Author Topic: Global-flat: Trick Section  (Read 9006 times)

Offline Mr News Bot

• Robot
  • GF Inhabitant
    • global-flat
Global-flat: Trick Section
« on: August 12, 2007, 06:38:00 PM »
A few weeks ago the VFi website ( Virtual Flatland Instructor ) and global-flat decided to merge. Today we are proud to present the result of the integration: the new Trick section . We are going to collect text and video tutorials of flatland tricks in this section. A couple of tricks are already online and waiting for you. One of the main ideas of the VFi website was to give visitors the opportunity to request new tutorials. We picked up that idea so you can find a request form in the Trick section as well. If you need help with a certain trick which is not covered so far then please use this form to tell us.
We also want to know your opinion on the difficulty of tricks. That's why you can rate the difficulty of every single trick. Beginner can benefit from the ratings of more experienced riders and find easy tricks to start with.
We would like to thank Matt Wilhelm who provides a few parts of the Ground Rules DVD  for our new section. Kevin Czahor  the founder of VFi is going to be in charge of the new section. Welcome to the team Kevin!

Thlayli

Re: Global-flat: Trick Section
« Reply #1 on: August 12, 2007, 07:38:42 PM »
This should be made into a sticky thread.

Offline Haro Master

• Hitchhiker
« Reply #2 on: August 12, 2007, 09:10:46 PM »
yay thnx guys, was actually wondering what happened to the merge. it looks great I take my hat off to you guys :beer:. Ride on

Offline ARTUR

• Cliffhanger
  • Pikachu!
« Reply #3 on: August 12, 2007, 09:47:52 PM »
Looks Awesome!
Alright Kevin, well done!

Offline kebab

• Forkglider
« Reply #4 on: August 12, 2007, 11:34:21 PM »
The commentry in the backwards hang 5 vid mae me laugh. good work anyway i'm sure these will help me out.

Offline Siard

• Forkglider
« Reply #5 on: August 13, 2007, 12:16:34 PM »
Thx allot for this!  ;D :beer:

Offline KatieH

• Forkglider
« Reply #6 on: August 13, 2007, 01:05:09 PM »
Awesome! :D

Offline spertia

« Reply #7 on: August 13, 2007, 04:17:28 PM »
Very cool news.  Thanks to everyone who has made this section of the site happen.

Surely the whiplash is in the wrong category?  I don't see how a whiplash could be considered a beginner trick while a regular tailwhip is listed as an intermediary trick.

Offline HighSpeed

• Funky Chicken
« Reply #8 on: August 13, 2007, 04:47:35 PM »
Yeah.. It's only to be assumed that people are gonna vote inaccurately with the difficulties.. :rolleyes:

BMXfreak

« Reply #9 on: August 13, 2007, 05:13:41 PM »
kev you should put the tricks into the right categories to get ride of the confusion but still let people vote on the difficulty of each trick, but it wont affect which category its placed in, just an idea

Offline Kev

• Team
  • Cliffhanger
  • Did you see what I said?
    • Virtual Flatland instructor
« Reply #10 on: August 13, 2007, 07:01:13 PM »
kev you should put the tricks into the right categories to get ride of the confusion but still let people vote on the difficulty of each trick, but it wont affect which category its placed in, just an idea

Yeah, I'll have Martin fix it up. 

Anyway, sorry that there isn't much more content yet other than what is on VFi (which will be taken down shortly)...It's been a crazy past 2 months and I'm still on the road.  Hopefully, after I get back Thursday, things are going to start to get back to normal for me and I can concentrate on getting things back up to speed!  PLEASE, don't flood me with trick requests just yet....I know there are still a bunch of intermediate/Advanced stuff that I'm trying to get online, so give it a week or so and see what you see, because chances are I can't get to it until then anyway.  Thanks guys!

