Author Topic: New Rig.. St. Martin Evo..  (Read 4485 times)

Offline Voodoo

• Hitchhiker
New Rig.. St. Martin Evo..
« on: November 08, 2020, 05:26:03 PM »

2012 St. Martin Evo. My friend Wes was looking to make some room...and since this top tube size is right in between my two main rigs, I decided to give this frame a try. It feels excellent so far. And with a longer stem, it feels really roomy for being such a small frame.

If I switched to Mac 1 tires, I could shave off another pound..but it feels pretty good with the Trackmarks and with the Motel Works I was running before those. It feels anchored and solid.

I'm considering swapping the fork out for my Fishbone Rebel fork so that I have the option of switching from zero offset to 15mm whenever I feel like it.

FRAME SPECS -

St. Martin Evo
top tube : 18.5
chainstays : 12.1
head angle : 75°
seat angle : 71°
BB height : 12.0
Frame Weight - 4.1 lbs

TOTAL BIKE WEIGHT - 22 Pounds

FORK - Odyssey Flatware - Zero Offset
BARS - OG Caramel 3 Bars
STEM - Odyssey Tomahawk
COMPRESSION CAP - Odyssey
GRIPS - ODI P.O.W. - I love these old grips and found a pair NOS.
BAR ENDS - Odyssey Par Ends
FRONT BRAKE - Demolition Vulcan V2
REAR BRAKE - Demolition Vulcan V2
BRAKE PADS - Odyssey Ghost Pads (front and rear)
BRAKE LEVERS - Odyssey Monolever / Odyssey M2 Monolever
GYRO - Odyssey GTX-R
CABLES - Odyssey Slic Cables, Odyssey M2 Cables, Odyssey Linear Slic
CABLE HANGER - Odyssey
HEADSET - Odyssey
SEAT - Odyssey Junior - railed
SEAT POST - Odyssey Intact
SEAT CLAMP - Odyssey Mr. Clampy
CRANKS - Profile Mini Magnatanium 125mm
SPROCKET - St. Martin Evo 20t - spline drive
PEDALS - Odyssey Twisted PC
CHAIN - Shadow Interlock V2
BOTTOM BRACKET - Odyssey
FRONT RIM - GSport Rollcage
REAR RIM - GSport Rollcage
FRONT HUB - GSport Marmoset
REAR HUB - Odyssey Clutch with full 3/8" axle kit
SPOKES - Odyssey
TIRES - S&M Trackmark 1.75" folding
TUBES - KHE Twiggy Tubes
PEGS - GSport Plegs (front and rear)

The Odyssey Clutch has a full 3/8" axle kit that I installed. After purchasing, I ground the shoulder down and converted the hub to a true 3/8" axle.

« Last Edit: November 08, 2020, 05:42:14 PM by Voodoo »
I don't miss old school technology one bit.
But old school style and art? We live in a world of a thousand one color decals. Old school aesthetics win a thousand times over.

Offline Mambocowboy

• Backpacker
Re: New Rig.. St. Martin Evo..
« Reply #1 on: November 08, 2020, 05:56:14 PM »

2012 St. Martin Evo. My friend Wes was looking to make some room...and since this top tube size is right in between my two main rigs, I decided to give this frame a try. It feels excellent so far. And with a longer stem, it feels really roomy for being such a small frame.

If I switched to Mac 1 tires, I could shave off another pound..but it feels pretty good with the Trackmarks and with the Motel Works I was running before those. It feels anchored and solid.

I'm considering swapping the fork out for my Fishbone Rebel fork so that I have the option of switching from zero offset to 15mm whenever I feel like it.

