Author Topic: martii/justin  (Read 27988 times)

Offline Flatgod

• Backpacker
Re: martii/justin
« Reply #30 on: October 31, 2013, 10:55:56 PM »
I'm not ok with the lack of funds for these skilled riders, and I don't expect them to be, either. But to suggest we should be satisfied with just being fit and active is sort of a slap in the face to guys that devote their entire lives to riding with no hope of being supported.

I never said it was okay either. I don't see why people can never seem to understand what I'm saying. I wish all good riders could make bank but the reason you get into riding in the FIRST PLACE should never be for contests or money. This is all I'm saying.

Like if we look closely at Chase as you suggested, you'll probably find that he doesn't really have a booming career outside of riding.

Neither do most other riders.

As far as the highlighted stuff there, all I can say is ask an NBA player if he'd be OK with no paycheck. Mentioning just being physically fit and getting personal satisfaction would probably get you punched. hahaha

I hardly ever compare flatland to other sports because most other sports are comprised of nothing more than jocks and dickhead who never really cared that much for the sport in the first place. These NBA players only went into the sport because of the money and having natural tallness/jump ability. The game is so easy for them and infantile that it's comparable to when a two-year-old pushes plastic shapes into their appropriate holes. Personally, I have always viewed ball games as being for the mentally challenged. The very nature of our sport is completely different -- it's a 'whole different ball game'.

Offline Flatgod

• Backpacker
« Reply #31 on: October 31, 2013, 11:09:50 PM »
I just want to again highlight the difference between riding hard and being the best. Both Martti and Justin were intensely competitive riders. They weren't gifted and happened to speak flatland naturally, they worked for it. Paul O  or Chase or Kevin J ride in a different way.

The reasons you mention for riding are all great, but M and J rode for different reasons. My point is that riding like they did to be the best has shown to be a tortuous and somewhat unfulfilling undertaking.

As far as i understand, Martii ultimately rode for himself. JUSTIN on the other hand rode for different reasons and if he thought he was going to be rich or famous, then he was delusional.

Contrary to what most people think, Chase is not a natural rider. He just simply rides hard. Riding hard and being the best are practically no different. You ride hard to be the best that you can be at what you want to do because you f*cking want to. This is exactly what Chase did. No other reason is needed.

Offline Flatgod

• Backpacker
« Reply #32 on: October 31, 2013, 11:17:55 PM »
And I will add that you can also ride hard while having a job, school, kids, spouse, etc. Plenty of riders know this -- especially the pros in fact. Most other riders have plenty of other things going for them in life at the same time. We are not all a bunch of deranged, obsessive, anti-social hermits as the stupid stereotypical morons have classified us in the past.

Offline 2flat2furious

• GF Inhabitant
« Reply #33 on: October 31, 2013, 11:24:20 PM »
We are not all a bunch of deranged, obsessive, anti-social hermits as the stupid stereotypical morons have classified us in the past.

but i am. i'm just deranged and obsessive with lots of different things other than riding.

Offline Flatgod

• Backpacker
« Reply #34 on: October 31, 2013, 11:24:51 PM »
I don't mean to say that money was the reason Justin and Martti left...I sort of went on a tangent there :)

Actually, I'm pretty sure that is the exact reason Justin left.

Offline 2flat2furious

• GF Inhabitant
« Reply #35 on: October 31, 2013, 11:26:11 PM »
Justin also never rode for riches or fame or anything. He just seriously wanted to be the best. Honestly I think he got there.

Offline Flatgod

• Backpacker
« Reply #36 on: October 31, 2013, 11:30:20 PM »
We are not all a bunch of deranged, obsessive, anti-social hermits as the stupid stereotypical morons have classified us in the past.

but i am. i'm just deranged and obsessive with lots of different things other than riding.

I can be too at times, but so are most people to some degree or another. We all have our quirks, but most of them are benign. It just comes with being a person. And TJ, you also have plenty going for you in life outside of flatland what with your education, music, business, etc.

Offline ortho

• Cliffhanger
« Reply #37 on: October 31, 2013, 11:32:42 PM »
Contrary to what most people think, Chase is not a natural rider. He just simply rides hard. Riding hard and being the best are practically no different. You ride hard to be the best that you can be at what you want to do because you f*cking want to. This is exactly what Chase did. No other reason is needed.

