
I'm now swapping out my fec coasters for BSD as I've found the BSD increases my engagement. No more struggling to find pedal pressure like with fec, and no popping like fec either. I pay a welder$20 to adjust my 3/8 dropouts to 14mm and so far no issues....

Offline Timmer74

• Hitchhiker
« Reply #8 on: January 15, 2022, 08:27:13 PM »
This is a duplicate post to the Alienation post about the planetary hubs... sorry for the dupe :). But, it seems good to share:

I have been riding the BSD Revolution hub for a few months now. When I first got it, it would accidentally engage on me all the time (during rear wheel turbines it engaged all the time). I wanted to love the hub, but was really struggling with that. The lack of slack, the light weight, and how sturdy the hub felt was something that I wanted badly. Another guy that I ride with, who also has the BSD hub,  has not had this happen to him. So, I had hope that it could be resolved.

I ended up writing back and forth with Tal Mazar (inventor) and BSD. Apparently, this has been reported by other riders. Though, they didn't really have much solution for me. For what it's worth, Tal is a super cool dude and was great about talking back and forth. It sounds like  they're continuing to refine the hub. Does that mean a v2 will land? Who knows... But, it does seem like planetary is a 'game changer' in the hub world...since we see so many popping up now.

In a last ditch effort, I bought a brand new clutch mechanism. This was definitely not a cheap thing to try. But, I said 'whatever' and went for it. Since I've had the new clutch it has never accidentally engaged on me. The biggest difference that I noticed between the clutch discs was how easily the new one slid onto the axle. The original was a much tighter tolerance than the new one. Is that the only difference? I don't know. they look identical. Did I need to buy a new one? No, probably not. If I knew what I know now I would probably try to take some steel wool or something to the clutch that came with the hub and try to make it slide on more easily. Which I can still do since I have it.

Do I love the hub now? Yes, yes I do. I had been riding the Oddy Clutch (v1 and V2). While I do like that hub, I always had some 'slop' in the hub. I could grab my tire and push back and forth and feel a little side to side slop. I even tried replacing bearings. But the slop remained.

I think as time goes on and more and more riders try/switch to the planetary hubs they will probably figure stuff out/refine them. The only thing that I don't like about the planetary is that the pawls sometimes pop. It's such an un-nerving sound. It doesn't happen a ton. But, it does happen from time to time. Keeping the axle nuts super tight seems to help here...

Is this the perfect 'flatland' hub? That I don't know. It's super sturdy, smooth, and light. I almost wish that it had just a little bit of slack though (<= 15 degrees or so). I only ride flat and have no regrets with the hub...even if it didn't work perfectly out of the box. 

That's been my BSD Planetary Hub adventure...

Ride on!

Offline out~riding

• Global Team
  • GF Inhabitant
« Reply #9 on: January 16, 2022, 02:04:05 PM »
Interesting take Timmer74.

On a recent video I watched where they explain taking the hub apart, they keep on mentioning not to grease the internals because it could fail... I wonder if that has anything to do with the initial problems you had?
« Last Edit: January 16, 2022, 08:23:22 PM by out~riding »

Offline Mambocowboy

• Backpacker
« Reply #10 on: January 16, 2022, 05:47:22 PM »
Interesting take Timmer74.

On a recent Alienation video I watched where they explain taking the hub apart, they keep on mentioning not to grease the internals because it could fail... I wonder if that has anything to do with the initial problems you had?
With all the Planetary coasters they need to be dry and the cone nuts tight to function properly.

Offline out~riding

• Global Team
  • GF Inhabitant
« Reply #11 on: January 16, 2022, 08:22:45 PM »
Here is the video I watched:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JhFQ3SKbYCA

The mechanism has a O-ring inside and it's function is to create a certain amount of resistance. If it gets gummed up with grease there will be too much resistance and the planetary gears won't work correctly.

Of course running the internals dry will result in serious wear in the long run.... It seems like they need to develop this system more.

Offline Timmer74

• Hitchhiker
« Reply #12 on: January 17, 2022, 04:51:15 AM »
yeah, running dry was Tal's (and Pat's) recommendation when I first started trying to figure this out. My hub engaged randomly on me on the very first session. So, I don't think that it was gummed up or anything like that. Running mine dry had the exact same random engagement. For me, the 'random' engagement was probably at least 70% of turbines. Not here and there type thing. It was all the time.

I even tried dry chain lube... same thing. A couple drops of bearing oil..same thing. A couple drops of tri-Flow... yep..same thing.

For my hub, it really seems as though it was how easily the clutch slid on/spun on the axle. The first one was much more sticky than the replacement hub. It was snug enough on the axle that I couldn't easily get the clutch out to get it off the axle. I had to remove the axle to get the clutch off. The replacement could slide off due to gravity. but, it didn't feel like there was slop either.

"
Of course running the internals dry will result in serious wear in the long run.... It seems like they need to develop this system more."

My thoughts exactly out~riding. But, I don't see it being something to worry about all the time.

Oh, when I was emailing back and forth with Tal, I said that it would be awesome to have female versions of the axle. It sounds like we will at some point! I wont be surprised if they have some Ti in the work as well.

Offline smsabb

• Hitchhiker
« Reply #13 on: February 03, 2022, 07:06:09 PM »
You may need to contact whomever made your hub and get a replacement clutch pack for it .

Offline smsabb

• Hitchhiker
« Reply #14 on: February 03, 2022, 07:09:15 PM »
And I got my new wheel ,And it is so far 100 times better than the madera hub I had ,Made in america my asshole ,It deserves to be in a dumpster .