FRAME SPECS -

St. Martin Evo
top tube : 18.5
chainstays : 12.1
head angle : 75°
seat angle : 71°
BB height : 12.0
Frame Weight - 4.1 lbs

TOTAL BIKE WEIGHT - 22 Pounds

FORK - Odyssey Flatware - Zero Offset
BARS - OG Caramel 3 Bars
STEM - Odyssey Tomahawk
COMPRESSION CAP - Odyssey
GRIPS - ODI P.O.W. - I love these old grips and found a pair NOS.
BAR ENDS - Odyssey Par Ends
FRONT BRAKE - Demolition Vulcan V2
REAR BRAKE - Demolition Vulcan V2
BRAKE PADS - Odyssey Ghost Pads (front and rear)
BRAKE LEVERS - Odyssey Monolever / Odyssey M2 Monolever
GYRO - Odyssey GTX-R
CABLES - Odyssey Slic Cables, Odyssey M2 Cables, Odyssey Linear Slic
CABLE HANGER - Odyssey
HEADSET - Odyssey
SEAT - Odyssey Junior - railed
SEAT POST - Odyssey Intact
SEAT CLAMP - Odyssey Mr. Clampy
CRANKS - Profile Mini Magnatanium 125mm
SPROCKET - St. Martin Evo 20t - spline drive
PEDALS - Odyssey Twisted PC
CHAIN - Shadow Interlock V2
BOTTOM BRACKET - Odyssey
FRONT RIM - GSport Rollcage
REAR RIM - GSport Rollcage
FRONT HUB - GSport Marmoset
REAR HUB - Odyssey Clutch with full 3/8" axle kit
SPOKES - Odyssey
TIRES - S&M Trackmark 1.75" folding
TUBES - KHE Twiggy Tubes
PEGS - GSport Plegs (front and rear)

The Odyssey Clutch has a full 3/8" axle kit that I installed. After purchasing, I ground the shoulder down and converted the hub to a true 3/8" axle.

Man I'm intrigued by St Martin frames with those super short chain stays and high bottom brackets for nose tricks. Seems like they're not coming out with new frames though...

Offline Voodoo

• Hitchhiker
« Reply #2 on: November 08, 2020, 06:06:55 PM »

Yeah, and they started getting longer as well during the last couple years.

2009 - 2013 had some short rear ends.

There is a street rider that appears on a lot of Scotty Cranmer vids. I was watching Big Boy do a video bike check with him and he was going over his custom frame. Guess what his rear end length is? 12.1" !! For street / park riding.

I was trying to tell a few people a while back that the park / street frames were getting shorter and shorter in the rear while flatland was getting longer again..but they weren't  believing it. And that was back when they were getting around 12.6". Now a dude is running 12.1"..Hah!

They are suuuuper nimble. I just run super short cranks.. So that my feet never hit the pegs in the rear or catch my foot on the front tire when on the pedals.
But old school style and art? We live in a world of a thousand one color decals. Old school aesthetics win a thousand times over.

Offline Mambocowboy

• Backpacker
« Reply #3 on: November 08, 2020, 09:23:43 PM »

Yeah, and they started getting longer as well during the last couple years.

2009 - 2013 had some short rear ends.

There is a street rider that appears on a lot of Scotty Cranmer vids. I was watching Big Boy do a video bike check with him and he was going over his custom frame. Guess what his rear end length is? 12.1" !! For street / park riding.

I was trying to tell a few people a while back that the park / street frames were getting shorter and shorter in the rear while flatland was getting longer again..but they weren't  believing it. And that was back when they were getting around 12.6". Now a dude is running 12.1"..Hah!

They are suuuuper nimble. I just run super short cranks.. So that my feet never hit the pegs in the rear or catch my foot on the front tire when on the pedals.
Yeah that guy Brooklyn is great at tailwhips with his 12.1 back end... I use 145mm with my 12.4 back end  I have no interest in a 13 inch or more chain stay, neither on a street or flatland bike. The long back end is good for high speeds and big drops, neither of which is my thing...

Offline Voodoo

• Hitchhiker
« Reply #4 on: November 08, 2020, 09:45:13 PM »

Totally! I've told this story a thousand times..but I used to complain all the time about the rear end on BMX frames. I couldn't believe that they were the same size as racing frames then..and no one was doing anything about it.

I was so stoked to see rear ends get to the length they should have been for years. It's the thing that got me to go with new school bikes. That and the fact that my current bike weighs 60% of what my old bike did.

You nailed it. Bikes feel like a canoe to me if the chainstays are over 12.5" / 12.6" ...I can ride different top tube lengths and find value and benefits in lots of them. Anything from 17.9" to 19.25"..but if the rear end is more than 12.5 or so, it's a deal breaker. In a lot of ways, chainstay length is more important to me than top tube length.

