Author Topic: martii/justin  (Read 27982 times)

Offline ortho

• Cliffhanger
Re: martii/justin
« Reply #60 on: November 02, 2013, 01:48:53 AM »
but i mean you go back and watch some of Justin's runs in contests, and it's unmistakeable, that guy won.

Offline Flatgod

• Backpacker
« Reply #61 on: November 02, 2013, 03:00:15 AM »
but i mean you go back and watch some of Justin's runs in contests, and it's unmistakeable, that guy won.

For sure, and this is part of my point. I saw at least a few times when Justin clearly should have placed first, but didn't because of incompetent judging. Why should he beat himself up over sh*t like this just because some guy doesn't know what he's doing? He was gauging his progress through the use of a badly warped measuring stick. 

Offline 2flat2furious

• GF Inhabitant
« Reply #62 on: November 02, 2013, 03:38:58 AM »
Contests placings to me were always arbitrary and are often times meaningless.

So the checks and cash they give out at contests don't hold any real value? If you get f*cked at a contest because of bad judging and lose out on thousands of dollars and don't get angry, something is wrong with you. Justin was using his contest money to pay for school if I remember correctly.

The really ironic thing about Justin and contests is that the dude never showed off what he could do. You know that jump to peg wheelie terry did for years? Justin pulled that within a few tries and then Terry went at it. Justin just walked away from that trick completely. He could do so much more than his runs. SO much more.

Offline K.Wong

• GF Inhabitant
« Reply #63 on: November 02, 2013, 11:51:45 AM »
^Such a waste... ^ That's why every year we have similar 'where are they now' topic, if we flatlander don't remember or commemorate our past flatland greats and those that inspired us, who will?
Its not like there is a hall of fame for flatlanders...

Offline D

• Deathtrucker
« Reply #64 on: November 02, 2013, 02:10:36 PM »
The problem is with riding on that kind of super high pro contest level takes a level of commitment that prevents someone from doing almost any other things in life, while simultaneuously not really earning you any money.  Once you reach the top of the hill theres nowhere to go but down, and theres always some super motivated 18 year old with plenty of time to replace you.  Meanwhile, you're riding hours and hours and hours a day for years on end just to continue to place top three in contests that wont even pay your mortgage for the month if you win.  I can see how that would get exhausting.

Offline wolverines

• Deathtrucker
« Reply #65 on: November 02, 2013, 02:52:56 PM »

So the checks and cash they give out at contests don't hold any real value? If you get f*cked at a contest because of bad judging and lose out on thousands of dollars and don't get angry, something is wrong with you. Justin was using his contest money to pay for school if I remember correctly.

The really ironic thing about Justin and contests is that the dude never showed off what he could do. You know that jump to peg wheelie terry did for years? Justin pulled that within a few tries and then Terry went at it. Justin just walked away from that trick completely. He could do so much more than his runs. SO much more.

This was at the battle at the beach comp?

Offline 2flat2furious

• GF Inhabitant
« Reply #66 on: November 02, 2013, 03:27:08 PM »

This was at the battle at the beach comp?

Yeah It was the one where I filmed Terry doing that ride out the day he learned it at the end of a Katrina combo. He wasn't the first to do it, Justin was.

Offline Flatgod

• Backpacker
« Reply #67 on: November 03, 2013, 04:06:57 AM »

Most pros don't show off everything they can do because there is not enough time at contests to show people everything. Some of them know so much that they couldn't show you everything if they had a month to do it. They have to pick and choose what they are going to be more consistent at.

Of course you should get angry at garbage judging, but I wasn't referring to the money itself. I was referring to the way Justin took the results as some type of measure of personal progress. My question here is: was he getting more pissed off about the money or was it just the placing themselves?

Offline Flatgod

• Backpacker
« Reply #68 on: November 03, 2013, 04:15:55 AM »
Yeah It was the one where I filmed Terry doing that ride out the day he learned it at the end of a Katrina combo. He wasn't the first to do it, Justin was.

What does this even have to do with what we're talking about? Besides, I already heard about this. From what I heard Justin was getting pissed off at Terry because Terry started doing it with greater ease and consistency. After a short while Justin decided to forget about it. Of course your take in it might be different, but I don't really care about this in particular anyway.

