Author Topic: Dax Wolford Reklamation Bikes Review and Bike Check!  (Read 8219 times)

Offline Jake4130

• Deathtrucker
    • Fameuse Design
Dax Wolford Reklamation Bikes Review and Bike Check!
« on: June 05, 2014, 11:12:19 PM »
We recently sent Dax Wolford an SKJ frame to try out for us and see how he liked it and give us his thoughts. The result is the below review and bike check. Give it a read!

“After I met Rob Reilly (co­-owner of Reklamation) at the Trans Jam, he offered me the chance to ride one of his Reklamation SKJ frames. At the time, I was on a 19” v1 S&M Intrikat frame, but had been itching to build up my new Deco Terry Adams frame I won the week before. I built up my Deco and quite liked it. I consider myself one of the new school riders (­­no brakes, no scuffs, all pumping)­­ and was content to have one of the more trendy frames. Now don’t get me wrong, the Deco wasn’t bad at all and I liked the 1⁄2” longer top tube that it offered (19.5”). Plus, it was an upgrade from my dented and cracked S&M frame. Needless to say, a few days later I took Rob up on his offer just to see what was up with Reklamation and their new SKJ frames.”

“The Reklamation SKJ is essentially a modified Standard 250L street frame­­; just a shorter top tube (19” or 19.5”) and a slightly lower stand over height. Well you might ask, what am I doing buying a street frame? The point is that the 250 has been around for ages­­ and in a constant state of R&D and scrutiny. Take for example the tucked, non­-overlapping seat stays on the top tube (vs the overlapping junction on lots of other frames that is so prone to concentrated stress and cracking). Or consider the SKJ’s round bridges on the seat and chain stays (vs the Deco’s flat plate bridges). Also, the SKJ’s slightly larger OD down tube (1.5” vs 1.25”), forfeits the need for added gussets to redistribute stress. Check out the SKJ’s non-­ovalized top tube compared to the Intrikat’s uncomfortable, pointed landing pad. All these make the frame greater than the sum of its parts. This sort of frame building experience is invaluable when it comes to daily riding and the quirks of flatland.”

“Whereas the Deco is made in Taiwan and the S&M out in California, the Reklamation SKJ is handmade in Davenport, Iowa by Standard Bykes. It goes without saying that Standard has a legendary reputation in terms of quality and welding. But just to be certain of this claim, I double checked with a frame builder who has actually inspected the Intrikat at every weld and claims that Standard’s welds on the SKJ are a cut above S&M’s. Next, where I would pick the SKJ over the Deco is in the use of the premium air hardened OX Platinum tubing. But yes there is also the pride one feels of having a homegrown USA frame versus one shipped from overseas. Not that it matters, but it could make a difference to some. Finally, the icing on the cake being the SKJ’s color options and the way the translucent finish lets the welds shine through.”

“Once I built the SKJ up, I realized the Deco was missing something. There is something I refer to as the “pocket” on a flatland bike. It is the space behind the seat and above the back tire­­where your pelvis fits on cliffhangers. It feels good getting into on certain frames, but on low stand over frames (ie. the Deco) not so much. The pocket is where the SKJ shined. The modestly high stand over (7.75” vs the Deco’s 7”) creates a series of angles, which feels easier (with a low seat) to pop back and forth into the pocket, but yet more secure and locked­-in on pumping, turbining, or just cruising my favorite position.”

“What I like best about the frame though, is how sturdy it feels. The larger down tube adds stiffness to the frame. For someone who just learned whoppers and does hop 3’s like they’re nothing, this is a significant source of stress on the frame. Trusting in your bike and the peace of mind that comes with it can make or break the trick. For example, it was unsettling having to check my old Intrikat frame after every whopper for more cracking and hearing that dreaded “Ping!” on landings. Same lack of faith with the Deco: checking the plate bridges for cracks, which is a significant drawback for longevity. On the other hand, when I pull whoppers, hop 3’s, and jump from front to back pegs double footed, there isn’t a peep from the SKJ. That builds trust. The kind that matters when you’re attempting to pull your contest run. Or when your bike goes flying. Or at the end of a summer session with your good friends, when you’re riding your hardest.”

“Now, down to the nitty gritty specs. The SKJ frame has the geo you’re looking for. Responsive 75° head tube. Standard 71° seat tube. Top tube of 19” or 19.5” (nice for the 6 footers like myself). Stable and roomy 13.5” backend (perfect for my back wheel tricks). 14mm dropouts that fit the peg quite nicely. And finally, what I wanted to get to­­: the bottom bracket. At first I was skeptical of the 11 5⁄8 (11.625”) height. I had wanted something higher like 11.8 (both the Deco TA and Intrikat), but gotta say, the angle the down tube makes as it meets the head tube actually creates a nice bit of clearance. This helped with my half packers, and I am actually pulling more turbines than before. I must confess that the low bottom bracket and lack of gussets was a huge source of worry for me, but in the end they actually IMPROVED my riding.”

