Author Topic: Flatland tires in 2019  (Read 19443 times)

Offline aliasdck

• Cliffhanger
Flatland tires in 2019
« on: February 18, 2019, 12:10:57 AM »
I need some new tires but haven't bought any in a long time. I prefer tires in the 1.75 range. I've mostly used Odyssey Frequency Gs and KHE premium foldable tires.

I checked flatlandfuel and the KHE are out of stock but they do carry the Odyssey frequency Gs.

Before I place an order was just curious what everyone is using these days. I noticed the Ares A-Class tires seem popular but they recommend a rim between 22-25mm, mine measure around 32mm so I'm thinking not a good idea.

Weight is not a big deciding factor for me, just mostly want a good tire that won't wear out super quick.

Offline Timmer74

• Hitchhiker
Re: Flatland tires in 2019
« Reply #1 on: February 18, 2019, 08:36:08 AM »
ha! I was just on a plane flight thinking about tires and what everybody else rides and all that...

I love the Ares tires. However, they're pretty expensive and I tend to wear them down pretty quickly. Though, I have not tried the newer ones that are supposed to be longer lasting. For what it's worth, I was riding them on the Odyssey Hazard Lite rims and they did fine. However, you need to pay attention to the bead as you blow them up. I ruined a brand new tire (doh!) and nearly gave myself a heart attack when I pumped a tire up to 110+psi and it popped off the rim. That shredded the casing around the bead (these were the wire bead version).

I did ride the frequency Gs for a bit and when I would switch between the Ares and Odyssey, the Odyssey's felt so slow to me. But, some people find the Ares to be too quick too.

Right now, I'm riding the Box Hex tires and I really like them. While they're not cheap, they're not as expensive as the Ares and they're sold more places here in the states. But, they roll fast and feel pretty tacky on the ground (without the sluggish feeling I got from the Frequency G's). If you decide to try them there's a dude on BMX Museum selling a PAIR (20x1.75") for pretty much the same price as a single tire. I bought my first pair from him and he got them to me quickly...https://bmxmuseum.com/forsale/288393

I've wanted to check out the KHE's too but, yeah, they seem very hard to find (at least in the states). The Primo E-Comet looks interesting to me since my favorite time is when the tires are bald down the middle.

Anyway, I'll be curious to see what the other people on here say!
Tim

Offline Flatism®

• GF Inhabitant
    • Flatism
« Reply #2 on: February 18, 2019, 09:43:43 PM »
Seems there is not much choice these days...
Are DOM tyres no more...?
Flat-ism

Offline FlatSociety

• Company
  • Hitchhiker
    • FlatSociety
« Reply #3 on: February 19, 2019, 07:02:59 AM »
Dom Tires are still around. In fact, I just messaged Dom this week & he wants to release a  20 X 1.75 width. I told him that would be a super popular choice! If you need a pair, I have them. I got a bunch from Dom in a bulk order.

Offline Revig

• Cliffhanger
« Reply #4 on: February 19, 2019, 09:31:42 AM »
Dom Tires are still around. In fact, I just messaged Dom this week & he wants to release a  20 X 1.75 width. I told him that would be a super popular choice! If you need a pair, I have them. I got a bunch from Dom in a bulk order.

what? you said super popular? where are you living/riding?
Sorry no, popular size for flatland these days is 1.90, or more
(yeah, like 20 years ago  O0 )

Offline aliasdck

• Cliffhanger
« Reply #5 on: February 19, 2019, 07:11:26 PM »
Timmer74, now that you mention it my favorite time is when the tires are getting bald too. I actually really hate the first few days after installing new tires, balance and spinning just feel off until the tires get sufficiently worn in.

I figured skinner tires would be more popular these days? Maybe not. I've been running 1.75s for so long I've forgotten what a larger tire, like a 1.9, even feels like. Maybe I should give a larger tire a spin

Offline metalbmxer

• GF Inhabitant
« Reply #6 on: February 20, 2019, 05:56:39 AM »
Well Sean has a point that a larger size Dom tire would be more popular than the current size Dom tire (1.6 is it?) but yeah Revig is spot on saying that the 1.9 / bigger sizes are where a lot of the sales seem to be. I’m super happy with the 1.9 Ares btw. Can’t help but wonder how the 1.85 freq G’s would feel compared to them. Always like the tread profile of the 1.85 compared to the 1.75’s btw
Dax (now in LAS VEGAS as of July 2022)

Offline DaddyCool

• Deathtrucker
« Reply #7 on: February 20, 2019, 08:45:25 PM »
Hello,
KHE Mac 1 can still be bought directly from KHE (don't know about the shipping to other countries than Germany):https://www.khebikes.com/bmx-teile/reifen/khe-mac/659-khe-mac1-faltreifen-e6
I used these since they came out (I think in 2005). I remember coming from 1.85" they felt strange in the beginning and I needed several sessions to adapt. Later I tried a 1.85" Frequency G on a friends bike and it felt super slow! So I kept using narrow tires (lately DOM tires).Maybe I should give 1.9" another try because my riding changed over the years. Basically I ride sketchier today because of a lack of practise.So I would say the width that is good for you depends on your riding style, your tricks and personal preference. Just try it out...

Offline bmxelement90

• Backpacker
« Reply #8 on: February 20, 2019, 08:46:01 PM »
get with the times, 2.4 tires are where its at!!!!

nah i'm kidding, that's dumb. s&m makes flatland friendly tires as does tioga (streetblock, not powerblock)

Offline Flatism®

• GF Inhabitant
    • Flatism
« Reply #9 on: February 20, 2019, 08:55:58 PM »
I struggle to find 1.95 Streetblocks !?
Flat-ism

Offline CircleK

« Reply #10 on: February 21, 2019, 09:01:59 AM »
Colony make the Exon tire in 1.75. They are cheap and for me they were a nice tire to ride. They do wear a bit quicker than freq gs though I found but for the price against other tires they stack up

Offline aliasdck

• Cliffhanger
« Reply #11 on: February 22, 2019, 10:29:50 PM »
Thanks for tips guys. I ended up getting the frequency Gs but I think I'm also going to buy something different for my next set. The box hex tires look good as well as some of the DOMs.

I'll also check out those colony exon tires circlek mentioned. I could use a few cheap pairs of tires because one of my spots is too rough which wears tires too quick

Offline FlatSociety

• Company
  • Hitchhiker
    • FlatSociety
« Reply #12 on: February 23, 2019, 12:50:38 PM »
I'm currently riding the Box Tires in 1.75 & really like them. They have good grip & low rolling resistance & I run 120 psi in them.

Offline yoshi175

« Reply #13 on: February 26, 2019, 06:18:34 AM »
Currently riding MAXXIS Torch Folding Tires 1.75. These are the longest lasting tires I've used. I had the Primo E-comets, they are cheap, but for a reason, they don't last.

Offline aliasdck

• Cliffhanger
« Reply #14 on: May 08, 2019, 03:47:55 AM »
Grrr, the threads are starting to show on my front odyssey frequency g, so it's time for a new tires again. This is the quickest I've worn through a frequency g, in about 2 months. But it actually seems like the threads are showing quicker than they should, I think this tire was just from a sh*tty batch. I've even had a couple threads poking through the inside in two places, I had to line the inside of the tire with duct tape to prevent the tube from getting punctured by them. So I think this particular tire is just a sh*tty one.

I think I might give the area a class a try. I'm used to 1.75 but might go with 1.9 for a change.