Author Topic: Introduce yourself  (Read 449874 times)

Offline Deca

Re: Introduce yourself
« Reply #1155 on: June 14, 2010, 09:55:51 PM »
Yo!  New to the forums, not new to the sport but still a beginner.

I started riding flat back in like 2005 or so.  I'd always been really interested when I'd see comps on tv or vids and stuff but kinda assumed it was just beyond my ability.  At one point I was just like "whatever, I can do this stuff," and just decided to get crackin.

I hadn't really ridden for a couple years but this summer I was just feelin' it and got back into it.  Been out every day that weather allows.  I used to post a lot on the pedal bmx forums but they're pretty barren these days, sadly.  It helps me keep myself motivated and stuff if I have a "daily riding" thread or something similar to just post what I've been up to in, get feedback from other people and not be afraid to ask stupid questions that have prolly been asked a thousand times.

As for my ride, it's a frankenbike basically.  It started as a Gary Fisher Rig back in the day, but through the help of a guy I met on pedal back in the day I acquired a KHE Messerschmitt frame, DK Signal crank, old Nankai freecoaster (that doesn't really work all that well) and new pegs.  It's only running a front brake and could probably use some maintenance all around, but I've been riding it and it's not falling apart.  I would like to have a fully flat dedicated bike, I can't help feeling like some tricks would be easier with less offset and smaller handlebars.  Would love to buy an Opsis but just don't have the money or job right now.

I've got some tricks down, and a lot sorta halfway there.  Fork glides and no handed fork glides, cyclones, dork wheelies, backwards steamrollers (with variations)...I may be forgetting some but I think that's pretty much everything I have really comfortable.  Sad I know given I started riding 5 years ago.  I still have trouble riding out of tailwhips even but I don't know if a rear brake would solve that problem :/

I've been working HARD on fire hydrants, which have been eluding me for longer than I can remember.  Squeakers are kinda in the same boat as that, though I haven't really been focusing on them lately.  Forward steamrollers, infinity glides, funky chickens, elbow glides, and megaspins (well at least 360s or so for now) are other things I've been working on.  My main focus at the moment has definitely been the fire hydrant.

Oh well that was probably too long of an intro post.  Hopefully I can learn some stuff here and maybe meet some people in the area to ride with.

Offline mwhite18

« Reply #1156 on: June 17, 2010, 11:44:04 PM »
Sup everyone? I'm a 25 y/o rider out of Delaware (small state in US for those who dont know ). I was always into riding (street,dirt,flat) since I was real young but shifted over to flat 99% of the time. With flatland I didnt have to worry about getting kicked off someones land or spending money I didnt have on ramps etc. Just went out the street and rode. 

I quit riding when I was 16/17..was more intrigued by partying,vehicles,and girls.. Got back on my bike about 2 years ago..got sick ..parked the bike until about 2 months ago and now Im better off to ride. Glad there is a forum like this because I dont know of anyone who does flat around here. My best friend rides wit me sometimes but he spends most of his time dirt jumping.

My bike is a 1999 Haro Master that im trying to slowly rebuild (thanks to flatlandfuel,ebay, and this sites classifieds section). 99er seat,primo tenderizer pedals,inertia bars,peregrine super pro 48 wheels, primo alum pegs,primo 23t sprocket, poverty cranks.  Heres a pic from earlier..i'm trying to learn steamrollers

Offline Mr.Jowee

• GF Inhabitant
« Reply #1157 on: June 18, 2010, 05:34:50 AM »
primo tenderizer pedals[/img]

Do yourself a favor; buy some plastic pedals. They last way longer than you may think, save a good bit of weight, aren't as deadly as metal pedals, and are pretty cheap.

