Author Topic: different types of wheel lacing  (Read 2483 times)

Offline Hantise Auvrai

• Funky Chicken
different types of wheel lacing
« on: January 18, 2016, 08:43:36 PM »
Hi all! What kind of lacing 2-, 3-, 4-cross is horizontally rigid (not stronger)? Where can I find information?
Thanks)

Offline DaddyCool

• Deathtrucker
Re: different types of wheel lacing
« Reply #1 on: January 20, 2016, 09:16:08 AM »
Hi,
what do you mean by "horizontally rigid"? Do you mean that it is more rigid in terms of lateral forces in contrast to radial forces?
Many people say that radial lacing is stiffer in radial direction (but stresses the hub more and might cause problems here). So 2-cross goes a little more in that direction than 3-cross. In lateral direction I do not see so many differences. A hub with a big flange distance might improve this. But if you already have a hub and a rim, I think the lacing does not make a big difference for this.

Offline byke

• Backpacker
« Reply #2 on: January 20, 2016, 09:59:03 AM »
Personally I am a fan of the crows foot lacing on the drivers side, and radial on the non drivers side.
However this is from a flatland perspective, and I don't know if I would run this if I did street tricks or whopper stuff etc.

As for the front, 2X is my lacing of choice.

Offline Hantise Auvrai

• Funky Chicken
« Reply #3 on: January 23, 2016, 10:52:16 PM »
Thank you for your answers! Yes, I mean lateral forces on pumping, turbining trics.. I heard that cheaper spokes have less stretchability. It affects on stiffness and stresses like radial lacing (or less).. And do you think these matters in General have no significance for back wheel as for front?

Offline out~riding

• Global Team
  • GF Inhabitant
« Reply #4 on: January 26, 2016, 10:16:17 PM »
If your not pedaling hard it doesn't matter, you can use radial on the rear.

Radial lacing was used by many riders back when 48 spokes were normal, with 36 spokes the wheels do become weaker...