Author Topic: No one around me seems to want to learn flatland? It confuses me why there arnt  (Read 3158 times)

Offline JamieRomoser

• Forkglider
No one around me seems to want to learn flatland? It confuses me why there arnt more flatlanders?

I mean there’s flat ground everywhere you would only think more people would get into seeing how readily available it is?

Maybe it’s just a harder discipline of riding? That takes more patience or maybe even bike maintenance?

Offline 89schwinnsting

• Backpacker
It's a combination of all of the above. Most folks can appreciate flatland, but most don't have the drive, desire, or immense patience it takes to lesrn it. Serious riders can dedicate 6 months to learn a single combo that may only tske a few seconds to execute in real time. And the majority of time practicing is spent in isolation. Japam is an exception to the rule, due to it having a concentrated flatland scene. So it takes more discipline, but less maintenance, especially if you ride brakeless.

Offline i love sharin foo

It seems to take a person with a unique set of attributes to want to devote so much time to something that outwardly may appear so simple. My friends that I used to skate with were never impressed with flatland. They couldn't understand why somebody would want to spend so much time learning just one trick. I don't know why, but I have always loved the fact that you don't just step on a bike and pull this stuff off. You earn it, one piece at a time, paid for in persistence, blood, and sweat. It really feels like an accomplishment to try something over and over and OVER, analyze what is going going wrong, what you NEED to do, then see it gradually come together. I'm a complete beginner at this point. 37 years old and I rode out of the most perfect fork glide that I've ever done just yesterday. I've been able to ride in and roll (and scuff) no problem for a long time, but my ride outs have always been half assed and not pretty. I have tried and tried to do it one of the more "proper" ways that I've seen a lot of other riders (on Youtube) do. It took me a month, but I have it figured out now! I'm not consistent at it yet, but I'm going to keep at until I can do it on demand. And THAT is something that there aren't more flat riders around. A couple months spent on one "trick" that most people wouldn't even recognize as taking some effort to pull off.

Offline deacon

• Funky Chicken
I've just accepted that flatland is a lonely hobby. I'm in a city in the uk and pretty sure I'm the only rider in the whole city.
I'm a rock climber and a skateboarder which are both very sociable, so I rude flat for a bit of 'me' time.

Offline DaddyCool

• Deathtrucker
It seems to take a person with a unique set of attributes to want to devote so much time to something that outwardly may appear so simple. My friends that I used to skate with were never impressed with flatland. They couldn't understand why somebody would want to spend so much time learning just one trick. I don't know why, but I have always loved the fact that you don't just step on a bike and pull this stuff off. You earn it, one piece at a time, paid for in persistence, blood, and sweat. It really feels like an accomplishment to try something over and over and OVER, analyze what is going going wrong, what you NEED to do, then see it gradually come together. I'm a complete beginner at this point. 37 years old and I rode out of the most perfect fork glide that I've ever done just yesterday. I've been able to ride in and roll (and scuff) no problem for a long time, but my ride outs have always been half assed and not pretty. I have tried and tried to do it one of the more "proper" ways that I've seen a lot of other riders (on Youtube) do. It took me a month, but I have it figured out now! I'm not consistent at it yet, but I'm going to keep at until I can do it on demand. And THAT is something that there aren't more flat riders around. A couple months spent on one "trick" that most people wouldn't even recognize as taking some effort to pull off.
Hey i love sharin foo, you decribed it really well! Interesting considering that you say you are a beginner.

Offline i love sharin foo

Hey i love sharin foo, you decribed it really well! Interesting considering that you say you are a beginner.

Thanks! I rode flat for a little bit when I was about 15. I never learned much but it developed a deep appreciation in me for how much work it really takes. I then rode a bit more when i was in my early 20s. At that point, I had a LOT of wrist issues and was transitioning into an "adult" with a full time job and all that goes with it. I sold my bike and didn't get another until lat this past summer. So, I am a beginner in ability, but my ties to flatland go way back haha! I've approached it carefully this time and have paid attention to what my body is telling me. By doing that, gradually building strength in my wrists, and making my bike lighter, my wrists are WAY better now.

Offline mal

• Hitchhiker
what all above said.

flat is the hardest style of bmx and probably one or even THE hardest sport.

Its for loners, people who like to personally evolve,grow,flat is meditation

flat has nothing to do with the other styles of bmx,its a sport on its own.

people who ride street,park,dirt etc do it in a big part just to hang out with their friends,their tricks are more dangerous but hundreds of times easier than flat tricks,most of them just require guts,not skills or dedication practice and patience.

flatland is a very esoteric sport