Author Topic: Testing the Profile Free-coaster Cassette with Tyler Gilliard  (Read 14278 times)

Offline ortho

• Cliffhanger
Re: Testing the Profile Free-coaster Cassette with Tyler Gilliard
« Reply #15 on: December 06, 2013, 12:14:16 AM »
No you can't invoke the "go f*cking ride" clause so soon. The whining has only just begun!

Phatman

« Reply #16 on: December 06, 2013, 12:15:58 AM »
Got to agree with Wolverines! The More Freecoaster Choices The BETTER!! Also Profile is a BIG Company! O.K this isn't designed solely for Flatland but Hell they are going to offer a version with the 3/8ths Female "Race Axle" That is MASSIVE for Freecoasters a REAL Female Axle!! The Cassette Noise shouldn't really bother anyone for that matter ESPECIALLY Street Riders! After riding Street for a good 7 or 8 years I am more than used to Cassette Noise! I would imagine that noise is a good omen for damn near INSTANT Engagement! Hopefully it wont mean the it Engages during links if you don't treat it with the up-most respect!

Offline ortho

• Cliffhanger
« Reply #17 on: December 06, 2013, 12:32:39 AM »
I wonder if they're going to make the little clickers different sizes or densities so each click is a different tone sort of like a click siren. That'd be great!

EDIT: I may or may not like the clicks but it won't be the deciding factor whether I get this or not. Like Tyler said you can make it stop by setting the pedals back a smidge.

Offline wolverines

• Deathtrucker
« Reply #18 on: December 06, 2013, 01:47:39 AM »
No you can't invoke the "go f*cking ride" clause so soon. The whining has only just begun!

The f*ck i cant, and i just did...
=)

Offline Bri-jon

• Cliffhanger
« Reply #19 on: December 06, 2013, 01:48:46 AM »
hey Tyler you going to fu10 this year? I suck with names but very good with bikes and now seeing your bike I met you at fu9 last year in Toronto. I would LOVE to have a go on the hub if your there again?
"sh*t + talkers = stalkers lol"

Sold my bike to emigrate to Canada and still waiting for a Visa to work. Worst mistake EVER!

Offline ollie

• Backpacker
« Reply #20 on: December 06, 2013, 06:38:23 AM »
Yall are a bunch a winey ass bitches!

First you want more companies to make more freecoasters.....done....BIG CHECK MARK!

Second a reputable company supports flatland , and makes a product that has a sound that is notable on any bmx bike and you already complain about it (because god know why does it even f*cking matter when the majority of flatland bmx riders that come on here bitching seclude yourselves in your empty parking lots, not promoting flatland , with your $20+ noise canceling headphones on anyways) but want to bitch about a cassette noise.

Yall are a bunch of bitches really....go f*cking ride

Being a "winey ass bitch" takes us forward. It is called consumer preferences and Profile can get them from forums like these for free. I don't see how this is a bad thing so think twice and calm down!

Also it's pretty obvious that Profile's main target group is street riders. Yeah because there is a cassette option flatlanders would never use and there are a lots of freecoasters for street riding already therefore Profile had to step up. So Profile supporting flatland is only a side-effect.  I think street riders would love this stuff, the voice would turn out to be pretty cool on forward-to-fakie tricks I imagine.

We dont want a lots of freecoasters, we want a lots of good freecoasters. In my opinion Profile doesn't broaden the flatland freeacoaster's market much, it's not their main purpose and I have a hard time to see how it would be able to. Besides the noise you have to backpedal (even if only a little) to disengage the hub? I dont know what sh*tty freecoasters u r riding but thats pretty low even on my standards. I have a Nankai freecoaster, which is like 8 years old and i don't have to backpedal, not even a notch. So how this freecoaster is going to work better than an Ares Boo, NYB-Japan K, Taska Ufree or any street freecoasters?

On the sidenote I love Profile, their hubshell is working great on my Nankai hub and they are making the best cranks available. I have no bad feelings for them because this product is just not really a flatland thing, it's a streetcoasting stuff, it doesn't deserve much criticism on flatland. I just hope someday they can really support flat and make a real pure freecoaster with 10mm female axle, under 400gr with an affordable price tag and a freecoaster only mechanism.

