Author Topic: Flatware chase gouin bars.  (Read 9074 times)

Offline Rizalflatlander

• Hitchhiker
  • The Sit Grabber
Flatware chase gouin bars.
« on: September 18, 2019, 01:06:44 PM »
Hello everyone,
old but would like to ask, if anyone of you have pictures of the V1 and V2 Chase bars for comparison? I bought one on ebay and I can’t tell if this one is the V2 or V1.
I have two chase bars now and can’t find the difference. I am also not sure which version this first chase bars I already had.
Your answers is highly appreciated. Thanks!
Rizal

Offline DaddyCool

• Deathtrucker
Re: Flatware chase gouin bars.
« Reply #1 on: September 18, 2019, 10:47:21 PM »
Hi Rizal,a very intersting question! I bought one from Bikers Base in Germany some month ago and also could not find out if it was V1 or V2. I even asked Odyssey but they could not give a clear answer. So I do not know if there was any difference in the sticker design for example which could clarify.Unfortunately we cannot see the difference in the wall thickness that was announced for V2. I searched the web for some pictures and in the one from FF they say that one bending radius was increased. But it is hard to see that. Would you say there is a difference in these two pictures?

Offline Rizalflatlander

• Hitchhiker
  • The Sit Grabber
« Reply #2 on: September 19, 2019, 11:25:28 AM »
Hey there Daddycool,
Yes I can’t identify which one is the V1 and V2. I have compared these two Chase bars I had and I noticed the  difference at the bottom edge of the bars where Stem clamps. The one is smooth while the other one has welded cover. Hut I can not tell which is V1 and V2.

I can post the picture but it won’t work here.

Offline Voodoo

• Hitchhiker
« Reply #3 on: October 07, 2019, 11:21:09 AM »

If you look closely, V1 is more "upright" where V2 bends out wider overall. I'm a Chase bar junkie.
If you take some good pics, I can tell you which version they are.
I don't miss old school technology one bit.
But old school style and art? We live in a world of a thousand one color decals. Old school aesthetics win a thousand times over.

Offline DaddyCool

• Deathtrucker
« Reply #4 on: October 07, 2019, 09:36:15 PM »
Hi Voodoo,that's what I was waiting for!  :P This is mine.

Offline Voodoo

• Hitchhiker
« Reply #5 on: October 08, 2019, 01:06:04 PM »

After staring at them for a while, the junction where the crossbar meets the bars looks like V1 to me. Also, the decals appear to be V1 to me as well. The V2's came with white 41 Thermal stickers up above / on the rear of the bars.

Now, don't panic and don't let that discourage you. I have a pair of V1's that I have literally beat the crap out of and are still going to this day.

Did you throw any decals on or did they come like that? And can you take one more pic from the rear of the bars? I don't want to dis-info you.

You took really good pics, by the way.
But old school style and art? We live in a world of a thousand one color decals. Old school aesthetics win a thousand times over.

Offline Voodoo

• Hitchhiker
« Reply #6 on: October 08, 2019, 01:30:36 PM »

By the way, this is what I'm referring to. The junction where the crossbar meets the bars
on the outside..and then the overall space and gap between the bars.

Here are my V2's as well. It's hard to tell and you have to have a keen eye for them...but the gap is wider.
« Last Edit: October 08, 2019, 01:38:56 PM by Voodoo »

Offline khe killah

• Administrator
  • GF Inhabitant
« Reply #7 on: October 08, 2019, 01:45:55 PM »
I had a set of the Chase bars snap on me mid trick. It broke right off at the bend by the crossbar.

I now have the Terry Adams Bayou bars. Zero sweep.
Very similar but without the bend at the crossbar making them stronger imho.

Offline Voodoo

• Hitchhiker
« Reply #8 on: October 08, 2019, 01:53:55 PM »

I've seen the pics!
Yeah, it snapped right where I marked those pics on the outside in red, right?
That's why they changed the design there. The angle got a little less steep.

Also, the shape of the Bayou bars are very simiar to my St. Martin Angel (ange) bars
that I just got back from my friend Wes as a present. Except for the crossbar, of course. But they are very similar. Even in width.
« Last Edit: October 08, 2019, 04:02:36 PM by khe killah™ »

Offline khe killah

• Administrator
  • GF Inhabitant
« Reply #9 on: October 08, 2019, 04:01:55 PM »
Yeah, right on the money. Luckily my full weight wasn't on them at the time.

