Author Topic: Riding everyday vs every other day  (Read 6211 times)

Offline aliasdck

• Cliffhanger
Riding everyday vs every other day
« on: August 24, 2019, 08:13:07 PM »
Since getting back into riding ~9 months ago I've been riding almost every single day. Progression has been slow but steady - which I'm fine with. I am enjoying myself and have gotten back into shape which is a great bonus.

The past week I have tried riding every other day instead of everyday. This way I seem to have more stamina and better concentration. I'm not sure yet but I think this might be better for progression since I will be giving my body/muscles adequate time to recover between sessions.

Any thoughts on this? What frequency have you found best?

Another thing I'm thinking about doing is still riding everyday but then alternating the types of tricks I work on so that I'm not working out the same muscles everyday. For example, first day work on mostly left footed tricks, the next day mostly right footed tricks, next day left footed tricks, etc

Offline griOt

• Team
  • Deathtrucker
Re: Riding everyday vs every other day
« Reply #1 on: August 24, 2019, 11:48:58 PM »
I'm planning to get back into riding from ~9 years hiatus  :D . Although I been riding mostly road bikes these days, I am still in touch with many flatland friends and pros...

Flatland progression has always been slow and steady as it takes years to master tricks and/or links. So I think you should just ride as you please, no schedule or planning. It's definitely a good idea to take 1+ days off every week to rest muscles you feel fatigue or from injury. Time off also let's you enjoy other aspects in your life, besides you may feel "hungry" to ride so that increases focus next session -but yes, good rest to your body is definitely a plus.

I think flatland is more aerobic than anaerobic exercise, so I don't think its important (although not a bad idea) to rest the same muscles. I've known many flatland riders and pros that rode 5 days a week, and one question i've noticed is how much front wheel versus back wheel tricks should be practiced  ;D

Look at Skateboards that commute daily and/or practice tricks often; the lowwer muscle groups being worked are consistent.

the few, the proud, the flatlanders

Offline aliasdck

• Cliffhanger
« Reply #2 on: August 25, 2019, 03:12:30 AM »
Thank you for the reply griOt. I remember seeing you post years ago. Welcome back, I hope you do decide to get back into flatland again.

You're right that most people should just ride as they please and not worry too much about planning/scheduling but I can't help it tbh. I have a bit of OCD and it actually pleases me to take a scheduled approach to things, so I find more enjoyment when taking a scheduled approach to riding. I do try not to be too obsessive or schedule too much  ;D

Your point about flatland being more aerobic than anaerobic is interesting, and you are probably right that I can ride everyday and just take occasional breaks. Like you suggested riding everyday with one day off a week is probably a good approach.

Edit: I don't know why the text in my first paragraph is so small. This happens a lot to me here and I'm not sure why. I never intentionally tried to change text size?
« Last Edit: August 25, 2019, 03:16:44 AM by aliasdck »

Offline griOt

• Team
  • Deathtrucker
« Reply #3 on: August 25, 2019, 08:18:32 PM »
Haha thanks, yeah its been awhile. Time, work, and life flew by, but i been in touch with my flatland friends. I been collecting parts and lookin forward to ride asap this year.

There's nothing wrong with OCD, ahaha. Do as you please because I do suggest to workout/train your opposite limbs on mirror tricks/links. For example, practice whiplashes or tailwhips both directions which help familiarize your bike and overall balance.

Have fun, don't stress out, and the best balancing tip i've read from Matt Wilhelm: your head should always be in front of the pegs you're on.

As for the text, i dont know, ahah. I recently just started lurking on here again. Have a good one

Offline Revig

• Cliffhanger
« Reply #4 on: August 26, 2019, 03:38:23 PM »

Hi griOt, just wondering if you have news from Quamen chief Zenta Sugimora? is he in good health?

Offline jbeezy

• Forkglider
« Reply #5 on: August 26, 2019, 06:53:39 PM »
I'm planning to get back into riding from ~9 years hiatus  :D . Although I been riding mostly road bikes these days, I am still in touch with many flatland friends and pros...

[/size]
[/size][size=78%]Do you have any suggestions for a flatlander looking to get into road bikes?[/size]

Offline griOt

• Team
  • Deathtrucker
« Reply #6 on: August 27, 2019, 01:16:13 AM »

Hi griOt, just wondering if you have news from Quamen chief Zenta Sugimora? is he in good health?

Dang, I haven't been with Quamen for almost a decade, although I visited and helped time to time. Quamen (Dig-It bikes) closed down 4 or 5 years ago which included the last USA-made frames from Cult bikes. Nobody knows about his current health situation; I've recently asked old co-workers. We just know he ended up retiring to Japan and to be with his wife...

I'm planning to get back into riding from ~9 years hiatus  . Although I been riding mostly road bikes these days, I am still in touch with many flatland friends and pros...

[size=78%]Do you have any suggestions for a flatlander looking to get into road bikes?[/size]

Although totally different from BMX because you are not sitting often, my best and rather important suggestion (for upper-body comfort and lower-body efficiency) to lessen fatigue is to get a properly sized road bike. Go visit your favorite LBS and see what size frame you should be on -or just youtube (road) bike fitting DIY.

Offline aliasdck

• Cliffhanger
« Reply #7 on: September 16, 2019, 12:54:28 AM »
I've been experimenting and similar to what Griot said I've found what works best for me: I ride everyday but try take a day off every 3 to 5 days.

I've also started doing additional exercising about 2-3 times a week. Nothing too crazy, I just run for 15 minutes, do push-ups, pull-ups and crunches. I've noticed extra strength and endurance when riding now. Feels good man.

Offline griOt

• Team
  • Deathtrucker
« Reply #8 on: September 21, 2019, 04:34:17 AM »
I've been experimenting and similar to what Griot said I've found what works best for me: I ride everyday but try take a day off every 3 to 5 days.

I've also started doing additional exercising about 2-3 times a week. Nothing too crazy, I just run for 15 minutes, do push-ups, pull-ups and crunches. I've noticed extra strength and endurance when riding now. Feels good man.

Thanks for the update and great idea on the additional exercises. They undoubtedly tie in all together to benefit your riding progression. I need to get myself back into the gym... :)