Author Topic: Tire size. Wide or slim?  (Read 5248 times)

Offline chromoly

• Forkglider
Tire size. Wide or slim?
« on: December 26, 2014, 12:39:28 PM »
At the Moment im trying out different tyres. 2,4" front and 1,5" on the backtyre. Both feel strange, the one to wide and the other too slim. Maybe something around 2" would be cool? Im curious on what size would you guys prefer and recommend?
Cheers and marry Christmas!

Offline out~riding

• Global Team
  • GF Inhabitant
Re: Tire size. Wide or slim?
« Reply #1 on: December 27, 2014, 01:57:58 PM »
The standard size nowadays is 1.75 but it all depends on the type of riding you do.

The wider the tire is more surface friction, so it grips more and is good for scuffing but it's also slower rolling.

If you like a fast rolling style a thinner tire will roll much smoother and faster but it's also easier to slip.

Offline 89schwinnsting

• Backpacker
« Reply #2 on: December 27, 2014, 02:26:30 PM »
I've tried wide tires, but they spun very slow when compared to a 1.75 tire. I would stick with no larger than a 1.95 myself.

Offline DaddyCool

• Deathtrucker
« Reply #3 on: December 27, 2014, 05:16:19 PM »
Hi,
after the Peregrine HP tires (around 1.7") in the 90s I tried Primo V-Monsters (1.95") later which I liked for scuffing tricks. From around 2000 I used KHE Lamellos (1.85") for years and when they came out I switched to the KHE Mac 1 tires which felt crazy narrow at the beginning (they are actually around 1.6"). Pinky squeaks felt very strange. After getting used to it I tried a friends bike with Frequency Gs in 1.85" and they seemed super slow even for (switch handed) steam rollers! So I realised the advantages of the narrow KHE tires only later. I am trying to do more modern tricks today, including turbines and more spinning tricks and this stuff is much better with narrow tires (1.75" or less) in my opinion. By the way I could not imagine to ride a 2.4" tire which will weigh around 700 g I guess. Lower weight on the tires improves the feeling of the bike more than any other light parts in my opinion.
So my personal suggestion would be 1.85" if you want something wider. But of course it depends on the tricks...
Please keep us updated on your experiences!
Thanks.

Offline Hantise Auvrai

• Funky Chicken
« Reply #4 on: December 27, 2014, 09:31:51 PM »

I've tried Schwalbe Kojak 1.35, on back wheel and front. Looks nicely, light weight, thus good grip. Certainly it wear down too fast even on turbins. By the way, on turbins it throws to side intensively, so you must put more force. After that frequencys 1.75 feels like 2.25) Now I'm riding Maxxis Torch 1.75 silkworm. Seems it inflates to 1.85 on 9 bars and roll slower than Odyssey, but have better puncture proof.

Offline chromoly

• Forkglider
« Reply #5 on: December 29, 2014, 08:11:07 PM »
Thanks for your viewpoint! I dont get comfortable with slim ones right now, feels to me like riding on a blade. But im definitely curious on how it will be next time with wider tires again..and they will be wide..

Offline MICHELE

• Cliffhanger
« Reply #6 on: January 16, 2015, 09:00:17 PM »
I think the best size is 1.95 very stable for rolling tricks but you can also turbine.
it feels a bit slow at the beginning if you come from 1.75 tires but you can adapt easily.
If I ever see a flat rider do a hop-to-wallride, my head would explode.

Offline flat419

« Reply #7 on: January 17, 2015, 05:17:34 AM »

I've tried Schwalbe Kojak 1.35, on back wheel and front. Looks nicely, light weight, thus good grip. Certainly it wear down too fast even on turbins. By the way, on turbins it throws to side intensively, so you must put more force. After that frequencys 1.75 feels like 2.25) Now I'm riding Maxxis Torch 1.75 silkworm. Seems it inflates to 1.85 on 9 bars and roll slower than Odyssey, but have better puncture proof.

How is Kojak.tire in psi? 110+ ???

Offline metalbmxer

• GF Inhabitant
« Reply #8 on: January 18, 2015, 04:39:28 PM »
The biggest difference is the loss of speed with a larger tire imo

I think the 1.85 freq G is a great tire to start with

Personally I am a fan of the 1.5" primo comet which actually inflates to 1.75"
« Last Edit: January 18, 2015, 04:57:31 PM by metalbmxer »
Dax (now in LAS VEGAS as of July 2022)