Author Topic: Profile Column 22mm Cranks  (Read 2238 times)

Offline Feeble

Profile Column 22mm Cranks
« on: May 20, 2020, 06:30:42 PM »
Hi guys. Hopefully this will be the last annoying question I ask on here before I can finally ride again!

I have installed a United Euro 22mm bottom bracket. I mistakenly bought a set of United Severance cranks before realizing that they only work with the spline drive sprocket on a LHD setup. I did actually install the cranks back to front before realizing that it wasnt the right part. Doh.

Anyway, now I have ordered the only suitable spline drive 165mm crank available with a 22mm axle. Profile Columns.

They came today, and I am not quite ready to fit them, especially as the axle is very long so I'm waiting for my spacers. But that is not my question...

When I fitted the United cranks they just slipped right into the bottom bracket. No problem. I just tried to poke the axle of the Profiles in through the bottom bracket, and it maybe goes in 10mm before it gets tight. Now, I called up the shop I bought them from, and they said it will definitely go in with some brute force. Rubber mallet etc. And comments on YouTube videos I have watched are saying that this axle is mega tight in the bearings too....

But do you lot agree? Is this axle going to come out ok on the other side, or am I gonna totally mess up the whole lot by whacking it through?

I hope some of you have experience with the Profile cranks and can give me some reassurance before I possibly enter a world of pain...

Offline mal

• Hitchhiker
Re: Profile Column 22mm Cranks
« Reply #1 on: May 20, 2020, 06:55:40 PM »
if the cranks are really tight on the axle you will need a crank tool,skip brute force.Your local bike shop should have a crank tool.And of course plenty of grease,its normal to be tight on first installation,but grease is essential
« Last Edit: May 20, 2020, 06:58:05 PM by mal »

Offline nosubsteve

• Hitchhiker
« Reply #2 on: May 20, 2020, 07:29:57 PM »
The axle should go through the bottom bracket without much effort really - as long as your BB spacer is in straight, just a few gentle taps should get it through. Again a tight fit, but nothing compared to the crank arm on the splines.

Profile do say the crank arms/spline have a tight tolerance fit, and that is no joke. One side went on just fine for me, and the other was a nightmare. There was no way that crank arm was going on without some strength - it took two of us, me with my foot on the crank arm, and my friend using all his weight on the tool with a wrench to get the thing to tighten up.

Offline Feeble

« Reply #3 on: May 20, 2020, 07:45:09 PM »
The crank came with a crank tool, so I'm not too worried about getting the arms onto the axle, it is just getting the axle through the bearings that I am concerned about.

Why cant things be like the good old days when cranks came with the whole bottom bracket? Lol

Offline nosubsteve

• Hitchhiker
« Reply #4 on: May 20, 2020, 08:20:32 PM »
I think it's the trade off for loose bearings and broken axles...

Offline DaddyCool

• Deathtrucker
« Reply #5 on: May 21, 2020, 12:12:17 AM »
Hi Feeble, I had a similar problem (spindle did not go through the installed bearings). I realised that when the bearings were not installed the easily slipped over the spindle. So the installed bearings had a slightly decreased inner diameter! This was surprising to me, but it was true. I solved this by pressing the bearings into the frame with the spindle being in the bearings. Do you know what I mean? It was not easy but in the end it worked fine and I did not need to hammer it like hell...

Offline Feeble

« Reply #6 on: May 21, 2020, 05:36:28 AM »
Hey DaddyCool. That sounds promising. Where I have a euro style bottom bracket it should be easy to install using that method as there is no hammering involved! Great tip, I will give it a go! Thanks