Author Topic: pedal hang 5  (Read 4372 times)

Offline Oneal Little

pedal hang 5
« on: June 23, 2014, 05:00:25 AM »
   Any tips on learning hang 5's from the pedal?

Offline 2flat2furious

• GF Inhabitant
Re: pedal hang 5
« Reply #1 on: June 23, 2014, 07:34:58 PM »
I would use one foot on the peg and one on the pedal, and use the peg foot to pull yourself up like you would in a regular hang 5. The only catch is that you're going to be using your opposite foot to do the top as opposed to the one on the pedal, if that makes sense.

Offline DaddyCool

• Deathtrucker
« Reply #2 on: June 23, 2014, 11:09:27 PM »
TJ, do you mean to have the "normal hang five foot" on the pedal and use the other one on the peg do push the bike up in the hang five position?
I tried to do a "opposite hang five" (meaning with the weaker foot on the peg) and then putting the stronger foot on the pedal and trying to put the weight on this foot/lifting the weak one from the peg/stand up from the seat. To be honest I could not roll longer than 2 m, but I doubt that there is a better technique to practise it, it is just my lack of ability...
Did you learn them the way you described it?

Offline 2flat2furious

• GF Inhabitant
« Reply #3 on: June 24, 2014, 03:18:37 AM »
Well I learned pedal hang 5s from pinkie squeaks and then just jumping up and scuffing forward. My natural foot on the peg is my right foot, so for pedal hang 5s i put my right foot on the pedal, and the left on the peg.

Offline MICHELE

• Cliffhanger
« Reply #4 on: June 24, 2014, 12:49:36 PM »
a useful thing is to keep the knee back near the seat you can even lay it against the seat for better control, don't stay near the bar with your body it is much less controllable.
If I ever see a flat rider do a hop-to-wallride, my head would explode.

Offline Oneal Little

« Reply #5 on: June 25, 2014, 12:09:22 AM »
 Thanx for the replies. I tried the peg thing a bit yesterday but i really want to do them straight from the pedal just looks better in my mind. I tried pulling a few up like a nose manual then taking the foot off. I think I'm on the right track.thanx michele ,makes sense.i'm gonna keep working on these.Any input is much appreciated.

Offline 2flat2furious

• GF Inhabitant
« Reply #6 on: June 25, 2014, 01:48:00 AM »
You can learn them straight up from the pedal, but you have to learn the balance point either way.

Offline cj

• Cliffhanger
  • formless
    • sandmbikes.com
« Reply #7 on: June 25, 2014, 04:02:10 PM »
instagram.com/intrikatbmx

Offline DaddyCool

• Deathtrucker
« Reply #8 on: June 28, 2014, 11:38:23 AM »
Chad, thanks for the video.
For those who can do it: How look did you practise it? To be honest this trick seems super hard for me, even after many years of riding. Maybe it just depends on what type of tricks you learned before or what kind of rider you are, but when Chad does them it looks so easy and nice... Damn! :)

Offline Oneal Little

« Reply #9 on: June 30, 2014, 10:02:53 PM »
 Wow one of my fav riders responded.Thanks. If i can't learn these with this video and dedication i have no excuses. I found the balance piont by accident a few times yesterday. Still couldn't keep it more than 5 ft. Lots of work to do.

Offline cj

• Cliffhanger
  • formless
    • sandmbikes.com
« Reply #10 on: June 30, 2014, 11:37:46 PM »
my pleasure! That's rad you found the balance point, 5 feet is a great start. Now that you've had a taste of the sweet spot, you will remember it. Baby steps work good for this trick because besides balance, it also requires muscle conditioning. It's more physical than regular Hang-5s, so to hold it as long may take weeks of work. Just try and make small steps of progress on the regular and by the end of the month, you'll notice a big difference. Stoked for you man! ride on.
instagram.com/intrikatbmx