Author Topic: crank drifting/moving help  (Read 543 times)

Offline Timmer74

• Funky Chicken
crank drifting/moving help
« on: October 25, 2019, 07:42:07 AM »
hey all,
I'm wondering if any of you have any tips/tricks for keeping your cranks from drifting. I just took the bike apart and cleaned it up and now have these nice smooth cranks that love to drift on me during tricks. I currently have my chain pretty tight but with juuuust a wee bit of slack. I hate getting it so tight that it just feels like I'm tearing the chain apart when pedaling.I have the bottom bracket spacer thing in the bottom bracket and feel like I have the bearings pressed into it pretty well too.

Before the rebuild, I was running the Shadow half link chain and I wasn't dealing with this issue. But, when rebuilding my bike, I bent the stupid pin in my chain breaker and had to switch to a non half link chain since my other chain breaker can't handle the shadow chain.

Anyway, just curious what you all do to deal with this? I'm pretty sure there has to be something I can do other than buy a new chain breaker so I can put the shadow chain back on...

Running the Odyssey Clutch v2 hub too....

thanks for any and all help!

Offline Voodoo

• Funky Chicken
Re: crank drifting/moving help
« Reply #1 on: October 26, 2019, 05:02:20 AM »

What type of cranks are you using? Profile style / 48 spline? Or something with a pinch bolt?

If you're using Profile style / 48 spline, add another small spacer on the spindle. Then use the actual crank bolts to tighten it up until you get the level of free movement that you want. If it gets too tight, take your crank removal tool, bang it out a little and start over. I like mine loose, actually. So I tend to do this a few times until it's perfect for me.

If you're using the pinch style cranks, you can pretty much do the same thing. Just remember to loosen the pinch bolts up and lock them down when you get the free movement right.

Personally, I don't like using my chain tension to adjust the way the crank moves. Mainly for the same reasons you mentioned. A crunchy feeling and sounding crank is the worst. Plus, it puts excessive tension / wear on the bearings. A decent amount of slack (just like you said you had it) is perfect.

I will buy your spotless frame from you and beat it up.

Offline Timmer74

• Funky Chicken
« Reply #2 on: October 28, 2019, 04:47:02 AM »
Thanks for the reply Voodoo! I'll try playing around with that. I ended up sliding the wheel back every so slightly just to get the cranks set. There's not crunching/bad sounds when I pedal. I just hate there always being so much tension on the chain... But, it's working flawlessly right now.

but, I think I'll try your idea just to see if I can get it to work.

and yes, profile 48 spliners.

thanks again dude

Offline mal

« Reply #3 on: November 04, 2019, 09:39:11 AM »
I think chad de groot puts a grip flange between the sprocket and the frame for dealing with this situation.Saw it on a chad' bike check on profile's web site,check it out on the link below

https://decobmx.com/2015/10/14/chad-degroot-jackpot-bike-check/
« Last Edit: November 04, 2019, 11:35:56 AM by mal »

Offline nosubsteve

• Funky Chicken
« Reply #4 on: November 06, 2019, 01:47:59 PM »
Similar to a grip flange, you can actually buy a bottom bracket designed to put sideways pressure on the bearing to keep your cranks from drifting: https://www.vocalbmx.com/shop/vice-drs-bottom-bracket/

Offline bmxelement90

• Backpacker
« Reply #5 on: November 06, 2019, 05:30:16 PM »
put a grip flange between your sprocket and bb and you'll be good! :)

Offline Timmer74

• Funky Chicken
« Reply #6 on: November 07, 2019, 01:48:38 AM »
thanks for the ideas all!I'd actually done the flange idea before but decided I didnt like it. felt super weird to me.

I actually just ordered the vocal bottom bracket conversion parts (not the whole BB). I'm in the USA, so we'll see how long it takes to get here... But, to buy grips and have them shipped wouldnt be that much cheaper...soooo, yeah, why not spend a little more and buy something specifically designed for what I'm looking to fix!

I'll post an update at some point. But, it looks very promising!

Offline mal

« Reply #7 on: November 07, 2019, 07:40:11 PM »
My question is,doesn't the grip flange mod have an impact when you pedal?Like it slows you down and stuff?
Does the vocal mod work the same?I dont understand how it works.

It obviously is very convenient to have the pedals where you left them,but does it have a cost?
It would suck if you could felt the flange or the vocal mod slowing you down.

Offline eightyfivegt

• Funky Chicken
« Reply #8 on: November 14, 2019, 06:49:03 PM »
Sandwiched grip flange works well.  Chad hooked me up with this mod. a few years back.  He has a stack of flanges hanging on the peg board in his shop.  The drag while pedaling is hardly noticable.  The flange eventually wears out so, keep replacements on hand.  This may drive your choice in grips...selecting models with flanges to cut off.  LOL

Offline Revig

• Backpacker
« Reply #9 on: Yesterday at 10:14:48 AM »

check : http://www.global-flat.com/smf/index.php?topic=44853

on that old topic the missing pic was showing a flange on the cranck axle before installation, I experimented that solution also, that's a little difficult to put the axle on place but that works really well!

Offline mal

« Reply #10 on: Yesterday at 11:40:07 AM »
Has anyone tried the Vocal mod? It seems more convenient

But does it wear out the bearings from the pressure?