Author Topic: Fixie flatland vs. BMX flatland  (Read 12521 times)

Offline The BYKE Project

• Company
  • Backpacker
  • THE BYKE PROJECT - Giving back through BMX.
    • Dunamis Media
Re: Fixie flatland vs. BMX flatland
« Reply #15 on: August 14, 2009, 04:46:45 PM »
How easy would it be for the average flat rider to become an instant fixie star????

ha, it could happen over night.  not that hard at all.

Offline griOt

• Team
  • Deathtrucker
« Reply #16 on: August 14, 2009, 05:45:59 PM »
yeah... my friend that owns a shop did a barspin on a fixed, and the kids were going wild  
:ph34r:

I really want to see some newer school flat on pegs . 100+ psi anything is possible. inspire those artistic cyclists...
the few, the proud, the flatlanders

Offline The BYKE Project

• Company
  • Backpacker
    • Dunamis Media
« Reply #17 on: August 14, 2009, 06:03:41 PM »
yeah... my friend that owns a shop did a barspin on a fixed, and the kids were going wild  
:ph34r:

I really want to see some newer school flat on pegs . 100+ psi anything is possible. inspire those artistic cyclists...

ha, barspin.  That seems to be one of the "big" tricks right now, with of course a 180 thrown in there or a bar spin off some stairs.  You know how kids usually want to see a wheelie rather than harder flatland tricks?  well, they get plenty of wheelies from fixie riders, and one handed ones at that.  All good though, just another form of freestyle on a different sized bike. 

that video above of the guy bustin out on the grannie bike is sick though.  I can get a couple of megasins without pegs, but he's throwing down on that thing with pegs.  funny.  But i can see the hard flatland stuff coming into the scene.  Just a matter of time. 

Offline griOt

• Team
  • Deathtrucker
« Reply #18 on: August 14, 2009, 06:23:06 PM »
i want to see a hang5 on a fixie, totally possible cuz i tried but harder...

Offline The BYKE Project

• Company
  • Backpacker
    • Dunamis Media
« Reply #19 on: August 14, 2009, 06:30:08 PM »

I did a hange five on Jim McKay's fixie this past weekend in Austin.  We put one of my pegs on it.  Not hard at all after a few tries.

Offline Ultraman Zoffy

• GF Inhabitant
« Reply #20 on: August 14, 2009, 06:46:52 PM »
It's actually not hard to find grandma bikes (mama charis) with pegs on them in Japan. They sell thread on pegs everywhere over there because people ride on the back of those things all the time (while sitting on a rear mount rack). We would screw around doing dork wheelies on those things all the time.
It cracks me up because here in the U.S. every bike shop will tell you that you can't carry people on a rear mount rack. And I guess you can't... in a country with overweight tendencies.  ^_^

Offline tod miller

• GF Inhabitant
  • ATX Crew, rollin' deep!
« Reply #21 on: August 14, 2009, 06:59:10 PM »
I watched a guy ride a spine ramp this last weekend on a fixie.  X-up fakies and 360's.  Well, the 360's were just on one side of the ramp...but you still have to give them props.  A guy here in San Marcos does handrails on a fixie, but then he has a BMX background and used to ride with Chase Hawk a lot.
"A puppet no more!"

Offline The BYKE Project

• Company
  • Backpacker
    • Dunamis Media
« Reply #22 on: August 14, 2009, 07:08:37 PM »
I watched a guy ride a spine ramp this last weekend on a fixie.  X-up fakies and 360's.  Well, the 360's were just on one side of the ramp...but you still have to give them props.  A guy here in San Marcos does handrails on a fixie, but then he has a BMX background and used to ride with Chase Hawk a lot.

yeah, the xup fakies are from AJ Austin from san marcos.  Eric Puckett from houston was the guy doing 360's.  And chase hawk is nothing but skillz.

Offline griOt

• Team
  • Deathtrucker
« Reply #23 on: August 14, 2009, 08:11:05 PM »

I did a hange five on Jim McKay's fixie this past weekend in Austin.  We put one of my pegs on it.  Not hard at all after a few tries.

word! i want to learn it too  :beer:

Offline ancientskool

• Deathtrucker
« Reply #24 on: August 14, 2009, 09:35:03 PM »
If you watch joe kid on a stingray. Bob Haro did not invent flatland. It came from another guy a friend of his who's father was a competitive Kunst cyclist in Europe. He just copied what his dad did on to his bmx. after watching that movie I'm even sure why Bob Haro gets as much credit as he does for inventing freestyle or flatland.

Because he was the first guy to really see the potential of bicycle trick riding as a BMX discipline, and not just a old circus performance routine using bikes enjoyed by a few highly skilled people who had the training passed down via family connection.

As the clip with Edison shows, bicycle trick riding has been around as long as bicycles have been around.   It took a young guy with a some talent, sales ability and vision to take that and create something new out of it.  That's why Bob Haro gets the credit.  No one had done precisely what he did before he did it.

Offline cmc

• Hitchhiker
« Reply #25 on: October 08, 2015, 06:33:18 PM »

I know this is an old topic, and fixies and FGFS are on the way out....

BUT, still.... Has anyone here pulled some solid tricks on a fixed gear?

« Last Edit: October 08, 2015, 06:36:01 PM by cmc »

Offline out~riding

• Global Team
  • GF Inhabitant
« Last Edit: October 09, 2015, 10:34:57 PM by out~riding »

Offline cmc

• Hitchhiker
« Reply #27 on: October 10, 2015, 02:12:48 AM »
Yeah, thanks! I recall that Trevor did a direct-drive/fixed gear hub on his 20".

But have any flatland pros/experts "crossed over" and done legit flatland runs on 26"/700c bikes to shows the FGFS scene how it's done!?   B)   

This is the closest I've come across, and it's in China:

https://vimeo.com/72974680

Yawer Beijing Fixed Gear Open 2013 flatland freestyle contest

And over on cruiserrevolution, there's flatland on a Volume Sledgehammer 26" BMX
http://cruiserrevolution.com/2012/01/24/taking-a-sledgehammer-to-the-flat-scene/
« Last Edit: October 10, 2015, 02:14:26 AM by cmc »