Author Topic: Good tires for scuffing  (Read 10246 times)

Offline mal

• Hitchhiker
Good tires for scuffing
« on: October 17, 2019, 06:59:14 PM »
Yeah..you guessed my age!
I do both,rolling and scuffing.
I was using V-Monsters before i let flatland go from me and i was fine,now that i returned to the flat earth i bought some Ares A-Class (regular compound) and they are VERY good and stable for rolling but don't have ANY grip for scuffing.

I ride on marble and tennis/street basketball smooth concrete.
Would the Ares silicon compound ones be better?Any other suggestions?

Offline Voodoo

• Hitchhiker
Re: Good tires for scuffing
« Reply #1 on: October 17, 2019, 10:45:34 PM »

Dude, I scuff like it's 1987.

I've used about every tire in the book.

The S&M Trackmark tire is superior in quality and best for scuffing. Good grip on your foot but not too much. The rubber is superior as well. Best part? They're 24.99 at FlatlandFuel right now.

The KHE Mac 1 is good as well...However, quality has gone down on that tire. They blow out a lot.

The Frequency G is okay...but in my opinion, not the best for old school scuffers. It's a good tire, though.

The Maxxis Grifter is similar to the S&M Trackmark...but the Trackmark still beats it.

I won't even waste time going into details on the rest... 

The S&M Trackmark wins. And it's only 15 oz...which isn't bad for a good tire. It doesn't even feel like a folding tire after you've installed it.

One more detail - the Trackmark is a true 1.75" tire. And they last a LONG time.

« Last Edit: October 17, 2019, 10:50:38 PM by Voodoo »
I don't miss old school technology one bit.
But old school style and art? We live in a world of a thousand one color decals. Old school aesthetics win a thousand times over.

Offline aliasdck

• Cliffhanger
« Reply #2 on: October 18, 2019, 04:35:32 AM »
You seem to like these trackmark tires, Voodoo. I may have to give them a try. How are they on slick surfaces?

Mal, are you using good shoes with decent grippy soles? I've found that my shoe choice is as important as which tire I'm using, when it comes to scuffing. Still hunting for the right shoe though... got another thread on it going too, these guys have given me some good recommendations that I'm looking into.
« Last Edit: October 18, 2019, 04:38:22 AM by aliasdck »

Offline mal

• Hitchhiker
« Reply #3 on: October 18, 2019, 09:41:22 AM »
Great info,Voodoo,thanks!
Lol @ 87' scuffing!

Alias,yes you are right about shoes,i now ride on some airwalks,but i m thinking of trying a waffle vans type sole,probably this pattern will grip better.

The first days on the Ares A-Class were great for scuffing,best grip ever!But once it wore out a bit it was gone.

But i have to say,this tire is great,it didn't slide on some angles that would definitely had me on the floor with the V-Monsters.
« Last Edit: October 18, 2019, 09:45:24 AM by mal »

Offline Voodoo

• Hitchhiker
« Reply #4 on: October 18, 2019, 02:27:27 PM »
You seem to like these trackmark tires, Voodoo. I may have to give them a try. How are they on slick surfaces?

They are great on slick surfaces. Mainly because the rubber feels like legitimate rubber. Like an old school tire. For example - If I slap my Frequency G's together, they sound like I'm slapping plastic together. They have an overall plastic feel to them...as do a lot of the new school tires. But the Trackmarks are soft..but not cheap soft. They feel like what tires felt like back in the day. They are a little wider than a lot of the tires because they're a true 1.75"..But they make up for it in every other way.

To be honest, I didn't even pick them out. Total accident. I won them in last year's FlatlandFuel Holiday Giveaway. And I fell in love with them.

But old school style and art? We live in a world of a thousand one color decals. Old school aesthetics win a thousand times over.

Offline Voodoo

• Hitchhiker
« Reply #5 on: October 18, 2019, 02:28:20 PM »
Great info,Voodoo,thanks!
Lol @ 87' scuffing!

No problem. I think for what you are doing and your style of riding, you will be impressed with them.

Offline mal

• Hitchhiker
« Reply #6 on: October 18, 2019, 03:00:54 PM »
i just checked the s&m trackmarks,the way they are knurled,their texture is very similar to the V-Monsters..! Do they wear out fast?
Do they still grip after the knurled texture is smoothened out?