« Reply #21 on: December 07, 2013, 05:27:14 AM »
Besides the noise you have to backpedal (even if only a little) to disengage the hub? I dont know what sh*tty freecoasters u r riding but thats pretty low even on my standards.

Um, as far as i recall, with every freecoaster you have to backpedal to disengage the hub to make it "free-coast"

Offline ollie

• Backpacker
« Reply #22 on: December 07, 2013, 06:38:10 PM »
Besides the noise you have to backpedal (even if only a little) to disengage the hub? I dont know what sh*tty freecoasters u r riding but thats pretty low even on my standards.

Um, as far as i recall, with every freecoaster you have to backpedal to disengage the hub to make it "free-coast"

You must be right. Although its not my experience in practice. I've had Taska, Haro and this Nankai hub and I've never paid any attention to disengage the hub. I just pedal forward and stop and its already disengaged. Maybe the smallest movement like 1mm disengages them and i just do it naturally... It certainly needs to be sensitive for hardcore backwheel flatland riding.
« Last Edit: December 24, 2013, 11:37:13 AM by ollie »

Offline xsjadorider

• Funky Chicken
« Reply #23 on: December 23, 2013, 04:02:35 AM »
i rode with tyler and dub yesterday! both of them killed it! but anyway the profile coaster looked sick and sounded solid!

Offline Midou Ban

• Hitchhiker
  • True style never shouts -> FLATLAND
« Reply #24 on: December 24, 2013, 03:26:05 AM »
release date???? MUST BUY FC
"Great power comes with a great electric bill"

Offline SurfonFlatland

• GF Inhabitant
« Reply #25 on: December 24, 2013, 08:57:25 AM »

Also it's pretty obvious that Profile's main target group is street riders. Yeah because there is a cassette option flatlanders would never use and there are a lots of freecoasters for street riding already therefore Profile had to step up. So Profile supporting flatland is only a side-effect.  I think street riders would love this stuff, the voice would turn out to be pretty cool on forward-to-fakie tricks I imagine.

We dont want a lots of freecoasters, we want a lots of good freecoasters. In my opinion Profile doesn't broaden the flatland freeacoaster's market much, it's not their main purpose and I have a hard time to see how it would be able to.

Street riding was the side effect of my design, Flatland was the priority especially since cassette hubs have almost always been lighter and much more reliable than freecoasters.  Also, the guys over at Profile created three slack options for the hub, with the smallest being almost instantaneous, and the largest being more than that of a geisha's largest slack setting.

Got to agree with Wolverines! The More Freecoaster Choices The BETTER!! Also Profile is a BIG Company! O.K this isn't designed solely for Flatland but Hell they are going to offer a version with the 3/8ths Female "Race Axle" That is MASSIVE for Freecoasters a REAL Female Axle!! The Cassette Noise shouldn't really bother anyone for that matter ESPECIALLY Street Riders! After riding Street for a good 7 or 8 years I am more than used to Cassette Noise! I would imagine that noise is a good omen for damn near INSTANT Engagement! Hopefully it wont mean the it Engages during links if you don't treat it with the up-most respect!

When the hub is engaged in cassette mode (click noise), it behaves just like a cassette, with "damn near INSTANT Engagement." 
Currently, it isn't engaging during links, but that's what testing is for - to find the faults. 

[/size]
[/size]
hey Tyler you going to fu10 this year? I suck with names but very good with bikes and now seeing your bike I met you at fu9 last year in Toronto. I would LOVE to have a go on the hub if your there again?

I plan to attend, and you would be more than welcome to try my bike out to feel the hub.

release date? ??? MUST BUY FC

Not sure quite yet.  Sooner than later would be best.  Once all possible kinks have been worked out of the hub and it is ready for production, the production ready batches will be sent out for testing to other riders for a final test run before hitting the market.  We want this hub to be the best hub available, so every measure is being taken.
« Last Edit: December 24, 2013, 09:07:38 AM by SurfonFlatland »
The following is the truth.  The preceeding is a lie.

Offline Midou Ban

• Hitchhiker
  • True style never shouts -> FLATLAND
« Reply #26 on: December 24, 2013, 09:57:08 AM »
no tentative dates???? because shipment here is limited

"Great power comes with a great electric bill"