If the wheelbase is 32" or under with a short rear end, I can make it work.

The Voodoo is one of my favorite frames..and it has a 19.25" top tube with a 12.1" rear end. It feels really awesome. And is excellent for mixing up both old school and new school riding.
« Last Edit: November 08, 2020, 09:50:24 PM by Voodoo »

Offline Mambocowboy

• Backpacker
« Reply #5 on: November 08, 2020, 10:57:35 PM »

Totally! I've told this story a thousand times..but I used to complain all the time about the rear end on BMX frames. I couldn't believe that they were the same size as racing frames then..and no one was doing anything about it.

I was so stoked to see rear ends get to the length they should have been for years. It's the thing that got me to go with new school bikes. That and the fact that my current bike weighs 60% of what my old bike did.

You nailed it. Bikes feel like a canoe to me if the chainstays are over 12.5" / 12.6" ...I can ride different top tube lengths and find value and benefits in lots of them. Anything from 17.9" to 19.25"..but if the rear end is more than 12.5 or so, it's a deal breaker. In a lot of ways, chainstay length is more important to me than top tube length.

If the wheelbase is 32" or under with a short rear end, I can make it work.

The Voodoo is one of my favorite frames..and it has a 19.25" top tube with a 12.1" rear end. It feels really awesome. And is excellent for mixing up both old school and new school riding.
both those lengths sound perfect to me.  I'd definitely go 125mm cranks with  a 12.1 back end.

Offline Voodoo

• Hitchhiker
« Reply #6 on: November 09, 2020, 01:26:23 AM »

You are in league with my friend Wes and I as far as frame length goes. We are autists about it. We're a two man cult. If you want to join, dues are $25 cents every 100 years.

I was running 160's when I got my first new school rig together. Mistake for me. With a zero offset fork, I was constantly snagging the tip of my shoe on the front wheel when I turned it. And catching the back of my shoes on the rear pegs. At the time, I was running a St. Martin Ten with a 17.9" top tube..but in reality, it's actually much shorter than that. When I found a set of 125's and found an 18.8" Ten, I was golden. The 125's felt so good, I just started using them on all my rigs except my Class X. I'm running Profile 145's on the Class X 'cause it's my only flat / other hybrid.

Offline Mambocowboy

• Backpacker
« Reply #7 on: November 09, 2020, 03:23:06 AM »
Yes I definitely want in on this club. I also like short stems to shorten my wheelbase and am obsessive about my bikes weight, especially the wheels lol

You are in league with my friend Wes and I as far as frame length goes. We are autists about it. We're a two man cult. If you want to join, dues are $25 cents every 100 years.

I was running 160's when I got my first new school rig together. Mistake for me. With a zero offset fork, I was constantly snagging the tip of my shoe on the front wheel when I turned it. And catching the back of my shoes on the rear pegs. At the time, I was running a St. Martin Ten with a 17.9" top tube..but in reality, it's actually much shorter than that. When I found a set of 125's and found an 18.8" Ten, I was golden. The 125's felt so good, I just started using them on all my rigs except my Class X. I'm running Profile 145's on the Class X 'cause it's my only flat / other hybrid.

Offline Voodoo

• Hitchhiker
« Reply #8 on: November 13, 2020, 05:56:22 AM »

I was running super short stems on my setups for a while. I started out with an X26 stem...then moved to the 28mm Odyssey stem...Then 30mm. Then I got a 35mm Colony stem and it made a huge difference in room and leverage. Then, I moved to 40mm and eventually 45mm. Which is exactly the size stem I used to ride a long time ago. Hah.

So yeah, a short wheelbase with a long stem for me works really well. I'm not super tall..but I have long limbs for my height. Lanky. I don't feel cramped at all like this.

When I was riding the 17.9 Ten with a 28mm stem, it was crazy cramped for me.

Offline Mambocowboy

• Backpacker
« Reply #9 on: November 13, 2020, 04:52:35 PM »

I was running super short stems on my setups for a while. I started out with an X26 stem...then moved to the 28mm Odyssey stem...Then 30mm. Then I got a 35mm Colony stem and it made a huge difference in room and leverage. Then, I moved to 40mm and eventually 45mm. Which is exactly the size stem I used to ride a long time ago. Hah.