Offline mwhite18

« Reply #1158 on: June 18, 2010, 07:35:06 AM »
primo tenderizer pedals[/img]

Do yourself a favor; buy some plastic pedals. They last way longer than you may think, save a good bit of weight, aren't as deadly as metal pedals, and are pretty cheap.
Thanks..yeah im going to order some wellgos from flatlandfuel next week. They have some on sale. I only bought those primos because I thought they looked cool when I was 14.

Offline manida

« Reply #1159 on: June 24, 2010, 07:57:48 PM »
new here.

Im 33, I tried to ride flatland as a kid but pretty much gave up 20" bikes once I turned 16.  Just in the past 3-4 years Ive been collecting vintage BMX bikes and have rediscovered my love for flatland.  Im amazed at the level of tricks that even no-name kids are pulling these days.  Unreal.  While I'll never be able to compete with that, I think Im about to build a new-school ride.  STUFF IS PRICEY these days! 
As a kid I rode an 85 Diamondback Hot Streak.  Ive recently aquired a few of those as well as some other things, including my favorite bike from that era:  an 85 GT Pro Performer. Yeah, I was way into Martin Aparijo bitd.  Those bouncy tricks are just plain funny now, even though I still cant do much of what they did in the 80s!
Now, watching Kevin Jones videos makes me wanna climb back on and attempt to get rad. 

claim to fame:  Art Thomason is an old friend, Im truly inspired by his successes.

Bike suggestions for someone thats 33, 6'2" and 220 lbs???

Offline bransyeah

• Backpacker
« Reply #1160 on: June 26, 2010, 12:24:55 PM »
Hi everyone! My name is jorge from spain! I'm 22 and i ride since two years now but only taken it seriously this past year...

I ride a gaia frame built up from my old stylus.There is really no scene on my hometown so all i've really got are the videos from this forum!

If anyone needs a partner near Valencia just send a message!
"I find your lack of faith disturbing."

Offline deeve

• Hitchhiker
  • 90s cool.
« Reply #1161 on: June 29, 2010, 06:20:34 AM »
new here.

Im 33, I tried to ride flatland as a kid but pretty much gave up 20" bikes once I turned 16.  Just in the past 3-4 years Ive been collecting vintage BMX bikes and have rediscovered my love for flatland.  Im amazed at the level of tricks that even no-name kids are pulling these days.  Unreal.  While I'll never be able to compete with that, I think Im about to build a new-school ride.  STUFF IS PRICEY these days! 
As a kid I rode an 85 Diamondback Hot Streak.  Ive recently aquired a few of those as well as some other things, including my favorite bike from that era:  an 85 GT Pro Performer. Yeah, I was way into Martin Aparijo bitd.  Those bouncy tricks are just plain funny now, even though I still cant do much of what they did in the 80s!
Now, watching Kevin Jones videos makes me wanna climb back on and attempt to get rad. 

claim to fame:  Art Thomason is an old friend, Im truly inspired by his successes.

Bike suggestions for someone thats 33, 6'2" and 220 lbs???

Welcome to the forum Manida.

I wouldnt worry too much about the size of the frame. I just got back into flatland and I bought myself a 99 GT performer for $75. I rode it for about a week and decided it was too much of a tank and I needed a smaller lighter bike for flatland.

I bought my current Quamen G4 complete for $300 and it is amazing. It is a lot smaller than the GT but it is so much more agile and flickable. Find yourself a nice used flatland specific complete and ride.

Old School N00b

Offline finalorbit

• Sax's Final Obit - A Flatland Film
« Reply #1162 on: June 30, 2010, 01:39:30 AM »
Hey all,

Name is Gregory and I don't ride but I'm a HUGE flatland fan.  A while back ago, I directed a 35mm fiction short film that revolved around flatland called, "Sax's Final Orbit" featuring the riding of Jesse Puente and Day Smith. 

I'm gearing up to try (again) to have a feature version produced, so I want to get to know the community again. Would love to pick the brains of you riders, get your input and ideas. Will keep you up-to-date when I get my website up (hopefully by next week).