Still love them bars tho, I cant get into the generic street style bars most riders seem to rock these days.

Offline Voodoo

• Hitchhiker
« Reply #10 on: October 08, 2019, 04:43:08 PM »
Yeah, right on the money. Luckily my full weight wasn't on them at the time.

Still love them bars tho, I cant get into the generic street style bars most riders seem to rock these days.

I never could, man. Even my SE Trick Master bars were more like Bayou bars and/or Angel bars. Hah. That was before I started riding strictly Masters back in the day. The day Haro released the Kneesaver was the last time I rode a two piece bar. I'm ultra-mega picky about bars, man.

Right now, my love affair is with the aforementioned Odyssey Chase Bars and the OG Caramel 3 bars.

Offline khe killah

• Administrator
  • GF Inhabitant
« Reply #11 on: October 08, 2019, 06:02:24 PM »
I'm with you bro!! Zero sweep too for me. Sum of these bars these days feel like a granny's happy shopper bike they have so much sweep.

Offline DaddyCool

• Deathtrucker
« Reply #12 on: October 08, 2019, 08:12:28 PM »
Hi Voodoo,thanks a lot so far!I need to take a picture and post it later because I want to ride soon and as you know this has priority  :) I did not change any stickers, it came like this.By the way: I also have an OG Caramel 3  ::) I really like beautiful handlebars and for my taste this is not two-piece.My main bars are custom London Bikes ones based on the Dagmar III with 2 ° upsweep and zero backsweep.I can also post pics later...

Offline Voodoo

• Hitchhiker
« Reply #13 on: October 08, 2019, 10:59:00 PM »
I'm with you bro!! Zero sweep too for me. Sum of these bars these days feel like a granny's happy shopper bike they have so much sweep.

Dude, when I tried to ride some of my reallllly old school sets of bars, I was shocked at how ridiculous all the backsweep felt. Totally like a beach cruiser or something.

I have this thing where if I'm running a 26-30mm stem, I run zero. But if I'm using a 35mm or longer stem, I use 3-6*. But never more than 6*. I pretty much had both versions of all my bars for a long time. But my friend Wes needed my Chase zeros so off they went. I should have a lot more bars than I currently have...but other parts are needed or friends need them.

Hi Voodoo,thanks a lot so far!I need to take a picture and post it later because I want to ride soon and as you know this has priority   I did not change any stickers, it came like this.By the way: I also have an OG Caramel 3   I really like beautiful handlebars and for my taste this is not two-piece.My main bars are custom London Bikes ones based on the Dagmar III with 2 ° upsweep and zero backsweep.I can also post pics later...
I like the Caramels. If you ever get rid of them, let me know. I want to find a extra set for my Voodoo that is coming.

I ran some Londons for a bit. Great bars. But I still run brakes and I'm an OCD lunatic about running brake cables. They can't stick up anywhere. Not even a millimeter. The Chase bars and the Caramel bars lend themselves to smooooooth cable routing. And with the low crossbar, they're both perfect for me.

Now you've got me trying to remember which London bars I was running. Possibly Queen Viks? It's gonna' be an evening of obsessing until I remember. The St. Martin Ange (Angel) and Demon bars are both really nice too. They feel really good.

Offline DaddyCool

• Deathtrucker
« Reply #14 on: October 09, 2019, 11:44:32 PM »
Hi Voodoo,here is my Chase bar from the backside (sorry, the picture was taken in my basement without daylight, not so good this time) and my London Bikes bar for information.Sorry, I won't sell the OG bar, I like it too much. I know many riders do not understand that so well, but I have some parts that I don't even plan to use but more to collect. I bought it directly from Marton, maybe he has some left...By the way: I mailed Odyssey some weeks ago about the Chase bar and the guy could not tell me exactly. He mentioned that only the wallthickness was changed so one could not see it from outside, but I also doubt that. At Flatlandfuel for example it was mentioned that the bending radius of the support tube (leading to the grip tube area) was changed in the area where the cross bar is welded onto it. He said maybe Pat could clarify, but I didn't ask him yet.What do you think?