So yeah, a short wheelbase with a long stem for me works really well. I'm not super tall..but I have long limbs for my height. Lanky. I don't feel cramped at all like this.

When I was riding the 17.9 Ten with a 28mm stem, it was crazy cramped for me.
Yes I do run a longer stem on my 18.8 because it can get a little cramped. But I think I'm going to cut my bar width on the 18.8 because the shorter the top tube , the more room I need to spin the bars...

Offline Voodoo

• Hitchhiker
« Reply #10 on: November 15, 2020, 06:22:30 PM »

That's a good idea. I love swapping ideas on how to make bikes work. Some people just put bikes together and ride them. With me, every single part is picked for a reason...and if it doesn't work for me, I remove it and move on until I find the part that works.

Out of loyalty, I try to use Odyssey family parts unless I just can't use the part due to specs.

What bars are you using?

With me, I move my seat back...I know a lot of people push their seats forward. But I set up my rigs kind of quasi-old-school. It gives me enough room for the bars. Plus, I still use the top tube for tricks and it keeps the seat out of the way.

Do you ride a zero offset fork? For me, that can effect what top tube length I'm rocking...because for me, it all really rests on the wheelbase. I run zero offset for the most part..and it allows a little bit longer top tube in some cases as long as the rear end is tiny.

If my Voodoo had a 13.65" rear end or some crap like that, there is no way I could comfortably ride it. But after adjusting the rear dropouts and getting it to about an even 12" or a hair under, it feels amazing. Even with the top tube at 19.3" (which is really about 19.25").

I can totally handle a longer top tube as long as the wheelbase remains short. I could probably ride a 19.5" top tube with an 11" rear end. Hah!! I'd love to see what that feels like. I'd probably be rocking 110mm cranks, though.

Offline Mambocowboy

• Backpacker
« Reply #11 on: November 15, 2020, 07:22:38 PM »

That's a good idea. I love swapping ideas on how to make bikes work. Some people just put bikes together and ride them. With me, every single part is picked for a reason...and if it doesn't work for me, I remove it and move on until I find the part that works.

Out of loyalty, I try to use Odyssey family parts unless I just can't use the part due to specs.

What bars are you using?

With me, I move my seat back...I know a lot of people push their seats forward. But I set up my rigs kind of quasi-old-school. It gives me enough room for the bars. Plus, I still use the top tube for tricks and it keeps the seat out of the way.

Do you ride a zero offset fork? For me, that can effect what top tube length I'm rocking...because for me, it all really rests on the wheelbase. I run zero offset for the most part..and it allows a little bit longer top tube in some cases as long as the rear end is tiny.

If my Voodoo had a 13.65" rear end or some crap like that, there is no way I could comfortably ride it. But after adjusting the rear dropouts and getting it to about an even 12" or a hair under, it feels amazing. Even with the top tube at 19.3" (which is really about 19.25").

I can totally handle a longer top tube as long as the wheelbase remains short. I could probably ride a 19.5" top tube with an 11" rear end. Hah!! I'd love to see what that feels like. I'd probably be rocking 110mm cranks, though.
I run 3 back 3 up for bars . For flatland bars I like minimal backsweep and upsweep...I do zero offset only on my flatland bike. I use Odyssey R15 on my "street" bike but am going to try zero offset on that bike too since I mainly just work on gturns and mini ramp tricks with it.

Offline Voodoo

• Hitchhiker
« Reply #12 on: November 18, 2020, 02:40:36 PM »

I like 3* back for bars. My Angel bars are 3* back, the Caramel 3 bars on the Evo are 3.5 up and back..and feel really good. My Chase bars are 6* and they feel good as well but 6* is about my max now.

I got used to zero for a while...but then, after doing some backsweep again, it just felt better.

I like having the Fishbone dual offset fork and have tried to run 15mm a few times...but after getting used to zero, 15 just feels choppered out...When I try to ride an old school bike with rake AND a bunch of offset, I'm blown away that I could ever even ride it at all. It completely feels like a chopper.

Offline Bone

• Cliffhanger
« Reply #13 on: July 12, 2021, 04:05:49 AM »
Love the color