Offline Voodoo

• Hitchhiker
« Reply #7 on: October 18, 2019, 05:20:38 PM »
i just checked the s&m trackmarks,the way they are knurled,their texture is very similar to the V-Monsters..! Do they wear out fast?
Do they still grip after the knurled texture is smoothened out?

They do not wear out fast. For me, the new school compounds wear down quickly..and made out of that very plastic-feeling rubber. I got mine last December and there is still a ton of tread. In fact, they don't appear to be worn down much at all.

And yes, because the rubber is so soft, they retain grip. Think (as far as rubber feel goes) Hoffman Skidmark tires. The rubber has that old / mid school feel to it. Most of the new comounds feel more like plastic than they do rubber to me. These do not. 

Sorry if I'm repeating myself but I just want to give as many details as possible.

Again, they are wider. Here's a pic of mine up against a KHE Mac 1 1.75"...My Frequency G's are about the same width as the KHE's. The Trackmarks are dead-nuts 1.75" wide

And yes, definitely similar to the V Monsters...that was one of the reasons why I thought you'd really like these...plus, the compound is old school soft.

If you buy them and hate them, I'll buy them off you. Hah. But, from what you have said, there is a 99.9% chance that you will love them.
« Last Edit: October 18, 2019, 05:25:42 PM by Voodoo »

Offline mal

• Hitchhiker
« Reply #8 on: October 18, 2019, 09:18:37 PM »
Thank you very much for the time you spent writing all this info,really helpful and i am gonna try these after the Ares.Their price is very good too! 

Are we talking about these https://eu.sourcebmx.com/products/s-m-trackmark-kevlar-tyre?loc=gr&lang=en&currency=eur ?
because they are different than the one in your photo.Is the source bmx shop's an older model?
« Last Edit: October 18, 2019, 09:27:49 PM by mal »

Offline Voodoo

• Hitchhiker
« Reply #9 on: October 19, 2019, 01:27:50 AM »
Thank you very much for the time you spent writing all this info,really helpful and i am gonna try these after the Ares.Their price is very good too! 

Are we talking about these https://eu.sourcebmx.com/products/s-m-trackmark-kevlar-tyre?loc=gr&lang=en&currency=eur ?
because they are different than the one in your photo.Is the source bmx shop's an older model?

No problem. At all.

Yes, it appears that Source is showing an older photo, I think . If you ordered from flatlandfuel, you would get the same ones I have. I think the tread in the center is just changed a little from the Source photo. Chain Reaction has the most recent version up. These are the ones I have...And the ones Chain Reaction and FlatlandFuel are peddling...
« Last Edit: October 19, 2019, 01:29:31 AM by Voodoo »

Offline aliasdck

• Cliffhanger
« Reply #10 on: October 29, 2019, 08:00:31 PM »
Hey Voodoo, I think I'm gonna pick up a pair of these s&m tires. How much pressure do you run in them? I generally run about 120-130psi and I noticed they are rated at 110. Any issues going slightly over? I've had other tires fail when pushed past 120, so curious if you have any input?

Offline Voodoo

• Hitchhiker
« Reply #11 on: October 30, 2019, 04:58:14 AM »

I run between 80 - 100
However, these are not super thin like a Mac 1..
So I really don't forsee a problem if you went a little over.
Also, since they are thicker, less pressure feels like more. You may be able to run 110 and be good with it.

Offline aliasdck

• Cliffhanger
« Reply #12 on: October 30, 2019, 05:35:54 AM »
Ok thanks

Offline aliasdck

• Cliffhanger
« Reply #13 on: November 01, 2019, 05:37:41 AM »
I went ahead and bought a pair today (pay day couldn't come quick enough!). Both my current tires are very bald and have big patches where the threads are showing.

Once I get them installed I will be trying out a spot with a slicker surface then I'm used to. I'm excited, have been avoiding riding there because of my bald tires so I'm looking forward to their delivery.

Offline Voodoo

• Hitchhiker
« Reply #14 on: November 01, 2019, 06:20:43 AM »

I think you'll be really happy with them, man. They grip really well.
Let us know when you get them set up and ride on them.