Author Topic: Slippery floor  (Read 11515 times)

Offline FlatlandBilly

• Hitchhiker
Slippery floor
« on: October 30, 2013, 09:24:44 AM »
hey,

Winter is coming its already dark when i get home from work and Im going to start riding in a very slippery underground car park:/
I was wondering what i can do against it, ive heard of mopping coke on the ground does its work or are there any other ways ? thank you :)

Offline chromoly

• Forkglider
Re: Slippery floor
« Reply #1 on: October 30, 2013, 11:21:17 AM »
hey,

-same here, eaven yestarday i was struggling with the same problem  :beer:
Think the coke will be off the tires soon. The funny and strange thing is, that when the tire is totally wet, on my bike it works much better as when its just a little moist. (maybe because the dust and small gravel is washed off)
However, riding with slippery tires and low light is a good chance to improve balance and skills  :P

Maybe throwing some packs of sugar on the floor would help?!  >:D
« Last Edit: October 30, 2013, 11:24:18 AM by chromoly »

Offline metalbmxer

• GF Inhabitant
« Reply #2 on: October 31, 2013, 12:45:51 AM »
Use straight coke. Seriously do it. I used to ride in a parking garage with a slick top layer and it did wonders.
Dax (now in LAS VEGAS as of July 2022)

Offline rideflat43

• GF Inhabitant
« Reply #3 on: October 31, 2013, 03:23:50 AM »
Baking powder and water works also,but cokes gets everywhere and tires and then the
bottom of your shoes and I am cleaning out my garage soon so I can ride in there during
our rainy season and my surface of my garage is not slippery and okay for riding.

Offline FlatlandBilly

• Hitchhiker
« Reply #4 on: October 31, 2013, 09:05:49 AM »
Use straight coke. Seriously do it. I used to ride in a parking garage with a slick top layer and it did wonders.

Do you mop the coke on the floor then wait for it to dry ?

Offline metalbmxer

• GF Inhabitant
« Reply #5 on: October 31, 2013, 12:23:14 PM »

Do you mop the coke on the floor then wait for it to dry ?

Yep.
Dax (now in LAS VEGAS as of July 2022)

Offline Flatlandfuel

• Company
    • flatlandfuel
« Reply #6 on: November 05, 2013, 07:09:03 PM »
If you are going to do this method the best way is rather than mop, use a hand held pump garden sprayer ($10). Then use a clear sugared soda rather than coke. Your application will be easier and initially a little cleaner. Beware though that the sugar will attract dirt like crazy and you will have to regularly reapply. Eventually you will have a big mess that needs cleaned up. We used this method at Jomopro for a couple of events and it works great. But thats a 2 day event. On the slick floor of the flatlandfuel warehouse I clean it well and use soft compound frequency G tires and it works much better long term. So if you have a way to clean your floor try that instead.

Offline johnu773

• GF Inhabitant
« Reply #7 on: November 05, 2013, 08:01:00 PM »
inital surface cleanleness has a lot to do with it too.  Matt's warehouse has been cleaned so much that a very slight mopping with a small amount of coke does the trick.  our old warehouse was cleaned many times but was still very dirty with "built in dirt" from years of neglect and had to be mopped with much more frequency and bigger amounts of coke/water ratio.  if you use too much pop it will start to gum up on your tires and it gets really dirty to clean up (like pat mentioned)  try going light at 1st but whatever you do, make sure the surface is as clean as possible before putting the layer of pop on. it makes a big difference also

Offline locky

• Backpacker
« Reply #8 on: November 05, 2013, 10:01:18 PM »
I got a dusty spot too. Work garage. The boss would bring his boat in occassionaly to buff And it drys to this slippery powder all over the floor. I would mop and sweep 5 times before i could ride.
My normal ride routine consists of sweeping the area twice.
And only recently ive had to start useing coke. Works well.
I used to use sugar soap. Not as great.

Offline ortho

• Cliffhanger
« Reply #9 on: November 05, 2013, 10:24:38 PM »
I'd guess the underground car park doesn't have painted floors right? I did the coke floor thing on a painted floor once and rode my first trip around the spot and my tires pulled up chunks of paint everywhere. Whoops! Just thrown it out there.