Author Topic: Frame down tube clearance? Why was it made what tricks are opened or closed?  (Read 2721 times)

Offline JamieRomoser

• Forkglider
Frame down tube clearance? Why was it made what tricks are opened or closed?

I can think of funky chicken but are there others?

Seems pretty interesting flatland frames started doing this?

Offline FlatismŽ

• GF Inhabitant
    • Flatism
When scuffing was a thing...
Helps with modern moves, just not that critical a design as bitd.
Flat-ism

Offline Revig

• Cliffhanger

first frame on the market with bended down tube was the GT Performer in 1984,
reason was :

The bend at the top of the downtube was to enable full 180° x-up without crushing the front brake cable (this was before Potts Mod cable routing)

later it became a way to make some tricks easier

If you do not know what the pott's mod is (and basically what are the bmx bikes beginnnings), some history lessons are available there: http://www.23mag.com/

Offline Voodoo

• Hitchhiker

Back in the day, those side-pull brakes weren't made for the "front only". They had super high arms that stuck up. So instead of just designing a front brake, they started making frames with clearance.

My first BMX frame that was converted to a freestyle bike had a standard downtube..and I remember my Dad had to take a pair of pliers, grab the top of the brake arm and bend it down just a little so it would clear. The Potts Mod allowed the cable to thread through the fork but the brake was still dinosaur. That was "custom"..Hah.

Take all that and mix it with the fact that you had to take your stem height that you were comfortable with and raise it up an uncomfortable 1.25 - 1.5 inches higher just so the Rotor had some "track" to slide on.

It was an archaic but very fun time...everything was new.

So yeah, they brought the clearance back later because of tricks...but in the beginning, they should have just designed a "front only" brake.
I don't miss old school technology one bit.
But old school style and art? We live in a world of a thousand one color decals. Old school aesthetics win a thousand times over.