Author Topic: Playing with Colors - 3D Model  (Read 13858 times)

Offline ArcmanFab

Re: Playing with Colors - 3D Model
« Reply #15 on: August 15, 2015, 10:42:18 PM »
Thanks quixnet, wish I knew that before I painted it. 

Next time i'm going to powder or anodize.

Offline ortho

• Cliffhanger
« Reply #16 on: August 15, 2015, 10:56:24 PM »
You got any new pix to show how bad the spray paint looks now?

Offline ArcmanFab

« Reply #17 on: August 26, 2015, 08:36:38 AM »
Yo man sorry for late reply, Whoever mentioned embracing it's imperfections was right.  It's becoming sort of worth the paint. 

Although the wait for the paint was one of the worst parts, I don't think powder would take nearly as long as spray paint.  Just google to find some local powder dudes numbers and call them up.

Also, they sort of charge per part, frame being most expensive "I think since it's first he mentioned"

Stay tuned for some sort of update, i'll link it here and pm you to let you know I responded if you were curious.  Maybe i'll start filming over time and trow it all in a vid.  Also some powder shots will be nice if I get to them.

I'm just going to powder less parts (cranks, hubs, stem) same color and rest of bike just buy raw/black/chrome parts.  (combo of sexiness.) 

Thanks for whoever mentioned the cear plastic stuff.  I wouldn't think that would work.

Hmm, and whoever mentioned different kinds of base paints, guess an experiment couldn't hurt.

To sum it up, spray is worth it if you really want to play with colors and are broke at the moment.  Probably would make you appreciate it more when you afford to powder.

Other notes, I saw a vid where powder is harder to sand blast of metal than anodize fwiw, and powder can look perdy/ shiny just cost a little more to get the effects...

Oh and lastly, don't spray aluminum parts! ! ! ! ! chips right off. You can tell it's aluminum "my seatpost was only alum. part" bc/ it's much lighter feeling than the other steel parts.

YOOO

« Last Edit: August 26, 2015, 08:39:06 AM by ArcmanFab »

Offline ArcmanFab

« Reply #18 on: October 19, 2015, 02:57:03 PM »
BTW, those renderings were actually done in Rhinoceros 5.0 and V-ray for rhino.

To sum things up.  If you need a part painted and it's black, spraying is ok.  Any other color shows oil residue...

Now to save up for a BMX/ Flatland hybrid.  Until then I might just powder my frame and fork and run my old bars and a new seat and post.  This time I will go with more masculine/ plain colors since I might appear too old to play on my bike to some.    :ride:

Offline guarda

• Forkglider
« Reply #19 on: October 19, 2015, 07:13:03 PM »
Thanks quixnet, wish I knew that before I painted it. 

Next time i'm going to powder or anodize.

Can't argue with you there. Although it adds more weight than paint, I'm finding out powdercoating can be very durable. If you find a cool shop, they might be willing to throw your frame in during the next job. You can also order some cool colors from http://www.prismaticpowders.com/
« Last Edit: October 19, 2015, 07:15:20 PM by guarda »
Arthur

Offline ArcmanFab

« Reply #20 on: November 13, 2015, 04:46:36 PM »
Yep, ended up scrapping the spray job and got it powdered for a surprisingly cheap cost at a local powder company. One wanted twice as much as the other so it doesn't hurt to call around.

I also got a few new parts:  Éclat top load stem and more spacers, Primo pivotal seat, some seat pivotal post (cheapest one I could find), a new bottom bracket and a sexy Shadow inter lock chain.

I went with RAL 6003 (Olive Green) which I highly highly... highly recommend!  The paint is super durable and only scratching off on the front of my bars because i'm learning hitch hikers.  The powder guys painted over my bar tread too so the were slipping at first but I taped it off and sanded for a few minutes with I think 60 grit and now they grip.  Also, I used my old bars that came with the bike which I sawed half an inch off each side.

« Last Edit: November 13, 2015, 04:48:31 PM by ArcmanFab »

Offline FlatSociety

• Company
  • Hitchhiker
    • FlatSociety
« Reply #21 on: November 14, 2015, 10:46:47 AM »
Nice Lookin' Bike there...