Author Topic: Bike Check(s) 2019...  (Read 3182 times)

Offline Voodoo

• Hitchhiker
Bike Check(s) 2019...
« on: October 07, 2019, 06:33:10 AM »
I've been riding these.
However, I'm now waiting on a Voodoo I just bought. I think it's gonna solve my need for a little more room up front without dealing with a longer rear end.

2013 St. Martin Ten 17.9

FORK - Odyssey Flatware
BARS - Odyssey Chase / No BS
STEM - Odyssey 45mm frontload
HEADSET - Odyssey
LEVERS - Odyssey M2 and Monolever
CABLES - Odyssey M2 / Slic Cable and Gyro Cables..
BRAKES - Demolition Vulcan 2 front w/ Odyssey Springfield rear
PADS - Odyssey Ghost Pads
GRIPS - BSD Dunks
CRANKS - Profile 125mm w/ GDH spindle
SPROCKET - St. Martin Evo 20t spline drive
PEDALS - Odyssey Twisted
BOTTOM BRACKET - Primo
CHAIN - YBN Half Link
WHEELS - Odyssey Hazard Lite with Odyssey Spokes + Anti-Gram front hub and Clutch Freecoaster
TIRES - KHE Mac 1 1.75"
TUBES - KHE Twiggy Tubes
PEGS - KHE Alchemy
SEAT - Velo
POST - Odyssey Intact
CLAMP - Odyssey Mr. Clampy Too

2013 St. Martin Ten 18.8

FORK - Fishbone Rebel Fork
BARS - Odyssey Chase BS Bar
STEM - Colony Exon 35mm
HEADSET - Odyssey
LEVERS - Odyssey M2 and Monolever
CABLES - Odyssey M2 / Slic Cable and Gyro Cables..
BRAKES - Odyssey EVO II front and Odyssey Springfield in the rear

PADS - Odyssey Ghost Pads
GRIPS - BSD Dunks

CRANKS - Profile 145mm w/ GDH spindle
SPROCKET - Profile 20t spline drive
PEDALS - Odyssey Twisted
BOTTOM BRACKET - Profile 
CHAIN - YBN Half Link
WHEELS - GSport Rollcage rims with Odyssey Spokes + GSport Marmoset hub and Clutch Freecoaster which has been DIY modified by me to a full 3/8" axle kit.
TIRES - S&M Trackmark 1.75"
TUBES - KHE Twiggy Tubes
PEGS - KHE Alchemy
SEAT - Mankind Globe
POST - Colony
ADAPTER - Odyssey Convertible Gut Kit

CLAMP - Old Haro double clamp from the 90's

VIDEO Version of the bike checks -

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WbwBHXSBrqg

« Last Edit: October 07, 2019, 07:01:54 AM by Voodoo »
I don't miss old school technology one bit.
But old school style and art? We live in a world of a thousand one color decals. Old school aesthetics win a thousand times over.

Offline khe killah

• Administrator
  • GF Inhabitant
Re: Bike Check(s) 2019...
« Reply #1 on: October 07, 2019, 01:37:32 PM »
Looks sick bro!!

Offline aliasdck

• Cliffhanger
« Reply #2 on: October 08, 2019, 03:27:15 AM »
Nice! Your bikes are beautiful, especially the chrome one. Very very nice. And I really like this 'video' style bike check. I enjoyed watching.

I am curious about a couple of things:

1) Which of the two bikes do you prefer, the one with the shorter top tube or the one with the longer top tube? Or do you find one is better for some tricks while the other is better for a different set of tricks?

2) This ties into question 1... how tall are you?

3) I notice you like to use short crank arms, one of the bikes has 125mm crank arm correct? I'm curious why you like such short crank arms? Is it because of weight? Or because shorter arms get in the way less? Do you do any tricks on the pedals, like blenders for example? If so does having shorter crank arms help you with pedal style tricks?

4) What are the specs (like top tube, head tube angle, etc) on the voodoo frame you are planning on buying?
« Last Edit: October 08, 2019, 03:32:54 AM by aliasdck »

Offline Voodoo

• Hitchhiker
« Reply #3 on: October 08, 2019, 03:01:58 PM »
Looks sick bro!!

Thanks, man! I'm dying to get the Voodoo and build it. I'm curious how it responds while having the same, short, 12.1" rear end as the Tens.
But old school style and art? We live in a world of a thousand one color decals. Old school aesthetics win a thousand times over.

Offline Voodoo

• Hitchhiker
« Reply #4 on: October 08, 2019, 03:09:35 PM »
Nice! Your bikes are beautiful, especially the chrome one. Very very nice. And I really like this 'video' style bike check. I enjoyed watching.

I am curious about a couple of things:

1) Which of the two bikes do you prefer, the one with the shorter top tube or the one with the longer top tube? Or do you find one is better for some tricks while the other is better for a different set of tricks?

2) This ties into question 1... how tall are you?

3) I notice you like to use short crank arms, one of the bikes has 125mm crank arm correct? I'm curious why you like such short crank arms? Is it because of weight? Or because shorter arms get in the way less? Do you do any tricks on the pedals, like blenders for example? If so does having shorter crank arms help you with pedal style tricks?

4) What are the specs (like top tube, head tube angle, etc) on the voodoo frame you are planning on buying?

Thanks, man!

Legit questions!

The 17.9 Ten is great for hang fives and the like. However, the 18.8 is better for whiplashes / front wheel tricks where the rear end is working as a counter balance.

I'm just over 5' 8"...but my issue is that I have monkey arms. I'm built kinda' like a tall person. Lanky. So I'm real picky about frame setups.

Yes, the 17.9 has 125mm cranks and the 18.8 has 145mm cranks. Both are Profiles.
I like super short rear ends. Keeping short cranks keeps them out of the way. It also keeps me from clipping my feet on the front wheel when it's turned (while on the pedals with zero offset forks). Also, when on the pedals, I like that my feet are closer together. I seem to have more leverage.

The Voodoo that is coming is identical to these frames in every way...except the top tube is 19.3. So basically, I will have a small, medium and large version of the same frame.

I should also state that at the time I made the video, I was experimenting with my bars pushed way forward. I have brought them back quite a bit since then. They're about 84* (9* up from the top tube angle)..which is still really far forward for 2019...but it works for me.

The specs for all three frames are as follows -
  • TT: 17.9 - 18.8 - 19.3
  • CS: 12.1"
  • HA: 75 degrees
  • SA: 71 degrees
  • BB height: 12.2"
  • SO: 5.5"
« Last Edit: October 08, 2019, 03:25:42 PM by Voodoo »