Author Topic: Freecoaster Ghost Pedalling  (Read 2818 times)

Offline AJDZGN

• adamjohnston.ca
Freecoaster Ghost Pedalling
« on: October 23, 2013, 04:28:02 PM »
Anyone have and solve this issue? I have a new Federal V3 with a few weeks of riding on it. It ghost pedals forwards most of the time and backwards every now and then. The chain isn't too tight or too loose, but when I pedal the cranks with my hand it feels pretty sluggish. Are the cone nuts too tight? Are the driver bearings shot? Does it just need time to break in? I took everything apart and re-greased, but still no luck.

:angry:

Offline DaddyCool

• Deathtrucker
Re: Freecoaster Ghost Pedalling
« Reply #1 on: October 23, 2013, 09:06:18 PM »
Hi,
what do you mean exactly? Does the crank spin during a trick when you roll forward? If the crank spins backwards during backwards riding, the system is not disengaged.
For this type of hub I would recommend to tighten the cone nuts only by hand until no side to side play is left.
In general you should not have your cranks set to move to easily. Most people tighten their chain for this purpose. If the crank moved during a trick, the hub can engage unintentionally.
Was the hub brand new? Eventually it takes some time, but I would not expect more than two or three sessions. My KHE-type coasters were perfect from the first moment.

Offline AJDZGN

• adamjohnston.ca
« Reply #2 on: October 25, 2013, 04:23:35 AM »
Loosening off the cone nut pretty much fixed it. Thanks dude. It still feels pretty tight and sluggish when pedalling though - I think the bearings are toast. Pretty weak for a brand new hub.

Offline back2flat35

• Backpacker
« Reply #3 on: October 25, 2013, 02:24:30 PM »
those driver bearing suck,but that being said, i have owned 3 v2's and only had 1 problem with a bad shell. looseneing the cone nut on drive side and only tighten 1/4 turn at most.u should be fine

Offline AJDZGN

• adamjohnston.ca
« Reply #4 on: October 25, 2013, 06:05:00 PM »
Yeah, I think I'm just going to order some new bearings. It's not a huge amount of cash to blow, but something I shouldn't really have to do with a brand new hub!

Offline DaddyCool

• Deathtrucker
« Reply #5 on: October 26, 2013, 05:23:00 PM »
Good to hear that it works more or less now. Maybe the cone nut being to tight damaged the bearings. Super tight chains are also not helpful for the lifetime of the bearings...
Good luck with the new ones.

Offline AJDZGN

• adamjohnston.ca
« Reply #6 on: October 27, 2013, 06:58:03 AM »
Good to hear that it works more or less now. Maybe the cone nut being to tight damaged the bearings. Super tight chains are also not helpful for the lifetime of the bearings...
Good luck with the new ones.

Thanks man. Pretty sure that's what caused it. Good thing replacements are only $20...