“I wholeheartedly recommend the SKJ to everyone. Especially since you can’t beat the $299 price, geometry, and strength of a frame made by Standard­­ guys who know what they are doing in the business. And while I’m at it, so do the boys at Reklamation. I simply couldn’t be more pleased with this frame. Thanks!”

Bike Check:
Frame: Reklamation Bikes SKJ 19.5” Guinness (Trans Black), Brakeless
Fork: Flatware 0 offset
Handlebars: London Bikes Queen Vic 9” (6 back, 2 up)
Barends: Armour Bikes Radar
Stem: S&M Enduro 36mm w/ hollow Shadow bolts (being replaced with Odyssey Lincoln 38 stem soon)
Fork Bolt: Tree
Headset: Kink w/ Quamen cap
Grips: Flatware Cufflinks
Griplocks: Drilled out Quamen Alumiendz
Brakes: None
Tires: Primo Comet 1.5”
Tubes: Regular (being replaced w/ Ares Light soon)
Pegs: ­Front Tree 1.5” (Grip taped) Rear Tree 1.75” (Grip taped)
Seatpost: Deco 135mm
Seat clamp: Integrated SKJ
Seat: Infinity Pivotal w/ Ti bolt (nose chopped off)
Chain adjustor: None
Chain: Odyssey Bluebird (being replaced with Odyssey Keychain soon)
Cranks: Flatware 160mm (w/ Ti bolt)
Chainring: Flatware 20t
Bottom Bracket: Hoffman bikes w/ FBM cone spacers (BB spacer removed)
Pedals: Monster PC sealed
Rims: F­ront Gsport Birdcage, Rrear ­Odyssey Aerospace 36
Front hub: Gsport Marmoset (w/ Armour Bikes Ti bolts)
Freecoaster: NYB B (14mm, w/ Armour Bikes Ti nuts)
Spokes: DT Swiss 14g
Nipples: Gsport Hex

Sponsors/shoutouts:
Yep, Reklamation Bikes flow team now (Frame), London Bikes flow (Bars), id Clothing
Kids, you only get one face in life - don't spend it on pavement

Offline FlatSociety

• Company
  • Hitchhiker
    • FlatSociety
Re: Dax Wolford Reklamation Bikes Review and Bike Check!
« Reply #1 on: June 06, 2014, 10:01:39 AM »
Great review Dax! It's always refreshing to read a really thought - out review. You can't go wrong with Ox Platinum tubing either.  B)

Offline getzfafive

• Funky Chicken
« Reply #2 on: June 06, 2014, 02:05:08 PM »
Good write up.  Those bars look pretty sick on the Rek frame.

Offline bhuffman

• GF Inhabitant
« Reply #3 on: June 06, 2014, 02:44:20 PM »
Great write up
You look like Marty McFly!

Offline metalbmxer

• GF Inhabitant
« Reply #4 on: June 07, 2014, 01:34:32 AM »
Cool guys thank you!

Quixnet: yeah Sean I used a lot of knowledge I had gleaned over the years to describe all the aspects of the frame I liked. And yeah I'm hoping that OX platinum lives up to the hype. This is my first time on a standard-made frame!

Getzfafive: yeah London Bikes is putting out a limited run batch of the 9" high, 6 back 2 up Queen Vic bars. They feel really solid and my first time running a 6 pc bar. Just came off the intrikat 2 pc bars once London started hooking me up.

bhuffman: right on Bryan thanks my fellow rider! What size is your reklamation?
Dax (now in LAS VEGAS as of July 2022)

Offline TRUTH1970

• Backpacker
« Reply #5 on: June 07, 2014, 07:36:25 AM »
wow! that's such a good write up, real helpful. i'll be moving onto another frame soon( 20.5" tt  intrikat too long for me) and 19.5" tt is my next choice .seen these frames wasn't sure about it but this frame is gonna be on my list now .

Offline metalbmxer

• GF Inhabitant
« Reply #6 on: June 07, 2014, 03:44:31 PM »
wow! that's such a good write up, real helpful. i'll be moving onto another frame soon( 20.5" tt  intrikat too long for me) and 19.5" tt is my next choice .seen these frames wasn't sure about it but this frame is gonna be on my list now .

Whoa no way Truth! Thanks for the compliments. Glad I could shed some light on your next frame!

Offline TRUTH1970

• Backpacker
« Reply #7 on: July 18, 2014, 01:56:51 PM »
just ordered a SKJ 19.5" PALE ALE BRAKELESS cant wait !

Offline metalbmxer

• GF Inhabitant
« Reply #8 on: July 25, 2014, 07:03:24 PM »
just ordered a SKJ 19.5" PALE ALE BRAKELESS cant wait !

Good stuff Truth! Always been a fan of the raw finish. Bike is gonna be dope for sure. Post some pics when you get her built up my friend!