Author Topic: How does a persons height affect the difficulty of flatland tricks?  (Read 7822 times)

Offline Charlie

I consider myself to be a short guy. 5"4, 140 lb. I'm just starting to get into flatland and I was wondering if anyone could shed some light on the advantages and disadvantages of being tall or short when it comes to learning and performing flatland tricks like the tail whip, infinity roll, hitch-hiker, time machine, etc.

Offline Flatism®

• GF Inhabitant
    • Flatism
Re: How does a persons height affect the difficulty of flatland tricks?
« Reply #1 on: October 15, 2014, 11:13:48 AM »
I feel there is no advantages and disadvantages. See: Trevor Meyer
Flat-ism

Offline HighLander

• Deathtrucker
« Reply #2 on: October 15, 2014, 04:25:40 PM »
You just got to find the right size frame for yourself. 
One Last Ride.

Offline K.Wong

• GF Inhabitant
« Reply #3 on: October 15, 2014, 06:16:33 PM »
highlander is right, its mostly about getting the right frame, parts and setup right for yourself/ particular style of riding. don't follow trends- straight down-tube frames, super high bars 2 pc bars, ultra light or super heavy frame...etc.
that said, with the exception of st. martin and a few Japanese brands, short frames (18.2" t.t and shorter) seem to be on the wane.
 i find frames with steeper seat tube angle (more than 71deg) helpful.

Offline Charlie

« Reply #4 on: October 15, 2014, 07:40:58 PM »
Well I’m glad to hear that because I was a little concerned about my height somehow making things a little more challenging and I do intend to get a shorter frame. Right now I’m looking to buy a complete flatland bike but I’ve checked flatlandfuel.com, dkbicycles.com, and some other sites and still haven’t found the right one. The DK Opsis, Ares APLUS, and St Martin Darwin seem like pretty solid bikes but their either out of stock or out of my price range. I’m only willing to spend around $300. You guys have any suggestions?

Offline drtaylor23

« Reply #5 on: October 16, 2014, 04:32:07 AM »
1. http://www.global-flat.com/mobile/shownews.php?ID=4272

2. I just started riding a couple of months ago.  I came in hoping to get a flat specific bike for $300 too.  Was bummed to find out the Opsis was dead because I thought I had it solved in like 30 mins.  Weeks later  I managed $400, but that took some work.  I didn't give up and managed to get another bike for less, but it needed work and I was able to sell the first local.  Dumb luck all around.  The bikes cost a lot for good reason as it turns out.  Between that and that this sport is so damned difficult (so far, also fun) it's easy to see why bikes are scarce.  Where are you?  There's a KGB complete in CO and a Fly something or other in VA on CL right now for $200 that would do the job.  Staring down $650 for an Ares plus shipping and putting it together only to find out you don't dig it might be worth a drive.

Offline 2flat2furious

• GF Inhabitant
« Reply #6 on: October 16, 2014, 07:46:34 AM »
see: Japan.

Offline Flatland-Cris

• Cliffhanger
« Reply #7 on: October 18, 2014, 02:48:34 AM »
Im 5,4 too man ive rode between 18:25 & 18:75 tt's and much perfer the 18:75 ull find being a short arse like myself 2pc bars just dont work for trying to get the leg over youl benafit from a slightly higher saddle so ur not as strech when u grab onto it, this is all personal experience from being 5 foot f*ck all mate
Keep it flat!

Offline Flatgod

• Backpacker
« Reply #8 on: October 18, 2014, 08:25:31 AM »
The general rule of thumb that I tend to follow is to allow myself ample room to fit over the frame on death trucks. Being 5' 6", I was never able to find a frame that was short enough to do this until just a few years ago, but I think I might have even shorter legs than most people at my height. Right now I'm riding an 18.25" top tube with a 12.5" back end.

Offline Charlie

« Reply #9 on: October 18, 2014, 08:04:46 PM »
I appreciate all the advice guys. It’s really helpful hearing about other people’s experience especially when they are “5 foot f*cks” like myself. Since I can’t seem to find any decent bikes for less than $650 I’m thinking about just saving up to buy the Ares APLUS. The top tube is 18.5" so that should be short enough for me. Everything else looks good too but I’m curious about the weight. This bike weighs 26lb. Not sure if that includes the weight of the pegs but that probably doesn't matter. What are your preferences when it comes to weight?

Offline Flatland-Cris

• Cliffhanger
« Reply #10 on: October 19, 2014, 01:38:41 AM »
Weights not as big a factory any more man if uve loads of cash you probably could get it down to 18/19 lbs, wheels will be the most noticeable weight change, you got a link to the bike or spec sheet?
Keep it flat!

Offline Charlie

« Reply #11 on: October 19, 2014, 03:26:53 AM »
Yea it’s gonna take a little while for me to save up for this bike but I’m willing to buy it if it does the job and I can’t find anything cheaper. Here’s the specs:

http://flatlandfuel.com/ares2013apluscompletebike.aspx

Offline Flatland-Cris

• Cliffhanger
« Reply #12 on: October 19, 2014, 07:23:05 PM »
Ripe the brakes off will be a tad lighter cut the excess seatpost n drill your pegs probably lighten it up abit looks a cool wee bike for the dosh!
Keep it flat!

Offline SurfonFlatland

• GF Inhabitant
The following is the truth.  The preceeding is a lie.

Offline K.Wong

• GF Inhabitant
« Reply #14 on: October 19, 2014, 11:38:34 PM »
the a-plus complete bike: if it uses the same frame as the aftermarket a-plus v.3 frame, its worth the asking price and going to be light after swapping out heavy and unnecessary components like: the gyro, related cables, cranks and pegs.

but I don't think it is.

on the Aresbmx. com website, the seat post angle on the 'pro' aftermarket frame is 73.5 deg, while the complete bike has a 72 deg seat tube angle, the head tube is 74.5 deg vs 75 deg, chainstay length is 12.8" vs 13.5".

plus the "pro" bike builted-up looks different from the a-plus complete, be wary.
« Last Edit: October 19, 2014, 11:50:11 PM by K.Wong »