Author Topic: Quality Rims  (Read 6554 times)

Offline Mr Rad

Quality Rims
« on: May 18, 2015, 10:04:05 AM »
Hi.  I'm 42.  I've owned one set of Skyway mags for about 1 year, then all I ever owned after that Was Peregrine HP48's Pros. I've been out of the game a long time.  Whats a great rim now? Strength is more important to me than weight.  Thanks.  Anthony.

Offline out~riding

• Global Team
  • GF Inhabitant
Re: Quality Rims
« Reply #1 on: May 18, 2015, 12:00:44 PM »
Hi Anthony, Peregrine HP were some of the best rims from back in the day, but rim technology has evolved immensely  over the last decade. Nowadays 99.9% of the companys only offer 36 spokes.

Have a look at the rims in the parts section - http://www.global-flat.com/parts/showPartsI.php?group_id=10&&order=11
there is just so many options available it's impossible to say which is best.

There are many rims that are made to be brakeless, so have that in mind if you use brakes.

Offline Revig

• Cliffhanger
« Reply #2 on: May 18, 2015, 01:23:29 PM »
there is just so many options available it's impossible to say which is best.

true!

about some of them:
Odyssey make some of the best options like 7K and Hazard.
GSport rims have a very good reputation.
Also there is still the good Rhynolite, with eyeleted holes, by Sun Rims

Offline Mr Rad

« Reply #3 on: May 18, 2015, 01:41:21 PM »
I've been looking at the GSPORT Ribcage.  Honestly..... I think I'm just going to buy a complete bike. Just building a set of rims, I'm spending 300 plus dollars, WITHOUT using the Profile ZCoaster.  I'm concerned that the S-Kill or the Darwin will be not as sturdy as I'd like.  I can't find a place to order a KHE Switch.... baring a hookup on the KHE, I have been eyeballing the St. Martin for about 2 years of wanting to get back into flatland.

Offline out~riding

• Global Team
  • GF Inhabitant
« Reply #4 on: May 18, 2015, 03:47:55 PM »
What bike/parts do you have at the moment?

Offline Mr Rad

« Reply #5 on: May 18, 2015, 11:35:49 PM »
None. Hah.  A friend of mine might be Hooking me up with a Succubus V2, if that happens I'll build off of that frame, but I'm starting from scratch either way.

Offline out~riding

• Global Team
  • GF Inhabitant
« Reply #6 on: May 19, 2015, 12:42:50 AM »
If you buy a complete you will find out that the quality of all the parts is not really the best and you will end up switching most of it in the end.

Building a brand new custom can also be expensive. If you want to save a bit choose some older parts that are on sale and look for some used parts as well.

Offline getzfafive

• Funky Chicken
« Reply #7 on: May 20, 2015, 06:45:07 PM »
Cinema 777 rims are really good.  I've been abusing them for 13 months and still in great shape.

Offline PSchoolen

• Company
  • GF Inhabitant
« Reply #8 on: May 21, 2015, 03:30:26 PM »
I've been looking at the GSPORT Ribcage.  Honestly..... I think I'm just going to buy a complete bike. Just building a set of rims, I'm spending 300 plus dollars, WITHOUT using the Profile ZCoaster.  I'm concerned that the S-Kill or the Darwin will be not as sturdy as I'd like.  I can't find a place to order a KHE Switch.... baring a hookup on the KHE, I have been eyeballing the St. Martin for about 2 years of wanting to get back into flatland.

At Flatlandfuel we sell the Ares S-Kill and the St Martin Darwin because they are very high quality and a good value. We no longer sell KHE because the opposite is true. Please keep that in mind.
Patrick Schoolen
www.flatlandfuel.com

Offline Mr Rad

« Reply #9 on: May 21, 2015, 04:07:59 PM »
Yeah Pat, I talked to you last week, this is Anthony.  I just picked up an Eastland bike for 100 bucks which will tide me over. I could not resist for a hundo, its like new.  Now I can take my time on a build.  Waiting to see if that Deco V2 comes through, then I'll go from there.  I've had my eye on a St. Martin for about 2 years, so I'll see how it goes. So KHE isn't very good hugh?  LoL. Ok... I will definitely be in touch with you one way or the other over the summer.  Most likely I'm going to part out a bike, so Im sure Ill have a few questions here and there. Until then, lets see if I don't kill myself getting back into it!

Offline out~riding

• Global Team
  • GF Inhabitant
« Reply #10 on: May 22, 2015, 06:16:54 PM »
Just to clear up the KHE quality comment,
KHE has always had an extensive line up of complete flatland bikes, from beginner to high end. In the last few years it has been cutting down the line and this year they only have 1 mid-range complete. (which I think is pretty good for an intermediate rider).

Offline PSchoolen

• Company
  • GF Inhabitant
« Reply #11 on: May 22, 2015, 06:50:08 PM »
Just to clear up the KHE quality comment,
KHE has always had an extensive line up of complete flatland bikes, from beginner to high end. In the last few years it has been cutting down the line and this year they only have 1 mid-range complete. (which I think is pretty good for an intermediate rider).

This used to be true but it is no longer. We bought last years version of the Switch and returned them all. Missing parts, switched parts from spec, F-Set that self destructed and overall very low quality construction. It was a $300 bike at best that KHE was pricing at $700+. I did not feel comfortable selling these to my customers and thus we dropped them.
Patrick Schoolen
www.flatlandfuel.com

Offline DaddyCool

• Deathtrucker
« Reply #12 on: May 22, 2015, 09:53:14 PM »
Hi,
interesting to read that. It is a pity in my opinion. Although some people criticised KHE for some bad and some good reasons, I appreciate their innovational strength. I hope they will stay in the market and solve their quality issues.