Author Topic: Flatland advice: not totally useless?  (Read 7692 times)

Offline ortho

• Cliffhanger
Flatland advice: not totally useless?
« on: November 02, 2013, 10:02:21 PM »
You know what I hate? When I test out some new trick I'm just starting with and somebody pipes is about how I need to lean forward more or pop it left or whatever. Yeah thanks I know lol. How-to videos are usually not much better, basically only just telling you what's already obvious just by watching it. You just have to work out 99% of flatland on your own.

That being said, if you've been doing flatland awhile, you probably do have some interesting bit that you wish someone actually HAD explained to you somewhere along the line. Tell us!

The first thing I can think of is don't assume just because you're really working hard on some new trick that you are also making any progress at it. My body will repeat the mistake the exact same way until infinity if I don't stop and reassess the problem. You have to work it out and the sooner the better or you'll become consistently not ever able to get beyond that point. 

Offline ortho

• Cliffhanger
Re: Flatland advice: not totally useless?
« Reply #1 on: November 02, 2013, 10:10:46 PM »
The more difficult to explain or bizarre concepts get extra points.

Offline 2flat2furious

• GF Inhabitant
« Reply #2 on: November 03, 2013, 03:27:05 AM »
Throw out something specific and I'll give it a shot.

Offline ortho

• Cliffhanger
« Reply #3 on: November 03, 2013, 04:29:55 AM »
Like is there something you wished someone had told you back when you started, that would have helped?

Offline 2flat2furious

• GF Inhabitant
« Reply #4 on: November 03, 2013, 04:42:26 AM »
Don't ever think that because a pro rides a part that it will work for you. Set up your bike a way that feels comfortable and stick with it. Buying parts because they look cool is f*cking stupid. I wish someone told me that when I was 14-15. I wish someone beat that over my head immediately when I started.

Don't give up on a trick because you don't pull it within a day. Slow down and think about what you're doing wrong. Think about what it takes to keep balance in a position and put yourself in a place where that's more easily accessible of a position for you to be in.

Pros are not saints. They are people with vices and virtues just like anyone else. Admire their tricks, but do not revere them as gods among men. They're not. At all.

Take water with you when you go ride. Stretch. Put yourself in a good place and set goals before you ever get on your bike. You'll learn a lot faster.

Offline ortho

• Cliffhanger
« Reply #5 on: November 03, 2013, 04:29:56 PM »
Yeah nice. Set goals! Focus. Do you want to learn tricks or work on perfecting your bike, hangin with friends, or collecting all your old favorite bikes? You wanna keep all that in perspective because you honestly can't excel at all of those.

Offline ortho

• Cliffhanger
« Reply #6 on: November 03, 2013, 04:42:35 PM »
Lol, bring water. That's awesome advice. Also, in winter, bring some freakin Kleenex or you'll go home with snot-sleeve.

Phatman

« Reply #7 on: November 04, 2013, 12:19:56 AM »
I honestly couldn't agree more with TJ. The whole Parts thing, obviously you have to buy & experiment with Parts in the beginning to actually work out what you DO like!! But lets say a Frame, So & So Pro rides it, does sick tricks, you really like how it looks & its made by a good company etc, etc, etc... Then you look at the specs & say you've been riding a 19.5" Top Tube & this is 18.75" or All you have ridden is 74 Degree Head Tube Angles (Which ARE the best btw haha) & this ultra awesome Frame has a 75 Degree Head Tube Angle. I can almost guarantee you WILL hate it. Certain Parts specs should not be messed around with. You shouldn't do the "I'll just get used to it" crap because 99% of the time you WONT!

As for tricks, for a long, LONG time i used to get so f*cking STRESSED out with riding. Hang 5's drove me utterly insane! I knew i had to get them to learn further tricks & i think concentrating on getting to the other tricks totally put me off the Hang 5's again as TJ said.... Slow Down, Take Your Time! Concentrate on what you actually want to learn & not whats coming next.. Watch tutorial videos, hell just watch riding videos, study what the riders are doing. I have picked up so many things from watching other riders just ride. A LOT of tricks take forever to learn & when you get to linking them together! Jebus! I've known people take 8 months to get the link to exactly where they wanted it to be & have confidence they could pull it perfect 99% of the time.

Offline D

• Deathtrucker
« Reply #8 on: November 04, 2013, 10:56:40 PM »
The only thing I wish I'd realized earlier is to not get so stressed out about riding.  It's not like millions of dollars are on the line.  When I was younger I really, really, really wanted to be good at riding, and every day I wasn't at my best felt like a giant step back. I guess some of that drive is what led me to be somewhat successful, but getting pissed, screaming, throwing my bike….none of that helped at all.   

Offline jm

• GF Inhabitant
« Reply #9 on: November 04, 2013, 11:02:05 PM »
Practice tricks on both sides of the bike early on.

Offline ortho

• Cliffhanger
« Reply #10 on: November 04, 2013, 11:11:43 PM »
Yeah D, I've felt that shame before after a crappy session and I think it just totally comes with the territory in a precision kind of 'sport' like flatland and I had to learn to keep it in check. Some of it is justified, like when I'd set out to really work hard on something and came home realizing I had totally blown it off, or when I told myself to grab that fw hiker rideout and I still haven't done it… that kind of 'anger' at myself is a good thing. I don't slap myself in the face saying "stupid stupid!", but that might help.

Throwing your bike though, that's just poor self-control. I might not always stop it from nailing the ground, but when you throw your thing, ehhh I guess it's ok, just don't get mad if people snicker at you. I think screaming is ok, we should encourage screaming as long as it's not in the middle of someone else's link.

Offline Oneal Little

« Reply #11 on: November 05, 2013, 09:39:13 AM »
I think advice on the mechanics of trix are pretty useless however i do have a little advice. When you ride pay attention to the positions and movements that are comfortable to you naturally.ie the trix that make you smile when you do them. Relax. You are creating art.Concentrate on finding your  style on the deepest level. certain tricks will always elude you.One only needs so many colors to paint a picture.

Offline sir_teets

• Funky Chicken
« Reply #12 on: November 10, 2013, 02:52:45 AM »
Theres some really long flat plateaus in flatland. Usually when you get sick of it the next step finally comes into view.