Author Topic: Snapped axle on Primo Son of a bomb hub. Please help!  (Read 2974 times)

Offline mkmkmk

Snapped axle on Primo Son of a bomb hub. Please help!
« on: July 30, 2014, 07:37:03 PM »
Hello everyone. My name is Mazar. Some of you might remember me from this forum.

Anyways,  My axle snapped off recently and I'm wondering if there is some kind of easy solution to fix this probem. I'm really dying to ride right now. It's a sealed hub and im assuming a sealed front axle. The problem is I cant seem to get it out because I have nothing to hold on to on one side to unscrew it ? and I'm not too knowledgeable on this type of stuff.  I don't want to start banging on it with a hammer and ruin it.

I have a very basic tool kit. and I cant go about replacing the hub atm.

Any suggestions would be helpful. or If you want to buy the wheel for 100$ and fix it yourself. We can do that too.

This seems like a major headache. I might just end up buying a whole new front wheel.

« Last Edit: July 30, 2014, 07:39:05 PM by mkmkmk »

Offline stuntnuts

• Cliffhanger
Re: Snapped axle on Primo Son of a bomb hub. Please help!
« Reply #1 on: July 30, 2014, 08:19:36 PM »
The most basic of hand tools will get that out.

Offline DaddyCool

• Deathtrucker
« Reply #2 on: July 30, 2014, 10:54:57 PM »
Hey, you need to push one of the bearings out of the hub shell. Therefore you have to hammer on the axle carefully. If you only have a hammer you can remove the cone nut on the side which is still ok and then try to push the axle in the direction towards the broken side. The bearing should slide out of the hub shell and when it is completely removed, you can get out the axle. Then measure the distance of the small flanges on the axle which is equal to the distance of the inner end of the bearings when the axle and bearings are installed. Then buy an axle with that flange distance (preferably a Primo son of a bomb axle), put it inside the hub shell/the bearing which is still in the hub shell. Then you have to press in the secound bearing. Therefore place it over the axle and slide it towards the hub shell. Then install both cone nuts and screw them against each other with two wrenches. The bearing is pressed into the hub shell while you screw the cone nuts. When you do that carefully you will see/fell when the bearing is fully pressed in. The axle should have minimal axial play and everything is done.
Ok? I hope this helps.

Offline Revig

• Cliffhanger
« Reply #3 on: July 30, 2014, 11:20:13 PM »
best solution for you is to contact the shop where you bought the wheel and talk about getting out the axle and about buying a new axle.
If you didn't buy the wheel from a shop, let's do it differently:

DaddyCool instructions have to be followed, and here are videos moments about that if you need images too:

In your case, to remove the axle: watch that video from 2'35 until 3'02
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MbaQzCmNAnM

To install the new axle, watch the same video from 9'59 until the end and watch after that second video: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4Uz9Jm9ASLQ

Offline mkmkmk

« Reply #4 on: July 31, 2014, 03:17:24 AM »
Hey, thanks a lot Daddycool,  revig and stuntsnuts(nice palindrome).

You guys really saved my life. It seems a lot easier to do then I thought. I don't know why I was so worried about it. I just didn't want to mess with it and make the problem worse. but Really thanks a lot. Thanks for taking the time to help me out. Really appreciate it.

I'm going to order the Primo SOB axle kit from flatlandfuel. and replace it.

CHEERS!