Author Topic: FOR THE LIFE OF ME...where can I find min-sweep handlebars?  (Read 6029 times)

Offline thomas

• Hitchhiker
 Yes I know there is a marketplace section but I’m not getting traction. I’ve been a member of this site likely longer than most of you but for the life of me I can’t find any place that has minimal back sweep that look like regular BMX handlebars not freestyle looking bars that are tall.

Any help in a distributor or mfg or online site?  FF has nothing I want or its all sold out.
« Last Edit: May 04, 2019, 04:19:27 AM by thomas »

Offline aliasdck

• Cliffhanger
Re: FOR THE LIFE OF ME...where can I find min-sweep handlebars?
« Reply #1 on: May 04, 2019, 04:11:57 AM »
Im sorry, I don't have any advice to help you but I was hoping to clarify for others what you mean by "regular bmx handlebars". Are you talking about 2 piece bars kinda like these:

If not what style are you looking for?

Offline thomas

• Hitchhiker
« Reply #2 on: May 04, 2019, 04:18:40 AM »
^^^YES^^^

Offline Flatism®

• GF Inhabitant
    • Flatism
« Reply #3 on: May 04, 2019, 09:42:30 AM »
Intrikats?
Flat-ism

Offline nosubsteve

• Hitchhiker
« Reply #4 on: May 04, 2019, 10:02:56 AM »
I have a set of Heresy Ascend bars if you're in Europe? They're the 9"/7deg version, but they also come in 8.5"/3deg backsweep. Can't fault Intrikats though.

Offline thomas

• Hitchhiker
« Reply #5 on: May 04, 2019, 07:28:45 PM »
Pat from FF helped me.  Thank you!!

Offline masonmar

• Forkglider
« Reply #6 on: May 05, 2019, 03:02:41 PM »
Hey Thomas, I would suggest finding a bar with the least amount of back sweep and bend the rest out of it. It may sound crazy but I’ve done it many times. I got the idea from Dave Mirra back in the 90’s. I met him at a skatepark and he was putting new bars on his bike. He took them and stuck the grip tube in the coping and bent more up sweep in them. So I figured it would work for taking back sweep out. Good luck.

Offline DaddyCool

• Deathtrucker
« Reply #7 on: May 05, 2019, 10:36:00 PM »
That is interesting masonmar!But I could imagine that the modern bars with heat treatment are different than the ones in the mid 90s, don't you think? I would be a little scared.A friend of mine changed the sweep of his bars several times, but he did it "more professional". He put sand in the tube and heated it up (don't know which temperature, but definitely very hot). Then he bent the bars. After this the bars need new paint. As far as I know it worked out for him with different bars.Nevertheless, lucky we are to have Pat  :)

Offline masonmar

• Forkglider
« Reply #8 on: May 05, 2019, 11:40:23 PM »
The bars that Dave was bending where some 1” over sized haros, probably not heat treated. I was doing this to odyssey Gouin bars. I couldn’t get any minimal sweep ones so I did it to the 6 degree back ones. Changed them to 2 degrees. I would think heating up something already heat treated would cause problems, but it didn’t. I like the idea with using sand, Daddycool. I bet with or without heating them up, the sand would definitely help. I’ll give that a go if I need to ever do it again.