Author Topic: Frame recommendations  (Read 4408 times)

Offline Mambocowboy

• Backpacker
Frame recommendations
« on: June 12, 2020, 03:51:22 AM »
Looking to build a flatland custom bike with a top tube between 19 and 19.75 and chain stay between 12.6 and 12.8.Favorite tricks I can't do yet are time machines and decades . Fine with trying to learn on a brakeless bike so brake mounts not needed....
 Thanks for recommendations.

Offline mal

• Hitchhiker
Re: Frame recommendations
« Reply #1 on: June 12, 2020, 12:19:00 PM »
are you starting flatland now?

if you are new or getting back after many years brakeless will only give you frustration. It isnt even a challenge. It just wont happen unless you have already spent some years riding flatland without brakes.

At least get a frame and forks with brake mounts even if you wont use them.
« Last Edit: June 12, 2020, 12:26:02 PM by mal »

Offline Mambocowboy

• Backpacker
« Reply #2 on: June 12, 2020, 05:05:43 PM »

if you are new or getting back after many years brakeless will only give you frustration. It isnt even a challenge. It just wont happen unless you have already spent some years riding flatland without brakes.

I have an Ares afx with brakes. I dont use them and they get in the way...I'm looking to build a dream custom flatland bike...

Offline out~riding

• Global Team
  • GF Inhabitant
« Reply #3 on: June 12, 2020, 05:16:31 PM »
how about a Deco Jackpot?

Offline Mambocowboy

• Backpacker
« Reply #4 on: June 12, 2020, 10:57:01 PM »
The Deco Jackpot is a good frame
good choice and not saying that because
I am friends with Chadster!
That's 2 jackpot recommendations. I'll do some research on that one...

Offline mal

• Hitchhiker
« Reply #5 on: June 13, 2020, 09:11:35 AM »

I have an Ares afx with brakes. I dont use them and they get in the way...I'm looking to build a dream custom flatland bike...
ok then!i ride the jackpot too!Good geometry,very light and you also support a person that has contributed a lot to bmx

Offline Mambocowboy

• Backpacker
« Reply #6 on: June 20, 2020, 12:51:38 AM »
yep
Get back to us when after you do that research on the Deco and tell us what
you think about that frame!
My Ares has a shorter back end than the Deco, so I may stick with it awhile.. I dont understand why the current flatland frames don't have steep head tubes? The Bastille is 75.5 but other than that they're mostly 75 degrees...it seems with all the front wheel flatland tricks a steeper ht makes sense...

Offline GcodeProgram

« Reply #7 on: June 20, 2020, 06:13:37 AM »
I come from the dirt jump world and have always had brakes. I just built a flatland bike and have been riding it a ton, no brakes and its going fine.

Offline DaddyCool

• Deathtrucker
« Reply #8 on: June 20, 2020, 11:23:08 PM »
Hello Mambocowboy, I remember the Quamen frames having a HT of 76.5 deg, but in 2003 KGB came up with a 73.5 HT and it seemed like riders thougt again about a good HT angle. It became more or less stable with 75.0 for a while. Today many street frames have a steeper HT because riders prefer this for nose wheelies.
I see that when you do pinky squeaks for example your back wheel touches the ground much easier with a steeper HT. On the other side a low HT angle makes it less easy to go into a hang 5. So it depends on the tricks you are doing and your personal preference. I consider 75 deg to be a very good compromise.

Offline Mambocowboy

• Backpacker
« Reply #9 on: June 21, 2020, 12:44:02 AM »
Hello Mambocowboy, I remember the Quamen frames having a HT of 76.5 deg, but in 2003 KGB came up with a 73.5 HT and it seemed like riders thougt again about a good HT angle. It became more or less stable with 75.0 for a while. Today many street frames have a steeper HT because riders prefer this for nose wheelies.
I see that when you do pinky squeaks for example your back wheel touches the ground much easier with a steeper HT. On the other side a low HT angle makes it less easy to go into a hang 5. So it depends on the tricks you are doing and your personal preference. I consider 75 deg to be a very good compromise.
76.5 must have been amazing on the front wheel...my street bike is 75.2 and I'd like to try 75.5 or more

Offline DaddyCool

• Deathtrucker
« Reply #10 on: June 24, 2020, 09:51:59 AM »
I would not be so sure... When I switched from around 74 ° to 75 ° I could not do pinky squeaks anymore! I was horrible! It took me several sessions to adapt. In the end I like it more (or maybe I am just used to this now). So it is hard to say what is "better". There are pro level riders that say more than 74 ° is bad for flatland! The FEC frame has 74 ° for example and the Autum Blitz too. In the end it is personal preference.

Offline Mambocowboy

• Backpacker
« Reply #11 on: June 24, 2020, 06:44:42 PM »
I would not be so sure... When I switched from around 74 ° to 75 ° I could not do pinky squeaks anymore! I was horrible! It took me several sessions to adapt. In the end I like it more (or maybe I am just used to this now). So it is hard to say what is "better". There are pro level riders that say more than 74 ° is bad for flatland! The FEC frame has 74 ° for example and the Autum Blitz too. In the end it is personal preference.
Good to know. As an update, I take back everything my arrogant ass said about not needing brakes. After 33 years off, I need front and back brakes badly. Getting them put on very soon...

Offline Voodoo

• Hitchhiker
« Reply #12 on: July 26, 2020, 12:42:42 AM »
My Ares has a shorter back end than the Deco, so I may stick with it awhile.. I dont understand why the current flatland frames don't have steep head tubes? The Bastille is 75.5 but other than that they're mostly 75 degrees...it seems with all the front wheel flatland tricks a steeper ht makes sense...

In my opinion, this is where things are really upside down in BMX. Every single flatland company is lengthening their frames. Most new rear ends are longer. 13+ inches. Top tubes getting longer and longer too. Which is totally fine...but every company shouldn't be following that blueprint.

Then you have street / park bikes getting shorter and shorter. Sunday Street Sweeper, Tall Order, Cult 2-Short, ALVX...some rear ends getting as short as 12.5" while the flat bikes get longer. Hah!!! That's just a few. There are tons of street / park frames rocking 12.5 / 12.6 rear ends.

"It's like, Come on." - Jimmy Valmer

I don't miss old school technology one bit.
But old school style and art? We live in a world of a thousand one color decals. Old school aesthetics win a thousand times over.

Offline Mambocowboy

• Backpacker
« Reply #13 on: July 26, 2020, 02:07:20 AM »

In my opinion, this is where things are really upside down in BMX. Every single flatland company is lengthening their frames. Most new rear ends are longer. 13+ inches. Top tubes getting longer and longer too. Which is totally fine...but every company shouldn't be following that blueprint.

Then you have street / park bikes getting shorter and shorter. Sunday Street Sweeper, Tall Order, Cult 2-Short, ALVX...some rear ends getting as short as 12.5" while the flat bikes get longer. Hah!!! That's just a few. There are tons of street / park frames rocking 12.5 / 12.6 rear ends.

"It's like, Come on." - Jimmy Valmer
Yep I greatly prefer short back ends. New FEC will be 12.4 CS. Only drawback is I need to spend for shorter cranks to keep from hitting my pegs...Time for me to get some 145mm.

Offline sakis

• GF Inhabitant
« Reply #14 on: July 27, 2020, 03:11:03 PM »
145 is not good for the knees if you pedal or do pedal tricks! Flatland frames use zero fork. Zero needs 74.5 or shallower to work better. Street frames use 20+mm offset. They need 75.25 or steeper to work better. Thats what i figure out. For a mid setup you need a minimal offset fork,75 ha or steeper and 13” chainstays. Thats what i think.