Author Topic: Any advantages to running larger tires?  (Read 4963 times)

Offline 89schwinnsting

• Backpacker
Any advantages to running larger tires?
« on: September 18, 2015, 04:53:23 AM »
Is there anyone out there that have switched from 1.75 to 2.0 and over? I tried a 2.2 size, but it wasn't high pressure and felt mushy. I did have a bit more control, though, and didn't have to reach my foot so far in to scuff. What are your experiences with larger tires?

Thanks for any feedback.

Offline freestylinkale

• Funky Chicken
Re: Any advantages to running larger tires?
« Reply #1 on: September 18, 2015, 05:44:00 AM »
I switched from 1.75 to 1.50. Love it!!! faster. makes slow parking lots manageable.  And the tires are half the price. 

Offline 89schwinnsting

• Backpacker
« Reply #2 on: September 18, 2015, 05:54:22 AM »
Smaller!? And other than primo comets, what tires are available in that size? And how long does the tire last when riding in parking lots?

Offline FlatSociety

• Company
  • Hitchhiker
    • FlatSociety
« Reply #3 on: September 18, 2015, 06:39:12 AM »
Narrower is usually better for flatland. Less rolling resistance & lighter rotational weight makes the bike much easier to maneuver & spin. I really like the Rubena Dom X Pro Tire (it's kevlar/foldable & extremely light) they wear well too. they come in 1.60 a nice happy medium to 1.75 & 1.50 tires. The're also lighter than the Primos.

Offline out~riding

• Global Team
  • GF Inhabitant
« Reply #4 on: September 18, 2015, 12:19:00 PM »
By the way, there are 2 versions of that Rubena Don tire, you always want to get the kevlar one that can hold high pressure.

Ares came out with the A-class 1.90 and some pro's are using it, like Viki Gomez loves them.

Other riders that like the "street style" have also adopted big street tires, I seen Kevin Nikulski riding Odyssey Hawk's and he spins very fast.

Offline MICHELE

• Cliffhanger
« Reply #5 on: September 18, 2015, 12:59:45 PM »

i was riding primo 1.50 then since a couple of years I switched to 1.95 tyres,
i find larger wheels a little bit slower but they give you more control

another important thing is (i don't know if i can explain it well),
they have ,more inclination options because being wider i find them easier to choose how much to inclinate the tyre when going in circles opposed to narrow tyre.
i find that with narrow tyre when you incline it it tend to do only very small circles opposed to a bigger tyre that make it easier to do also larger circles and not only tiny ones.
If I ever see a flat rider do a hop-to-wallride, my head would explode.

Offline 89schwinnsting

• Backpacker
« Reply #6 on: September 19, 2015, 05:04:24 AM »
Thanks so much for the input!  As a rider of short stature (I'm 5'5"), I am leaning towards a wider tire. With a 1.75, I have to reach my foot pretty far in to scuff the tire and it throws off my balance.

Offline DaddyCool

• Deathtrucker
« Reply #7 on: September 19, 2015, 12:01:26 PM »
Hi,
interesting topic!
I personnaly can not understand how Kevin can spin that fast with these tires. After switching from 1,85" tires to the KHE Mac 1 which are arount 1,6", it took me some time to get used to it. But after a while I liked the advantage of them that everything where the tire is rotated on the ground (getting into a mc circle, steamrollers and so on) feels so much easier. After some years I tried a friend's bike with 1,85" Frequency Gs and it felt super slow!
Some of the guys I met at the KTGM jam in Budapest last weekend told me that they like a little wider tires because it is more stable for rolling tricks (straight line rolling tricks). But they pump them up to 10 bar or more to compensate the highter resistance. Not all tires can handle this pressure.
So I think it depends on your preference but also on the kind of tricks you are doing.

Offline freestylinkale

• Funky Chicken
« Reply #8 on: September 19, 2015, 07:55:43 PM »
Ive been using Maxxis Gypsy tire 1.50.  Before that i was using hi pressure recumbent tires kenda kwest also 1.50.  Maxxis Gypsy have last a good 2 months so far. 

Offline johnu773

• GF Inhabitant
« Reply #9 on: September 25, 2015, 07:26:50 PM »
I just switched from 1.75 to 2.0 and like it but the tire pressure is a bit too low (la mesa tires from Haro) so I ordered up a set of S&M trackmarks in 1.75 (inflated width is closer to 1.90) and they can take 110psi.  I ran fit FAF's for a long time (those were 1.95 but actual width was about 1.85)
I like the stability and it was much easier to scuff (for me).
« Last Edit: September 25, 2015, 07:40:33 PM by johnu773 »