Author Topic: St Martin X26 stem - problems  (Read 5387 times)

Offline dcochran4

• Hitchhiker
St Martin X26 stem - problems
« on: February 07, 2015, 05:22:50 AM »
I bought this stem in chrome from flatlandfuel a little over 2 months ago. I experienced a little slipping of my bars in the first month and following weeks, but nothing terribly major (I was used to bars slipping on me constantly in my very short lived street days) and I attributed most of the slippage to the glossy finish on my bars over the knurled area. After some sanding on the clear-coated clamping area, I saw a little improvement.

A week or so ago, when I disassembled my front end to install some new forks, I noticed that the two "U-bolts" were not parallel anymore. It looked like my compression bolt had squashed them a few degrees closer to one another. I don't torque the crap out of my compression fork bolt (this often puts pressure on the headset and inhibits the buttery smooth rotation we all seek in a front end), but it really seemed to have done a number on this stem. I figured it wouldn't be under warranty according to St Martin's policy, and I don't think this particular design of stem deserves another chance on my whip.

Just wanted to put the word out about issues I had with this part. I am now the proud owner of a 30mm Jungle Rider Hermit stem with no more issues in the front end. Anyone else have similar or different experiences with this same St Martin X26 stem?

Offline flat419

Re: St Martin X26 stem - problems
« Reply #1 on: February 08, 2015, 01:41:20 AM »
Why didn't you try a small piece of grip tape ?

Offline dcochran4

• Hitchhiker
« Reply #2 on: February 08, 2015, 06:05:04 AM »
I didn't think about that at the time. I have heard of riders using masking tape and stuff of that sort. My main concern with the stem now is the u-bolts aren't parallel anymore, pretty much totaling the stem. Thanks for the suggestion though, I will have to remember that next time I have problems with the bars slipping.

Offline byke

• Backpacker
« Reply #3 on: February 08, 2015, 09:52:16 AM »
This type of design relies on tolerances being absolutely perfect.
Not just for the stem, but the bar, the fork and maybe as far as the headset and head tube of the frame.

And because of this, it can lead to incompatibility issues, and this is why every once in a while there is a thread about a compression stem not working properly.

Then you need to look at the amount of material used in this design, And if the stem has warped or twisted then it should give you a good indication that there is something significantly wrong.

I personally tried compression stems about 10 years ago, and came to the conclusion that I didnt like the forces that my other parts became subjected too. But to each their own.
« Last Edit: February 08, 2015, 09:53:52 AM by byke »

Offline FlatlandBilly

• Hitchhiker
« Reply #4 on: February 09, 2015, 11:51:31 AM »
Ive got the same Stem and have been riding it for 2-3 years i think. Apart from being a bit anoying to mount I havent had any issues. Do you have your top bolt really tight or something?

Billy

Offline flat419

« Reply #5 on: February 09, 2015, 05:17:35 PM »
I am having to run this style of stem (currently using this ;

http://www.global-flat.com/parts/part/431

Unfortunately I can not run a normal stem on my St. Martin A.J. forks...which sucks. 

Offline dcochran4

• Hitchhiker
« Reply #6 on: February 10, 2015, 02:28:20 AM »
After giving this stem a go, I think i can come to the same conclusions as byke has about compression stems. I was having several problem with the front end, and this stem was just one of the contributors. Stems with really small offset are more difficult to come by these days (kind of like zero offset forks with steerer tubes longer than 160mm) especially ones not with the same principle of design as this one and the Redneck FLT, etc.

Offline locky

• Backpacker
« Reply #7 on: February 22, 2015, 01:43:48 AM »
My problem with this stem was 3 years ago when i had one i totally split the sh*t out of my knee.
To the point of being able to see my knee cap...lucky i had my toolbox in the van and gaffer taped it all up..

But yeah i did experience some slipping, but i chucked it after the knee incident

Offline dcochran4

• Hitchhiker
« Reply #8 on: February 22, 2015, 06:18:09 AM »
Dang! I bet that put you out of commission for a while. There are definitely some sharper-than-safe edges on that stem. What stem do you run now?

Offline locky

• Backpacker
« Reply #9 on: February 22, 2015, 10:23:58 AM »
Yeah happened right before Christmas holidays, was pissed becuase that would normal be good riding time off work.... I went to Canada bikeless for a month to let it heal.

I just picked up a flatware stem after that... I've got zero offset forks so minimal as possible, without being stupid.

Offline dcochran4

• Hitchhiker
« Reply #10 on: February 24, 2015, 03:54:46 PM »
What offset is the flatware stem? I haven't seen any on the market in several months at least

Offline flat419

« Reply #11 on: February 24, 2015, 08:09:54 PM »
What offset is the flatware stem? I haven't seen any on the market in several months at least

I have 1 if your interested

Offline locky

• Backpacker
« Reply #12 on: February 24, 2015, 11:46:20 PM »
http://flatlandfuel.com/odysseyflatwarestem.aspx

26mm - out of stock, and i think they wont be any made anymore... there could be one floating round, at danscomp or  kunstform, or one of the Indonesian stores.... or pick up a second hand one