-Kev

**EDIT**  - And just to give credit where it's due, I'll pre-thank TJ Perry as he will the source of most of your Advanced tricks to come.  And also need to thank Artur from Hawaii (German Cyclist on the forums here) for helping me start VFi in Colorado.  Artur is a great, young rider who performed a lot of the tricks for the site.  Thanks Artur.

Looking at the requests, the first 3 requests are Turbined Cliffhanger, X-footed Hitchiker and Pedal Time Machines.  You guys have to give me time with the harder tricks, because I have to film them at TJ's convenience.  They will get done, but please be patient. 
« Last Edit: August 13, 2007, 07:16:10 PM by Kev »

Offline ARTUR

• Cliffhanger
  • Pikachu!
« Reply #11 on: August 13, 2007, 08:57:18 PM »

Yeah, I'll have Martin fix it up. 

Anyway, sorry that there isn't much more content yet other than what is on VFi (which will be taken down shortly)...It's been a crazy past 2 months and I'm still on the road.  Hopefully, after I get back Thursday, things are going to start to get back to normal for me and I can concentrate on getting things back up to speed!  PLEASE, don't flood me with trick requests just yet....I know there are still a bunch of intermediate/Advanced stuff that I'm trying to get online, so give it a week or so and see what you see, because chances are I can't get to it until then anyway.  Thanks guys!

-Kev

**EDIT**  - And just to give credit where it's due, I'll pre-thank TJ Perry as he will the source of most of your Advanced tricks to come.  And also need to thank Artur from Hawaii (German Cyclist on the forums here) for helping me start VFi in Colorado.  Artur is a great, young rider who performed a lot of the tricks for the site.  Thanks Artur.

Looking at the requests, the first 3 requests are Turbined Cliffhanger, X-footed Hitchiker and Pedal Time Machines.  You guys have to give me time with the harder tricks, because I have to film them at TJ's convenience.  They will get done, but please be patient. 

Thanks man!
Its looking good, I am stoked that this turned out the way it did.  Its a win/win for everyone.  Man i have to give you Props for giving the flatland community a great service.  I am glad i could help with whatever i could.  Flatland is like Ohana, Ohana is family.
 :beer:

Offline Vic

• Cliffhanger
  • New Zealand
« Reply #12 on: August 14, 2007, 04:24:54 AM »
the volume for the commentary videos is too quiet, I have to turn it up to full to hear it, then when I open a video with music it's loud as! btw you say "scuff" when you should be saying "kick" for the squeaker and hang5 vids. Kick is pulling the tire backwards, scuff is a another technique on it's own. Might confuse people who are new to flatland terminology.

don't forget BMX Stunts, they've got heaps, lots of old skool stuff too: http://www.bmxstunts.com/quicktime/t1htm/endo.htm
griOt: "I suggest start learning Hang5. This trick will open a lot of doors, such as courage"

Offline Kev

• Team
  • Cliffhanger
  • Did you see what I said?
    • Virtual Flatland instructor
« Reply #13 on: August 14, 2007, 05:57:30 AM »
the volume for the commentary videos is too quiet, I have to turn it up to full to hear it, then when I open a video with music it's loud as! btw you say "scuff" when you should be saying "kick" for the squeaker and hang5 vids. Kick is pulling the tire backwards, scuff is a another technique on it's own. Might confuse people who are new to flatland terminology.

don't forget BMX Stunts, they've got heaps, lots of old skool stuff too: http://www.bmxstunts.com/quicktime/t1htm/endo.htm

Dude,..we've done away with the commentary...those videos are old.  Scuff means kicking the tire without braking (i.e. dragging your foot as a brake)....squeak means scuffing with a brake....we've been through this.  gd.
« Last Edit: August 14, 2007, 05:59:41 AM by Kev »

Offline Vic

• Cliffhanger
  • New Zealand
« Reply #14 on: August 14, 2007, 06:33:34 AM »
Isn't scuffing using your foot as a brake while going forwards? Thats what I learnt from ground rules anyway. I've never heard scuffing with a brake called squeaking.
griOt: "I suggest start learning Hang5. This trick will open a lot of doors, such as courage"