Anyway, I think of all the "extreme" sports flatland is the most creative and poetic. It's incredibly underrated and I really hope I can be a part of helping the world see how special it is what you guys do. 

Please keep riding.

G.

Offline Mr.Jowee

• GF Inhabitant
« Reply #1163 on: June 30, 2010, 05:15:48 AM »
Hey all,

Name is Gregory and I don't ride but I'm a HUGE flatland fan.  A while back ago, I directed a 35mm fiction short film that revolved around flatland called, "Sax's Final Orbit" featuring the riding of Jesse Puente and Day Smith. 

!

I remember that. Is it available anywhere for download or even on DVD?

Offline jenierga

« Reply #1164 on: June 30, 2010, 10:17:39 AM »
Name: JD
Riding since: Just started
Bike: opsis 010

Just ordered my bike and waiting to start. I was supposed to start at 17 but due to a car accident it put me off everything for awhile. Pretty excited to get out there and start riding. I've always been interested in flat, and skated for awhile. Now that I have the cash to get a bike I went ahead and did it. Already been watching a ton of videos and got the Ground rules dvd.

You cannot be able to have a ride because of your injuries during the car accident. I also want to have my own bike and ride on it. You should master how to drive a bike carefully to avoid another car accident.

Offline notrickpony

« Reply #1165 on: July 02, 2010, 04:07:41 AM »
As my username implies......

So I am 33, and always LOVED watching flat....like hypnotized when it was on the xgames.
NEVER had a BMX, always had a hand me down whatever (girls stingray, mountain bike, garbage day dad fix up...you get the idea), and just started getting back into bikes (balloon tire 50's bike) and figured why the heck not flat?

My wife? she thinks I am nuts (but supports the idea kinda...lol).  My almost 2 year old LOVES seeing me on a bicycle.  My friends are going in two directions.  First being "awesome", or "reinventing yourself, that is cool" or second, "you are crazy", "you are gonna get hurt" and so on.

I am thinking new bike that is "right" for flatland, but at the same time, I need to know that I will like it enough and that I am not too old to try something COMPLETELY new.  But still deciding on a craigslist BMX and some specific parts to learn or new bike that will be more of an investment.

Either way, I got on my friends borrowed BMX and it kinda motivated me to learn/try even harder.  Maybe I am crazy.

Offline helenk579

« Reply #1166 on: July 05, 2010, 11:01:13 AM »

Hi, I am a new member of forum. Would a newcomer be warmly welcome here? Good day you guys!!!

Offline fatninja

• Forkglider
« Reply #1167 on: July 12, 2010, 01:39:07 PM »
you should consider a DK opsis for your first bike if you don't know too much yet. It's a complete bike and afford ably priced around 350.

Offline flurrrs

« Reply #1168 on: July 14, 2010, 08:30:15 PM »
Hi all! I'm new to the forum and just started back riding. I tried to ride flat when I was like 13. And I'm still about as bad at 33! But it is still fun. I feel like I'm learning to ride a bike again. I can't really bust anything yet. I'm gonna go nuts when I do! I've been working on fork glides, fire hydrant, and manual. Alot of you have already started helping me on these. I'm so glad I found this forum.

Offline blïx

« Reply #1169 on: July 17, 2010, 10:06:34 AM »
wats up everyone, Total noob here, just recently came across this forum site when I was distracted from going to sleep. Names Keith, I just turned 20years old the 4th, moved to columbus,ohio from the panhandle last year to pursue my career as a photographer.

I remember seeing some videos on youtube about flatland and I absolutely loved it, thought of it as breakdancing on a bike but way more extreme, and I wanted to turn this into my next hobby because all I do is sit at home on the computer..lame. So I just put my brothers bike (what i think is a mongoose) back together and I was told I should start out with the simple basics I will post a picture of what I am using later, peace

Heres the bike I ride:
« Last Edit: July 23, 2010, 11:15:57 AM by blïx »