Lol I'm not tryna be argumentative but riding "to be the best that you can be" wasn't even what M + J were after. It was just to win contests. Maybe not their whole life or that that is what got them into flatland originally or even at the very end, but at some point it became this way for them, or maybe i'm misrepresenting history with my own story. Entirely possible. I'm not saying Chase was a natural at it, but I wouldn't characterize his contributions to flatland to be a trophy hunter. He was more of a "soul rider"? Lol that's corny. Like he rode for the stimulation, the puzzles, trances, and mastery things. Anyway the era he is most known for is not really the same kind of heated contest-atmosphere that Martti and Justin rode in post 2000.

Offline Flatgod

• Backpacker
« Reply #38 on: October 31, 2013, 11:34:54 PM »
Justin also never rode for riches or fame or anything. He just seriously wanted to be the best. Honestly I think he got there.

Maybe, but got a different impression of him from plenty of stories that I've heard. These 'rumors' if you want to call them could be false, but after a while of hearing them, I think there is probably some amount of truth behind it.

Offline Flatgod

• Backpacker
« Reply #39 on: October 31, 2013, 11:37:01 PM »

Lol I'm not tryna be argumentative but riding "to be the best that you can be" wasn't even what M + J were after. It was just to win contests. Maybe not their whole life or that that is what got them into flatland originally or even at the very end, but at some point it became this way for them, or maybe i'm misrepresenting history with my own story. Entirely possible. I'm not saying Chase was a natural at it, but I wouldn't characterize his contributions to flatland to be a trophy hunter. He was more of a "soul rider"? Lol that's corny. Like he rode for the stimulation, the puzzles, trances, and mastery things. Anyway the era he is most known for is not really the same kind of heated contest-atmosphere that Martti and Justin rode in post 2000.

Bull -- Martii rode mainly because he wanted to and there were plenty of 'heated' contests back in Chase's era as well.

Offline Flatgod

• Backpacker
« Reply #40 on: October 31, 2013, 11:41:50 PM »
This is why Martii was always inventing new things. He created so much that there is no way he could possibly pull all of it in every contest out there even if he wanted to. If he was concerned solely with contests, he would not have gone out of his way to be THAT damn creative.

Offline ortho

• Cliffhanger
« Reply #41 on: October 31, 2013, 11:53:38 PM »
The REALLY crazy trick era of Martti was after he cooled off on the contest circuit, no? I mean, he was always a monster and inventing things but the truly weird inventive magician stuff was not that long before he recently signed off, but back in the Red Bull COB bird flipping days he was fierce. When you ride like that for contests, you gotta be inventive with new tricks yeah, but not in the same way you would just out on your own. You're riding for consistency and it's brutal and i'd imagine the fun really starts to drain out of it.

Maybe the 90's had heated contests, lol i don't know I wasn't there, I'm just judging by the videos where it just looks like everybody's growing their hair smoking pot in a parking lot kind of intensity.

Offline Flatgod

• Backpacker
« Reply #42 on: November 01, 2013, 12:11:38 AM »
The REALLY crazy trick era of Martti was after he cooled off on the contest circuit, no? I mean, he was always a monster and inventing things but the truly weird inventive magician stuff was not that long before he recently signed off, but back in the Red Bull COB bird flipping days he was fierce. When you ride like that for contests, you gotta be inventive with new tricks yeah, but not in the same way you would just out on your own. You're riding for consistency and it's brutal and i'd imagine the fun really starts to drain out of it.

Maybe the 90's had heated contests, lol i don't know I wasn't there, I'm just judging by the videos where it just looks like everybody's growing their hair smoking pot in a parking lot kind of intensity.

Nope, Martii was inventing weird, crazy sh*t all the time way back in the day before and during his contest days. That's what made him so popular in the first place. He was just as creative during the contest days and I mean he was ALWAYS coming up with new sh*t. Just watch some old Intrikat videos of that era -- one-foot hitch hikers, kickflips, knee-ride steamrollers, no-foot steamrollers, around-the-world variations, etc., etc., etc., etc., etc. It was no different.

Offline ortho

• Cliffhanger
« Reply #43 on: November 01, 2013, 12:27:32 AM »
You may have me on the historical angle again as I've had to learn about all this after it happened since I really just started flatland in 2009. And nowadays so many people have taken the tricks from those videos and made them normal that maybe I don't realize how crazy they were when they were invented. Am I wrong though, didn't he give it up in part because he had overdone it in the past or something like that? He didn't stop because he lost interest or was injured. I guess he did get a real job around that time so money was likely part of it.

Offline ortho

• Cliffhanger
« Reply #44 on: November 01, 2013, 12:28:55 AM »
Well actually nobody does most of those tricks haha.