Author Topic: Piecing together a flatland-ish bike on the cheap  (Read 2431 times)

Offline Lyscii

Piecing together a flatland-ish bike on the cheap
« on: November 12, 2015, 07:26:31 AM »
I'm new to flatland, and don't have a bike yet. I've got a few expenses coming up that make buying a complete bike not an option at the moment, but I'd still love to ride soon. I have a frame and a parts bike that I think could be combined to make something usable. The frame is a Hoffman Rhythm from 2007-ish. It's got a 20" top tube, 74.5 HT angle, American BB, and I'm guessing weighs around 7lbs. The donor bike is a Poverty G-ride, which has a 180mm Poverty crankset, 44t sprocket, 16t freewheel, nice rear wheel with a Poverty hub and a pretty beefy looking Alex rim, a cheap front wheel with a single wall rim, a Mosh fork with some amount of offset, and unknown bars, stem, seatpost, saddle, and non-integrated 1 1/8" headset. Assuming I can get the BB out of the Poverty (There is a fair amount of corrosion), everything should transfer over without too much fuss. All I'd need would be a brake, a set of tires, new bearings for the BB, and pegs. I suppose none of the parts I have are ideal, but I'm hoping the resulting bike would be close enough to a flatland bike to get me going. Anyone think this sounds worthwhile?

I figure I can upgrade parts on it over time, and eventually end up with a completely new bike. Is there anything that would make sense to upgrade first?

Offline guarda

• Forkglider
Re: Piecing together a flatland-ish bike on the cheap
« Reply #1 on: November 12, 2015, 05:30:08 PM »
Can't help with the parts suggestion as I'm new again to flatland myself, but if the alternative is not riding, it's totally worthwhile. The last bike I rocked was about 35 pounds back in the 90's while my friend was on an MCS Styler (horrible geometry). I say build it and ride. I have some nice sets of pegs in both sizes. Give me your address and I'll send you a set if you're in the US. No charge.
Arthur

Offline Lyscii

Re: Piecing together a flatland-ish bike on the cheap
« Reply #2 on: November 12, 2015, 07:19:33 PM »
Really? Thanks! I'll stop by my work where I've got them stored, and pm you the sizes later today. I'll grab a few pics too.

Edit: So, the Poverty turned out to be a bust. Frozen seatpost, bearings stuck in the BB, both headset cups cracked, and the fork seems a bit mangled. Pretty much a set of wheels, stem, and very ugly looking bars is all that's usable. I remembered that I've got a pretty nice camera sitting around that I barely use, and selling it would get me enough to get me an entry level bike. Looks like I'll be getting something new after all.
« Last Edit: November 15, 2015, 02:24:47 PM by Lyscii »