Offline 2flat2furious

• GF Inhabitant
« Reply #69 on: November 03, 2013, 04:37:40 AM »
Of course you should get angry at garbage judging, but I wasn't referring to the money itself. I was referring to the way Justin took the results as some type of measure of personal progress. My question here is: was he getting more pissed off about the money or was it just the placing themselves?

What business is it of yours? If Justin looked at contest placings as a way to measure progression, what does that have to do with you?

As for the Terry trick.. well, think whatever you want. If Justin wants to dial something in, Justin will dial it in. Nobody was as dialed on the same level as Justin. Ever.

Offline Flatgod

• Backpacker
« Reply #70 on: November 03, 2013, 05:05:32 AM »

What business is it of yours? If Justin looked at contest placings as a way to measure progression, what does that have to do with you?

As for the Terry trick.. well, think whatever you want. If Justin wants to dial something in, Justin will dial it in. Nobody was as dialed on the same level as Justin. Ever.

And this is where you start to get belligerent for no reason. My initial point was that contests are just a stupid way to measure progress because we have the ability to think for ourselves rather than some random judge doing the thinking for us. What the f*ck should I care about some moron's opinion like some people I don't feel like mentioning at the moment who don't know anything about riding like I do or aren't at that skill level? Some of these guys are complete idiots and you know it! f*ck what they think.

Because we're on a public internet thread talking about it where people are free to share their thoughts. What do you care? I could aim that same stupid question at anyone over the internet, but I won't because it's just STUPID. That is the purpose of internet forums. I think the problem here is that you are going out of your way to defend a friend rather than looking at something objectively.

And no one was ever as dialed as Justin? Not even Trevor?

Offline 2flat2furious

• GF Inhabitant
« Reply #71 on: November 03, 2013, 08:01:00 PM »
And this is where you start to get belligerent for no reason. My initial point was that contests are just a stupid way to measure progress because we have the ability to think for ourselves rather than some random judge doing the thinking for us. What the f*ck should I care about some moron's opinion like some people I don't feel like mentioning at the moment who don't know anything about riding like I do or aren't at that skill level? Some of these guys are complete idiots and you know it! f*ck what they think.

You started talking sh*t about how Justin was riding for the wrong reasons and I got sick of telling you that you don't really know the guy or how he approaches riding.

Because we're on a public internet thread talking about it where people are free to share their thoughts. What do you care? I could aim that same stupid question at anyone over the internet, but I won't because it's just STUPID. That is the purpose of internet forums. I think the problem here is that you are going out of your way to defend a friend rather than looking at something objectively.

We're not really friends as we haven't really kept in touch over the years, but he is someone I respect a great deal. What you said was flat out wrong and I was correcting you. I mean get bent or whatever but you were making claims about what was going on in his head that were just plain wrong.

And no one was ever as dialed as Justin? Not even Trevor?

The level of tricks that Justin was pulling in contest with flawless runs was light years ahead of what Trevor used to do in contest. The two aren't even comparable.

Offline Flatgod

• Backpacker
« Reply #72 on: November 05, 2013, 11:42:14 PM »
[quote author=2flat2furious link=topic=59738.msg456990#msg456990 date=1383505260
The level of tricks that Justin was pulling in contest with flawless runs was light years ahead of what Trevor used to do in contest. The two aren't even comparable.
[/quote]

Fair enough

You started talking sh*t about how Justin was riding for the wrong reasons and I got sick of telling you that you don't really know the guy or how he approaches riding.

This is where you're misinterpreting me as I'm not trying to 'talk sh*t'. I'm merely pointing out an observation of mine and and an interpretation of it as speculation toward an answer to the poster's question. Of course my interpretation could be flawed because I never even met the guy. My point about contests was basically directed toward everyone in general.

Offline 2flat2furious

• GF Inhabitant
« Reply #73 on: November 05, 2013, 11:56:48 PM »
Of course my interpretation could be flawed because I never even met the guy.

::) ::) ::) ::) ::) ::) ::) ::) ::) ::) ::) ::) ::) ::) ::) ::) ::) ::) ::) ::) ::) ::) ::) ::)

Offline locky

• Backpacker
« Reply #74 on: November 06, 2013, 12:13:41 AM »
What about ulrich kittel?

Wheres that guy.

I liked his riding in the early trickstars vids